The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Sianey
I completely screwed up my manouvers today, and generally my mock, and guess what, my tests tomorrow, lets face it, I'm screwed.

Don't think like that, because thats how you'll fail. Confidence is the key. If you act composed and drive confidently, they may be more willing to forgive a silly mistake.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 21
Thanks you guys. I went out with my mum last night after the debacle that was my lesson, and did all the manouvers fine. So I guess I just let myself get into a state about it. As long as I stay calm and don't freak out I hope I'll be ok!
Reply 22
Good luck, let us know how you do today.
im going to go on the dvla website and see if anyone has cancelled their test becuase i want to put it back by about 2weeks. this is mostly because i dont feel at all prepared, but also becuase there's a uni open day i really want to go on. thing is, my driving instructor has an extremely high pass rate and he also emphasises how he only puts people in for the test if he thinks they're ready. he insists that 6th july is still ok, but i dont feel at all prepared but maybe im just being pessimistic because he has been teaching for 40yrs and prob knows better than me if im prepared
Why don't you see if there's a test available and make your decision depending on whether there is one available a bit later or not. However, ultimately, you're paying your driving instructor, so if you don't feel ready, don't take it, 2 weeks of practice might make all the difference. As long as you don't keep putting it off due to a lack of confidence, postponing it to work on correcting what went wrong in your mock test/go to uni open day is fine.
Reply 25
I did 6 mocks and only passed one, with like 11 minors:rolleyes: I passed my real test first time, 3 minors! The more mistakes you make in the mocks the more you'll remember to avoid in your real thing! That was my theory anyway...:biggrin: Goodluck!
leannemann
Why don't you see if there's a test available and make your decision depending on whether there is one available a bit later or not. However, ultimately, you're paying your driving instructor, so if you don't feel ready, don't take it, 2 weeks of practice might make all the difference. As long as you don't keep putting it off due to a lack of confidence, postponing it to work on correcting what went wrong in your mock test/go to uni open day is fine.

well i do have a car to practice on, but the manouveres dont work on it becuase my mums car is WAY bigger than my instructors car and the manouveres are the only part i actually have trouble with. i feel like the other stuff (eg: not checking mirrors often enough) were more just silly mistakes, and i know now that i really need to sort out the lane discipline stuff. however, iv never actually managed to do a reverse around the corner or a parallel park without my instructors help.

also, something else i meant to ask was whether you need to be able to do the "show me, tell me" tests because my old driving instructor made a really big deal about it but my current instructor hasnt even mentioned it
Reply 27
Dont worry my first mock was 6 majors and 19 minors, took another mock yesterday( only 2 weeks later) and got 2 majors 3 minors so by my test in 4 weeks i should be improved more
alison_141288
well i do have a car to practice on, but the manouveres dont work on it becuase my mums car is WAY bigger than my instructors car and the manouveres are the only part i actually have trouble with. i feel like the other stuff (eg: not checking mirrors often enough) were more just silly mistakes, and i know now that i really need to sort out the lane discipline stuff. however, iv never actually managed to do a reverse around the corner or a parallel park without my instructors help.

also, something else i meant to ask was whether you need to be able to do the "show me, tell me" tests because my old driving instructor made a really big deal about it but my current instructor hasnt even mentioned it

Yes you need to be able to do (the show me tell mes) by the test and by now I think you should be doing everything independantly (i.e. you should just be able to do parallel park etc.)
Reply 29
I passed! Woot! With 7 minors. So guys don't worry about it, cos I really screwed up my mock!
Reply 30
I remember the lesson before my first test, the lesson was amazing, never driven so well. The test was appalling and I failed.

I retook it 3 weeks later, and the lesson before it was dreadful! I thought I had no hope in hell of passing, and I did!

:biggrin:
Reply 31
Well done! xxxxx
leannemann
Yes you need to be able to do (the show me tell mes) by the test and by now I think you should be doing everything independantly (i.e. you should just be able to do parallel park etc.)

hmm...should i be worried that my instructor has never so much as mentioned the show me, tell me part??
Reply 33
alison_141288
hmm...should i be worried that my instructor has never so much as mentioned the show me, tell me part??

Just go on the website and download them, learn them and then you will be prepared. xxxxxxx
ames123
Just go on the website and download them, learn them and then you will be prepared. xxxxxxx

I just went over them the night before, then again I've done a few tests!!!!
ames123

what website?
Reply 36
alison_141288
what website?

I don't know, the dsa website perhaps? x
Reply 37
The show me tell me part is crucial I think. It's the very first thing you do. You get 2 questions and if you fail both, you can't carry on.

If I understand it correctly.

If your about to do your test and your instructor hasn't mentioned this, I think you should advise people to stay clear of him / her :smile:

The questions are here:
http://www.driversdomainuk.com/learner/show_me_tell_me.php
Reply 38
If you get one or both the show me tell me questions wrong, you get a minor. (i think...)
magnad
The show me tell me part is crucial I think. It's the very first thing you do. You get 2 questions and if you fail both, you can't carry on.

If I understand it correctly.

If your about to do your test and your instructor hasn't mentioned this, I think you should advise people to stay clear of him / her :smile:

The questions are here:
http://www.driversdomainuk.com/learner/show_me_tell_me.php

That's so not true.

If you get one, or both questions wrong you get ONE minor. It's the eyesight test which you must pass in order to carry on (read a numberplate from 20m away or something).

Latest

Trending

Trending