The Student Room Group

Ever had to go to the job center

if you have ever had to go to the job center you know how it makes you feel like your degree and skills are worthless for example if you are looking for bar work (lets face it there is not much skill in pulling pints) you need two years experience behind a bar before you can eve be considered for the job and this is true for all jobs advertised apart from scam jobs any way i just found this on the net and I thought that it would be interesting for anyone that has been forced to go to the job center or is about to go for the first time

http://adragonsbestfriend.wordpress.com/2011/09/28/today-at-the-job-centre/
Reply 1
Original post by New- Emperor
if you have ever had to go to the job center you know how it makes you feel like your degree and skills are worthless for example if you are looking for bar work (lets face it there is not much skill in pulling pints) you need two years experience behind a bar before you can eve be considered for the job and this is true for all jobs advertised apart from scam jobs any way i just found this on the net and I thought that it would be interesting for anyone that has been forced to go to the job center or is about to go for the first time

Well, you should be lucky that you get at least something. In my country is even worse.. In order to get 80 pounds a month (that's converting my currency into pounds) you have to have 1,5 years of experience, well basically if you want to claim 80 pounds a month benefit, you had to be in work for 1,5 years.. This is impossible if you are full-time student living in a small town where it's not even possible to work part-time in a shop because all of them ask for experience and supermarkets only want full-time staff.

If you are graduate, you won't get any training because they told me I have already a degree so it means I'm not entitled for any training. After 6 months of being in Jobcentre they send you to clean streets.

UK Jobcentres may be useless but at least you get something while you find something better. It's worth getting through all that rather than being with empty pockets.
Reply 2
hay don't have a go at me just because I reposed some guys blog it's not my fault that your country is in the ****ter
Reply 3
hay don't have a go at me just because I reposed some guys blog it's not my fault that your country is in the ****ter

I wasn't having a go at you :erm:
Reply 4

The Jobcentre are all about targets. They aren't there to help you. They're there to work towards targets that are difficult to achieve. There might be some good advisors, but most are crap IMO. They really are on a power trip. They hate it when you know more than them.

In my experience in the Jobcentre, it really is a depressing experience. It's like they don't even mention the advantages and positives you have. Jobcentre advisors are all gloomy and negative Normans. To the Jobcentre all unemployed persons are dirty Dole Scroungers who just wanna get home so they can catch Jeremy Kyle in time.

IMO the Jobcentre should be helping people gain sustainable employment and not just throw everyone in an high street retailer's factory working for an agency (these people will only be back on the dole next week)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
I really disliked going to the job centre. My advisor would make me apply for jobs and then when I wasn't successful she would look on the system to find out why and apparently I was over qualified. Then I told her I applied for jobs in my field she tried to say the jobs were not for me (I didn't take it on board). when I got invited to interviews she was very surprised and all of a sudden wanted to be supportive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending