The Student Room Group

Climate change denialists!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MatureStudent36
I'm not saying that I don't think it's happening. I'm just worried about the fact that we're making an assumption based on trying to model a massivley complex system with so many variables that we don't fully understand. After all, so far we haven't seem any of teh doom and gloom predictions coming to fruition as have been predicted, although I acknowledge that that may be because the media picking worse case scenarios.

Since you insist on continually bringing these up I must ask you for some examples of events that where predicted to have happened by now but haven't to date, and some sources to go along with them, when I say sources I mean reliable ones. Not some tree hugger's blog about how the oil companies are masking the effects of climate change and by 2007 the highlands will be all that remain of Scotland, and Wales (minus Snowdonia) and Ireland no longer exist will have disappeared into the North Sea and London will be underwater.

As for the media, according to one source Madeline McCann was found in Dublin the other week, according to another, the biggest threat to humanity is actually a non-aggressive, relatively harmless spider and everyone needs to panic because it is going to be cold in a month or so...Cold in winter? Who conjured up that nonsense?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
Since you insist on continually bringing these up I must ask you for some examples of events that where predicted to have happened by now but haven't to date, and some sources to go along with them, when I say sources I mean reliable ones. Not some tree hugger's blog about how the oil companies are masking the effects of climate change and by 2007 the highlands will be all that remain of Scotland, and Wales (minus Snowdonia) and Ireland no longer exist will have disappeared into the North Sea and London will be underwater.

As for the media, according to one source Madeline McCann was found in Dublin the other week, according to another, the biggest threat to humanity is actually a non-aggressive, relatively harmless spider and everyone needs to panic because it is going to be cold in a month or so...Cold in winter? Who conjured up that nonsense?

Ice free North pole by 2013.
Continued increase in surface temperature - Stable since the late 90s.
Global warming is killing Polar bears.
Sinking Pacific Islands - http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/south-pacific-islands-threatened-by-more-than-just-rising-sea-levels-a-838675.html

There's bull s**t and bluster on both sides of teh debate.
Sinking Pacific Islands - http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/south-pacific-islands-threatened-by-more-than-just-rising-sea-levels-a-838675.html

It's important to note that this "bulls**t bluster" isn't coming from the scientific community. Claims made by both sides of the debate should always be checked against their scientific source (if any). Even so, there is an overwhelming scientific consensus in favour of anthropogenic climate change.

P.S. Temperatures haven't been stable since the 90's. The 00's was the warmest decade on modern record, but an exceptional high in 1998 (due to a strong El Nino) and a low in the late 2000's (due to a strong La Nina) caused a statistical downward trend in the running average for the period, even though average annual temperatures continued to increase most years (and still are).
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Dandaman1
It's important to note that this "bulls**t bluster" isn't coming from the scientific community. Claims made by both sides of the debate should always be checked against their scientific source (if any). Even so, there is an overwhelming scientific consensus in favour of anthropogenic climate change.

P.S. Temperatures haven't been stable since the 90's. The 00's was the warmest decade on modern record, but an exceptional high in 1998 (due to a strong El Nino) and a low in the late 2000's (due to a strong La Nina) caused a statistic downward trend in the running average for the period, even though average annual temperatures continued to increase most years (and still are).

and herin lies the problem. There is a significant scientific consensus that the climate has changed, but there is no consensus that its man made or at least to what extent it's man made. There is no scientific consensus that AGW is an overall bad thing or a good thing.

There are fringes on both sides that are distorting what scientists say, and there's scientists also getting in on it.

tou may want to check. Temperatures have been stable since 00s. They haven't gone up and they haven't gone down. That's stable. Average annual temperatures haven't increased.
(edited 10 years ago)

Polar bears are currently on the endangered species list, though global warming isn't directly killing them it isn't helping the species.

The ice free Arctic by 2013 is the first I've heard of that, I'm assuming it was floating around in the 80s or something, but I doubt that was widely accepted.

As of the land masses shrinking, you really can't link it directly to the climate. The same natural laws and processes that have been active throughout the history of the universe are still in operation today, as entire continents let alone islands have are thought to have come and gone it makes sense that this can still happen today. That said, rising sea levels is hardly going to do many favours for a sinking island, much like with the polar bear.

As for the surface temperatures a key thing to remember is that while they have been stable for 15years, they have also been above average for that same decade and a half. Also this is worth a read, whether you decide to believe it or not doesn't matter really.
http://news.medill.northwestern.edu/chicago/news.aspx?id=224921
The debate is wether we are causing climate change or compounding climate change. I believe we are compounding it and that the earths pole reversal is causing it but then again that is irrelevant.

What is important is the fact that it is happening and we need to stop arguing and work out how to deal with it once it all goes tits up. It doesn't really matter anymore what is causing climate change because it's got to the stage now that by the time we have changed our minds a few more times (which is inevitable) it will be too late

This doesn't mean we should keep trying to destroy the planet. Pollution makes the world very unpleasant and I'd love to see the back of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sammy Lanka
The debate is wether we are causing climate change or compounding climate change. I believe we are compounding it and that the earths pole reversal is causing it but then again that is irrelevant.

What is important is the fact that it is happening and we need to stop arguing and work out how to deal with it once it all goes tits up. It doesn't really matter anymore what is causing climate change because it's got to the stage now that by the time we have changed our minds a few more times (which is inevitable) it will be too late

This doesn't mean we should keep trying to destroy the planet. Pollution makes the world very unpleasant and I'd love to see the back of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

you do raise a valid point. I remember reading this last year and there were indications that this would have some impact on the climate.

However the environmental lobby have jumped onto this one and tried to link pole reversal to AGW.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=climate-change-has-shifted-location-north-south-poles
and herin lies the problem. There is a significant scientific consensus that the climate has changed, but there is no consensus that its man made or at least to what extent it's man made. There is no scientific consensus that AGW is an overall bad thing or a good thing.

There are fringes on both sides that are distorting what scientists say, and there's scientists also getting in on it.

tou may want to check. Temperatures have been stable since 00s. They haven't gone up and they haven't gone down. That's stable. Average annual temperatures haven't increased.

'Stable' means no change. Looking over the temperatures for the past two decades, it is anything but stable. Again, the 10-year running average hasn't risen, but this is because of the influence of statistical anomalies, namely 1998 and 2010. Looking over the temperature records for the past 100 years, the current 'lull' is nothing significant or trend-defying. Five and ten-year running averages rise, fall and flatten throughout the 20th century, but the overall temperature trend is still upward. It was never a constant, smooth increase.

There is a very clear consensus that it's man made. Have you not read any of the IPCC reports? Or any climate science literature?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 88
The debate should be whether or not anyone has the slightest clue at all - the so-called scientists included.

The same "studies" that are supposed to show that the earth is warming are the same studies that cherry-picked to exclude data that showed that the earth was cooling as CO2 increased.

Do you have the slightest idea what all this doom mongering is based on? Do you really know what it is that makes the IPCC believe that the world is about to end?

Two clumps of trees that some scientists drilled some holes into.

That's it. From that, we are spending trillions of dollars - because of two clumps of trees.
(edited 10 years ago)
Polar bears are currently on the endangered species list, though global warming isn't directly killing them it isn't helping the species.

The ice free Arctic by 2013 is the first I've heard of that, I'm assuming it was floating around in the 80s or something, but I doubt that was widely accepted.

As of the land masses shrinking, you really can't link it directly to the climate. The same natural laws and processes that have been active throughout the history of the universe are still in operation today, as entire continents let alone islands have are thought to have come and gone it makes sense that this can still happen today. That said, rising sea levels is hardly going to do many favours for a sinking island, much like with the polar bear.

As for the surface temperatures a key thing to remember is that while they have been stable for 15years, they have also been above average for that same decade and a half. Also this is worth a read, whether you decide to believe it or not doesn't matter really.
http://news.medill.northwestern.edu/chicago/news.aspx?id=224921

Ice free Artic by 2013. By Aunty in 2007. Lets remember that they're quite supportive of the climate change concept.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7139797.stm

Temperatiures have risen since 1950. But could you please tell me what the average global temperature is meant to be? If I measure the speed at which a pendulum swings, dpeneding on at what point I measure it's movement, depends on what 'average' temperature I get. What's the average gradient of a Sin wave?

Here's one Graph og global temperature over the past 2000 years.

.2000-years-of-global-temperature.jpg
Ice free Artic by 2013. By Aunty in 2007. Lets remember that they're quite supportive of the climate change concept.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7139797.stm

Temperatiures have risen since 1950. But could you please tell me what the average global temperature is meant to be? If I measure the speed at which a pendulum swings, dpeneding on at what point I measure it's movement, depends on what 'average' temperature I get. What's the average gradient of a Sin wave?

Here's one Graph og global temperature over the past 2000 years.

.2000-years-of-global-temperature.jpg

I believe it stated that some parts of the northern arctic seas will be free of ice during the summer months. Hardly a full scale genocide of Arctic ice now is it. Not to mention that that report was a projection based on the rising temperatures, which as we both know, the increase did not continue. And lastly, that projection was not widely accepted, yet here you are stating it as if it were being preached by all 'climate change mostly due to humans' scientists as if it were a written in a letter sent from Jupiter himself.

Lastly, that graph is largely inaccurate, for one, the section coined 'little ice age' was not a global phenomenon, the southern hemisphere remained relatively normal while it was the Northern hemisphere which was subject to such temperature drops. Likewise with the 'medieval warm period', that too was a regional phenomenon and does not indicate an overall rise in temperature.

For example, if it really were true that overall temperatures are not as warm now as they had been in the past, what is the cause of the rapidly retreating glaciers across the world, from New Zealand all the way to Iceland? Simply, it is because the planet has been warmer now than at any other point during the medieval period.

Another issue with this graph is that it seems to just peter off with a dotted line around the 20th century. The issue we are faced with is not how warm the temperature has been, it is how warm it is getting.
I believe it stated that some parts of the northern arctic seas will be free of ice during the summer months. Hardly a full scale genocide of Arctic ice now is it. Not to mention that that report was a projection based on the rising temperatures, which as we both know, the increase did not continue. And lastly, that projection was not widely accepted, yet here you are stating it as if it were being preached by all 'climate change mostly due to humans' scientists as if it were a written in a letter sent from Jupiter himself.

Lastly, that graph is largely inaccurate, for one, the section coined 'little ice age' was not a global phenomenon, the southern hemisphere remained relatively normal while it was the Northern hemisphere which was subject to such temperature drops. Likewise with the 'medieval warm period', that too was a regional phenomenon and does not indicate an overall rise in temperature.

For example, if it really were true that overall temperatures are not as warm now as they had been in the past, what is the cause of the rapidly retreating glaciers across the world, from New Zealand all the way to Iceland? Simply, it is because the planet has been warmer now than at any other point during the medieval period.

Another issue with this graph is that it seems to just peter off with a dotted line around the 20th century. The issue we are faced with is not how warm the temperature has been, it is how warm it is getting.

the reason for the rapidly retreating glaciers may be localised events, seeing as your using localised events to try and disprove my point.

After all, some glaciers have expanded whilst other glaciers have grown.
Reply 92

So why is it that when there is a graph showing the Medieval Warm Period - that suddenly becomes a regional phenomenon, (only affecting a part of the earth large enough to allow people to walk between continents) - but when Climate scientists take tiny sets of data from literally a few clumps of trees - that's supposed to be unequivocal evidence of worldwide global temperature rise?
you do raise a valid point. I remember reading this last year and there were indications that this would have some impact on the climate.

However the environmental lobby have jumped onto this one and tried to link pole reversal to AGW.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=climate-change-has-shifted-location-north-south-poles

I'm sorry but what kind of bs is that article. The earths poles have been shifting since the start of the planet. This is coming from an environmentalist btw.

Basically we know that every 350000 years or so the earths poles weaken to 0% and then strengthen but in a reversed orientation. In 1800 the weakening process began. The weakening occurs at a rate of about 5% every century. Weaker poles mean a weaker magnetosphere allowing more solar radiation to hit the planet leading to global warming

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="Lanka;45014483" Sammy="Sammy"]I'm sorry but what kind of bs is that article. The earths poles have been shifting since the start of the planet. This is coming from an environmentalist btw.

Basically we know that every 350000 years or so the earths poles weaken to 0% and then strengthen but in a reversed orientation. In 1800 the weakening process began. The weakening occurs at a rate of about 5% every century. Weaker poles mean a weaker magnetosphere allowing more solar radiation to hit the planet leading to global warming

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE

I'm fully aware its BS. But I'm merely highlighting that anything that happens now seems to be greeting linked to AGW.
[QUOTE="MatureStudent36;45014742"]
I'm sorry but what kind of bs is that article. The earths poles have been shifting since the start of the planet. This is coming from an environmentalist btw.

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE

I'm fully aware its BS. But I'm merely highlighting that anything that happens now seems to be greeting linked to AGW.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was not suggesting you believed the article. I was simply making a comment on the article

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't you agree that when people are evacuating flood risk land as we speak there is something wrong with people's lax attitudes to climate change

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which flood areas would those be? The ones that are in flood risk areas that have had floods since the dawn if time. The flood risk areas that have been compounded by poor planning, lack of maintenance if drainage systems, urbanisation and changes to farming activities?

those flood risk areas.

i remember the news reports about

Here's a place that flooded in 2004 that they tried to link with climate change.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynmouth_Flood
Reply 97
Are you sure you know what you're posting?

I'm pretty sure that virtually no-one knows the actual state of the climate, despite the multiple billions spent and that there are a small numbers of researchers that hold themselves out to be experts.

On your link to the UCAR graphs - two things.

1. What is the point of the article? Last 100 years? Who cares? How about the last 2000 years? 100 years isn't enough to establish any kind of pattern, and what should be concerned about is whether the current temperatures are (a) high and (b) unprecedented.

2. What are these temperature graphs based on? Averages of instrumental temperatures? Bore holes? Tree rings? What evidence is there that this data is accurate? In the year 1900, how much of the world could be said to have reliable meteorology stations making accurate records?

Bottom line is still the same - we are in a state of ignorance over the climate, both current and historical. Why then is the automatic assumption that there is a catastrophe looming?
Which flood areas would those be? The ones that are in flood risk areas that have had floods since the dawn if time. The flood risk areas that have been compounded by poor planning, lack of maintenance if drainage systems, urbanisation and changes to farming activities?

those flood risk areas.

i remember the news reports about

Here's a place that flooded in 2004 that they tried to link with climate change.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynmouth_Flood

I am talking about many Pacific Islanders who have relocated to SE Aisia

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am talking about many Pacific Islanders who have relocated to SE Aisia

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which ones would those be.

Can you please read this article before you post a reply though.

http://m.spiegel.de/international/world/a-838675.html#spRedirectedFrom=www&referrrer=https://www.google.co.uk/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending