The Student Room Group

Failed driving test 4 times

hey everyone, thought id join in..

So started learning when i was 18 and passed theory 2nd time, then went to uni, couldnt afford lessons, theory test expired.

Left it a few years, started again when i was 21, im 22 now, i passed my theory again 2nd time.. then started learning with a different guy, he was VILE, but i was so used to driving his car so i didnt change! got me through 4 tests which i all failed on,

1 - was so nervous a disaster kept stalling etc etc cant remember minors/majors
2 - nearly ran someone over on a ped crossing :/
3 - ran a red
4 - indicator flicked off at side of road 'misleading other drivers'

so changed instructors have a really nice lady now, and have my test october 1st... 5th time lucky maybe LOL

Allowed myself to buy a car, so got a 02 plate renault clio now, brought it a week or so ago, got my plates on, been driving with a mate, perfectly, just keep stalling now and again.. renaults are known for bad clutches, no excuse i swear :wink:

I did nearly reverse into the wall out of a bay yesterday when i went nandos.. oops LOL other than that my driving is fine!

I did all 3 manovers in hinckley (leicestershire, where im taking test) perfectly on friday!

Just fall apart on the day of test.

Got mine 11.41 on tues 1st oct..

Any advice is appreciated, tried kalms and rescue remedy :/

Holly x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Relax

I passed fifth time

it'll kill you no end and feel like there is nothing worse but once you pass (you will eventually) the relief is massive
Reply 2
Original post by princesshollyx

So started learning when i was 18 and passed theory 2nd time, then went to uni, couldnt afford lessons, theory test expired.

Left it a few years, started again when i was 21, im 22 now, i passed my theory again 2nd time.. then started learning with a different guy, he was VILE, but i was so used to driving his car so i didnt change! got me through 4 tests which i all failed on,

3 - ran a red

so changed instructors have a really nice lady now, and have my test october 1st... 5th time lucky maybe LOL

Allowed myself to buy a car, so got a 02 plate renault clio now, brought it a week or so ago, got my plates on, been driving with a mate, perfectly, just keep stalling now and again.. renaults are known for bad clutches, no excuse i swear :wink:

I did nearly reverse into the wall out of a bay yesterday when i went nandos.. oops LOL other than that my driving is fine!

I did all 3 manovers in hinckley (leicestershire, where im taking test) perfectly on friday!

Holly x

My Aunt is a driving instructor and she has got pupils who have failed there test 5+ times and they have passed with her you need to get an instructor that you can relate to not a car because in the future you are going to probably get a different car. My aunt says to pretend it is the instructor who is in the car with you (to keep you calmer) but you need to like the instructor before hand or else that's not going to be any good. Change instructor and pretend the test is just another lesson.
Reply 3
heres my story if you need motivation to keep going (5 times to pass, shockingly bad luck but since then i havent had a crash, i've drove vans for royal mail and i've just come back from six months driving in new zealand - so ignore anyone who says you're a **** driver etc!). although i think with you, you work yourself up too much when on your tests. maybe the doctor could give you something?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1555111
Reply 4
Honestly wouldnt worry about it. Some people take a lot longer to pass due to various reasons. Continue with it.
I've literally just passed on my 4th time, I was a lot like you're describing, uncontrollably nervous, the thought of sitting the test once its booked really takes it out of you and you feel like youll inevitably fail it because every time you fail it seems to become harder and harder. But fear not.

What you should do is forget about your previous tests, focus on your weaknesses and strengths and treat it like your real test and the previous were mocks.

I found it very helpful to take some anti stress medication, you can pick some stuff up from a chemist, it takes the edge off although you are still somewhat nervous

Chew some gum or a chewy sweet, it detracts some procrastination for the chewing and the taste as well as takes some possible shaking.

Take your time, even if you risk hesitating, you can have 15 minors, but no majors, if theres even an outside chance of a major occurring don't take it, just wait, times on your side.

Best of luck, I really feel for you. You will pass eventually though. Just keep going!
Reply 6
i've got my fifth today too! i feel awful as I'm so use to failing! did u pass on october 1st btw??
Reply 7
its only a driving test ..you will get there ...running over a pedestrian almost ? its just nerves I am sure you are a cognizant driver in real life ! it happens to all test takers! good luck for next time
Reply 8
Ive failed three times and am about to sit my fourth test. To be honest, I wouldn't mind as much if it were just for being crap but I'm a decent enough driver and the fails were for unfortunate one-offs (well, the second two were - the first one I was just a hideous bucket of nerves!). All I want to do is pass this stupid test. The last one I failed for driving too close to parked cars and I was raging because I just got the feeling that a different examiner wouldn't have noted it as being serious.

There's no point in dwelling on the previous tests, however, just focus on passing this time! If you think it is purely the test situation that is causing you to fail then try the rescue remedy etc and look up some techniques online. I was shaking like a leaf throughout my tests!

3 - ran a red

Holly x

Did you pass? :smile:
I just failed my 4th today! just towards the end when this yanky van driver started driving too close into me despite the bad weather! my examiner said I breaked too harsh .....
Original post by TheGhostz
LOL it's always women who can't drive! And to think they want to be treated equally!

And where is your evidence to back this up then. I passed my test first time perfectly fine
LOL it's always women who can't drive! And to think they want to be treated equally!

inb4 fe-oh wait.
Original post by Mmmmmmbgh
And where is your evidence to back this up then. I passed my test first time perfectly fine

In this thread and in the real world, it's always women who can't drive. Please don't shoot the messenger, I'm simply stating the truth.
In this thread and in the real world, it's always women who can't drive. Please don't shoot the messenger, I'm simply stating the truth.

That doesn't mean anything. It depends how you were taught. I was taught to get up to the speed limits if you can. But then I was taught to be a safe driver and not to just pass a test. And let me tell you I can drive very well for a fact!
That doesn't mean anything. It depends how you were taught. I was taught to get up to the speed limits if you can. But then I was taught to be a safe driver and not to just pass a test. And let me tell you I can drive very well for a fact!

Yes, yes but you're a woman, you all think you can drive when in reality you are terrible at driving.

Women are only allowed to drive because of equal rights and you can definitely tell.

3 - ran a red

Holly x

You're 22 yet you type like you're 10.

My advice is to keep trying and learn punctuation and grammar.
Yes, yes but you're a woman, you all think you can drive when in reality you are terrible at driving.

Women are only allowed to drive because of equal rights and you can definitely tell.

If you think men can drive well you need to learn something and that is the truth.

You think you're so funny trying to bringing equal rights and your ****ed up opinions into this! It has nothing to do with that
If you think men can drive well you need to learn something and that is the truth.

You think you're so funny trying to bringing equal rights and your ****ed up opinions into this! It has nothing to do with that

What happened to everyone's entitled to their own opinion? It's not my fault that we have different opinions and my opinion makes you angry lol.

You sound like an insecure female who also has failed your driving test numerous times as you're useless at driving.
What happened to everyone's entitled to their own opinion? It's not my fault that we have different opinions and my opinion makes you angry lol.

You sound like an insecure female who also has failed your driving test numerous times as you're useless at driving.

I'm just defending people who deserve to have a bit of respect just because they can't get it first time.

And for your information I passed mine first time with only 4 minors. So don't just assume for the pure reason that you HATE females

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending