The Student Room Group

Oxbridge warning

My son, at a Scottish school, excelled. Everything he turned his hand to turned to gold. Straight A's in every exam he took, seemingly effortlessly. Dux of his school (ie highest academic achiever in his year). We were thrilled and proud when he was accepted to do Natural Sciences at Cambridge.

End of fairy tale.
Straight away he began to struggle. The short terms (8 weeks) did not suit his slow methodical work ethic. He just couldn't keep up with the pace. He had no time to enjoy the social aspects of university life. He got further and further behind, not fully understanding a topic before being forced onto the next. His 3rd year exams were a disaster. 'Talking' to a tutor would not have helped.

As parents, we had no inkling that this scenario was unfolding, as it happened so slowly. (And neither will you)
Only in retrospect can we say that going to Cambridge was the worst place for him to have studied.

Quite possibly, despite his early promise, he may not have excelled at any University. But I am certain he would have done a lot better, and enjoyed himself a lot more, had a less prestigious University been chosen, with less of a boiler-house culture and population of swat-heads.

If your son/daughter gets a 2.2 or worse at Oxbridge, as 50% do, when they could have won a 2.1 or better anywhere else, with improved job prospects (and had a more enjoyable time), they'll be kicking themselves for their vanity.

Scroll to see replies

That is awful to hear. However, that is largely what makes Cambridge the best in the country. They work you harder than the rest. It's not suited to everyone.

I find it 'amusing' that some people go to Oxbridge knowing they are the best two universities in the country (therefore their degree is more respected) yet they act so shocked and hard done by when they have to do copious amounts of work.
Reply 2
Original post by Cutmeloose
That is awful to hear. However, that is largely what makes Cambridge the best in the country. They work you harder than the rest. It's not suited to everyone.

I find it 'amusing' that some people go to Oxbridge knowing they are the best two universities in the country (therefore their degree is more respected) yet they act so shocked and hard done by when they have to do copious amounts of work.

I'm not sure everyone appreciates just how much extra work there can be. I don't have many NatSci friends to be able to give you a detailed timetable, but they're routinely acknowledged to have one of the heaviest workloads in Cambridge, with most of their day accounted for. The "problem" is that Oxbridge is so different to other universities in terms of how it operates that it's difficult for people to know for sure that it's "not suited to them" before they apply - on paper, OP's son looks like a prime candidate for Oxbridge study, but apparently it caused a fair amount of damage. It's certainly not unheard of.
http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/univ/camdata/undergraduate.html

Only about 20% get a 2.2 or below at Cambridge. So unless about 80% get the same at Oxford, I think your stat is a bit out.
Natural sciences at Cambridge is generally considered one of the most difficult degrees in the UK. It is true that the culture there is not for everyone but the reason a 2:1 or even a first is so respected is because of the difficulty of attaining the highest grades.
Obviously some research into the life of a student on a forum would have helped in hindsight but alas I doubt it's of any consolation to him. I do hope he does well but it goes to show that Oxbridge isn't for everyone.
Reply 5
Original post by PythianLegume
http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/univ/camdata/undergraduate.html

Only about 20% get a 2.2 or below at Cambridge. So unless about 80% get the same at Oxford, I think your stat is a bit out.

Not necessarily, I don't think. Using your link and narrowing it just to NatSci, it seems to vary by paper (and year) a fair amount, doesn't it?

Is there a source for the "20% overall" somewhere?
Original post by Tortious
Not necessarily, I don't think. Using your link and narrowing it just to NatSci, it seems to vary by paper (and year) a fair amount, doesn't it?

Is there a source for the "20% overall" somewhere?

It's in the link I provided, under "Results for Tripos examinations with a divided second class summarised by year".

Even when you do narrow to NatSci, the percentage doesn't go above 50% for any paper except one taken by 7 people.
Reply 7
It's in the link I provided, under "Results for Tripos examinations with a divided second class summarised by year".

Even when you do narrow to NatSci, the percentage doesn't go above 50% for any paper except one taken by 7 people.

Whoops, sorry - it was the 20% I was querying, losing sight of the fact that OP was claiming 50% do. I think it probably varies by subject and by year.

In Law, about 50% of people in IA get a First/2.1, and the rest get 2.2s (going by the class lists, there was only one Third in my year). However, by IB it's increased to maybe 70%, and by Part II only 22 people in my year got 2.2s - this is probably under 10%. I can't explain why it happens, but "50% get a 2.2" isn't outside the realms of possibility if you're very particular about your use of statistics.
the problem of oxbridge is that too many people there do not deserve to get a place in the first place. (at least for maths)
Reply 9
Original post by moritzplatz
the problem of oxbridge is that too many people there do not deserve to get a place in the first place. (at least for maths)

Please expand.
Original post by james22
Please expand.

To expand, he got rejected. :colone:
Reply 11
Original post by A_parent
My son, at a Scottish school, excelled. Everything he turned his hand to turned to gold. Straight A's in every exam he took, seemingly effortlessly. Dux of his school (ie highest academic achiever in his year). We were thrilled and proud when he was accepted to do Natural Sciences at Cambridge.

End of fairy tale.
Straight away he began to struggle. The short terms (8 weeks) did not suit his slow methodical work ethic. He just couldn't keep up with the pace. He had no time to enjoy the social aspects of university life. He got further and further behind, not fully understanding a topic before being forced onto the next. His 3rd year exams were a disaster. 'Talking' to a tutor would not have helped.

As parents, we had no inkling that this scenario was unfolding, as it happened so slowly. (And neither will you)
Only in retrospect can we say that going to Cambridge was the worst place for him to have studied.

Quite possibly, despite his early promise, he may not have excelled at any University. But I am certain he would have done a lot better, and enjoyed himself a lot more, had a less prestigious University been chosen, with less of a boiler-house culture and population of swat-heads.

If your son/daughter gets a 2.2 or worse at Oxbridge, as 50% do, when they could have won a 2.1 or better anywhere else, with improved job prospects (and had a more enjoyable time), they'll be kicking themselves for their vanity.

I don't think so.

Also, how do you know your son could have got a 2.1 or above at another university? You say that he has a slow and methodical learning method which says to me that his learning style is not suited to any uni, bearing in mind that university lecturers never repeat a lecture. I mean, is he smart or really just a swot?

I really doubt that, you do realize how thorough their weeding out process is right? MAT + Interview + Grades + GCSEs + PS ect. ect.
Original post by james22
Please expand.

According to some academics I know (at Oxford), most people doing mathematics have very little understanding of the subject. The grades are inflated because of the rescaling system, otherwise a much higher proportion would not achieve a 2.1.
Original post by ChildishHambino
I really doubt that, you do realize how thorough their weeding out process is right? MAT + Interview + Grades + GCSEs + PS ect. ect.

Evidently it is not enough. The standard of the students is very low, ask someone trying to get a phd place with a 2.1 or a low first from oxbridge in a decent place.

To my dear Greek Legume: I am soon to start my third year and was probably in the top 5 for mathematics last year.
As much as I can appreciate that the workload in Oxford must be enormous, the workload at other top UK Unis can also be pretty intense. Several people who started at UCL to study chemistry with me have failed 1st year because they simply couldnt keep up with the work.
Reply 15
Original post by Tortious
Whoops, sorry - it was the 20% I was querying, losing sight of the fact that OP was claiming 50% do. I think it probably varies by subject and by year.

In Law, about 50% of people in IA get a First/2.1, and the rest get 2.2s (going by the class lists, there was only one Third in my year). However, by IB it's increased to maybe 70%, and by Part II only 22 people in my year got 2.2s - this is probably under 10%. I can't explain why it happens, but "50% get a 2.2" isn't outside the realms of possibility if you're very particular about your use of statistics.

Some stats for natsci 1A: http://www.natsci.tripos.cam.ac.uk/exams/marks-ia - 2nd class isn't divided at this stage, so it's a bit hard to tell. The 1B page is annoyingly less specific - though it does mention on individual papers that 60% of people should get 60 or above, which suggests that 60% of people get a 2.1 or above, which sounds reasonable based on my memory of classlists. By Part II, I'd say it's much more unusual to get a 2.2 or less (because it's no longer norm referenced) though as you say, the percentages seem to depend on part II subject. So quite similar to law probably!
According to some academics I know (at Oxford), most people doing mathematics have very little understanding of the subject. The grades are inflated because of the rescaling system, otherwise a much higher proportion would not achieve a 2.1.

Evidently it is not enough. The standard of the students is very low, ask someone trying to get a phd place with a 2.1 or a low first from oxbridge in a decent place.

To my dear Greek Legume: I am soon to start my third year and was probably in the top 5 for mathematics last year.

Fair enough. So it's really just a case of 'they aren't as intelligent as me, so they are stupid.' Of course these people will seem to lack understanding compared to the Professors - Professors know their subject inside-out.
Reply 17
Sounds awful. I knew someone doing nat sci at cambridge who although top of her school was struggling at the bottom at cambridge. She was not getting the options she wanted to take because smarter students got them instead. She was very close to dropping out. I don't know if she did. Hope not. Cambridge is very tough.
Fair enough. So it's really just a case of 'they aren't as intelligent as me, so they are stupid.' Of course these people will seem to lack understanding compared to the Professors - Professors know their subject inside-out.

you can see it that way if you want.

in my opinion the problem is that 200+ students is way too many (and I think Cambridge has even more)
Reply 19
annakid

Did you quote me in here earlier? I can't seem to see your post... :erm:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending