The Student Room Group

Need advice on which med schools to apply to

My background:

Education - I have a BA in Psychology (3.2 GPA from Baylor University in Texas) and MSc in Clinical Neuroscience (B average from UCL Institute of Neurology)

UKCAT - my score is an 835 average (VR 770, QR 780, AR 900, DA 890) and Band 1 for SJ.

Work - Have worked in hospital since January 2011 as a Medical Secretary, Admin Assistant, Clinician's Assistant, have shadowed on a ward for a week, training to be a Health Care Assistant starting next month (including venepuncture training)

I've narrowed my choices down to 5 schools and cannot decide which to cut out.

KCL GEP - This is my #1 choice
Warwick GEP - Location isn't ideal, but it's the biggest programme so that might help
Newcastle GEP - Worst location, but most likely to get into the GEP
UEA 5Y - This is a back-up, decent location and I have a friend doing medicine there
Cardiff 5Y - Also a back-up, seems like a nice location, but I have no clue how competitive it is to get in

Should I go with 3 GEP/1 5Y or 2/2? Are any of those out of the question, or are any guarantees?

Thanks in advance for any help! :smile:
Original post by ChristianneG
My background:

Education - I have a BA in Psychology (3.2 GPA from Baylor University in Texas) and MSc in Clinical Neuroscience (B average from UCL Institute of Neurology)

UKCAT - my score is an 835 average (VR 770, QR 780, AR 900, DA 890) and Band 1 for SJ.

Work - Have worked in hospital since January 2011 as a Medical Secretary, Admin Assistant, Clinician's Assistant, have shadowed on a ward for a week, training to be a Health Care Assistant starting next month (including venepuncture training)

I've narrowed my choices down to 5 schools and cannot decide which to cut out.

KCL GEP - This is my #1 choice
Warwick GEP - Location isn't ideal, but it's the biggest programme so that might help
Newcastle GEP - Worst location, but most likely to get into the GEP
UEA 5Y - This is a back-up, decent location and I have a friend doing medicine there
Cardiff 5Y - Also a back-up, seems like a nice location, but I have no clue how competitive it is to get in

Should I go with 3 GEP/1 5Y or 2/2? Are any of those out of the question, or are any guarantees?

Thanks in advance for any help! :smile:

Hi Christianne

The wiki (link in the top left of this page) has an article on competition ratios for the 5yr programmes, but I don't know if there are stats for the 4yr ones.

I'm not sure why you commented "worst location" about Newcastle. If you're thinking of distance from London (airports), then I'd advise that an extra 1-2 hours travelling would be a small price to pay if they are offering the right course for you.

HTH, and good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending