The Student Room Group

Durham medical school 2014 applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by XingBairong
well, we will have to hope that their UKCAT cut off won't increase (695 last year). But tbh, I can't imagine it going beyond your average score which I think is really good.

I'm under an impression that Durham does not have GCSEs requirements but it's better to assume that you need B's in Maths, English and sciences (in my case, I have IELTS to save my English).

I'm also under an impression that Durham won't even look at your PS at all!! Once your academics are checked and they are acceptable, I think they use UKCAT alone to select people for interviews.

And apparently, the interview panel wouldn't have seen your PS and ref before hand either! It's confusing :L
Nevertheless, I'll apply because I like Durham :P

A bit risky for me to apply actually but I'm still thinking! This dilemma!! :tongue:
I haven't even written my PS properly so really I'm glad they don't look at it haha

Best of luck with yours!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which is better - Durham or Newcastle?
Reply 22
Original post by XingBairong
When was your interview?

Last year (2013).. around January time I think.
Reply 23
If candidates with the top 40-45% of UKCAT scores are invited to interview, would it be risky applying with 725 and SJ band 2? because even though it's above the cutoff, the majority of the applicants would have really high scores?

(I'm an international student applying to newcastle)
Does anyone have any idea what the interview:redface:ffer ratio is like at Durham and Newcastle? I'm an undergraduate student who is applying for 2014 entry with a UKCAT of 765. I'm applying to Newcastle/Durham but I'm a bit torn as far as to which I will apply to. To be honest I'm not really fussed with either and am probably going to apply with 'E' (no preference). But will this put me at a disadvantage at all? If the interview:redface:ffer ratio is lower at Durham I will apply to Durham to boost my odds, (I also quite like the look of Durham Queen Campus anyway)! Thanks a lot!
Reply 25
Original post by MedicalMike
Does anyone have any idea what the interview:redface:ffer ratio is like at Durham and Newcastle? I'm an undergraduate student who is applying for 2014 entry with a UKCAT of 765. I'm applying to Newcastle/Durham but I'm a bit torn as far as to which I will apply to. To be honest I'm not really fussed with either and am probably going to apply with 'E' (no preference). But will this put me at a disadvantage at all? If the interview:redface:ffer ratio is lower at Durham I will apply to Durham to boost my odds, (I also quite like the look of Durham Queen Campus anyway)! Thanks a lot!

If you put E you will be assigned to Durham anyway, as Newcastle is oversubscribed, so there's not much point, might as well pick one or the other. Durham does have a lower interview:redface:ffer ratio.
Reply 26
Original post by k1rby
Durham place a lot of emphasis on the UKCAT. It is literally the only way they select pre-interview. Last year the cut-off was around 695 - no matter how good other parts of your application is, if you're not above the cut-off you are rejected.
:smile:

would you say 707.5 is risky?
Reply 27
Original post by Dr.Ugs
would you say 707.5 is risky?

I don't see how it could rise much more. But the cut-off increase last year means that nothing is certain anymore. If I was in your position I would risk it but it depends on how much you like Durham/Newcastle and how risky your other choices are. A lot of applicants don't come on TSR so may not even know there is a cut-off. :tongue:

P.S. I finally just understood your username. For ages I thought 'Ugs' was your name..
Reply 28
Original post by k1rby
I don't see how it could rise much more. But the cut-off increase last year means that nothing is certain anymore. If I was in your position I would risk it but it depends on how much you like Durham/Newcastle and how risky your other choices are. A lot of applicants don't come on TSR so may not even know there is a cut-off. :tongue:

P.S. I finally just understood your username. For ages I thought 'Ugs' was your name..

I have looked in to Durham and I really like it! And the campus is amazing :biggrin:
I know its a risk but hopefully my other choices are not! Im applying to Manchester, Hull york and UEA with 707.5 :colondollar: What do you think?

Deciding is so hard! I dont wanna become a re-reapplicant :eek::frown:

Lol yeah I think most people thought Ugs was my name :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Dr.Ugs
I have looked in to Durham and I really like it! And the campus is amazing :biggrin:
I know its a risk but hopefully my other choices are not! Im applying to Manchester, Hull york and UEA with 707.5 :colondollar: What do you think?

Deciding is so hard! I dont wanna become a re-reapplicant :eek::frown:

Lol yeah I think most people thought Ugs was my name :tongue:

Thing is, if you do get an interview, they have a really high offer percentage :tongue:

Manchester is a good choice, I don't know about the selection criteria for the others though :smile:

Good luck Durham applicants! :awesome:
Reply 30
Original post by k1rby
Thing is, if you do get an interview, they have a really high offer percentage :tongue:

Manchester is a good choice, I don't know about the selection criteria for the others though :smile:

Good luck Durham applicants! :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Original post by tashac
If candidates with the top 40-45% of UKCAT scores are invited to interview, would it be risky applying with 725 and SJ band 2? because even though it's above the cutoff, the majority of the applicants would have really high scores?

(I'm an international student applying to newcastle)

I think that UKCAT would be safe but, like you say, the cut-off could rise/fall depending on the applicants.

Original post by MedicalMike

Applying with E puts you at no disadvantage - which ever one you are assigned to won't know you did or at least don't care. You'd probably get assigned to Durham with E though because it has less applicants to the number of places. After interview for 2013 entry there was a 74.6% chance of an offer compared to 40.5% for Newcastle.

Competition ratios here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_Competition_Ratios

Original post by cocochannel1
Which is better - Durham or Newcastle?

I'd say Newcastle just because with Durham you have to become a Newcastle student after 2 years and have to figure out a whole new city. But Durham has less applicants and you are more likely to get an offer after interview there than at Newcastle. They're both great places to study!
Reply 32
Hi guys when do we say our prefferred college ? Im confused because you apply as newcastle on ucas

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by hl7495
Hi guys when do we say our prefferred college ? Im confused because you apply as newcastle on ucas

Posted from TSR Mobile

You choose John Snow or Stephenson college when replying to an interview offer or at interview, I can't remember :tongue:
Reply 34
Oh okay cool thanks so not yet? Woah panic over haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Original post by hl7495
Oh okay cool thanks so not yet? Woah panic over haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

hahaha yeah :tongue: there's also the option of no preference btw
Reply 36
Original post by k1rby
hahaha yeah :tongue: there's also the option of no preference btw

Great! Thankyou are you applyig which one do people prefer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Original post by hl7495
Great! Thankyou are you applyig which one do people prefer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got an offer from them last year (went with Leicester instead though). I had chosen Stephenson because I preferred their common room but they are both pretty much the same. Neither is better honestly :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by k1rby
I got an offer from them last year (went with Leicester instead though). I had chosen Stephenson because I preferred their common room but they are both pretty much the same. Neither is better honestly :smile:

Ah right i see i have applied there too i think people end up loving wherever they go in the end no matter what what was the interview like in durham and leicester?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
Original post by hl7495
Ah right i see i have applied there too i think people end up loving wherever they go in the end no matter what what was the interview like in durham and leicester?

Posted from TSR Mobile

From what I can remember... The Durham interview is a relaxed chat with two people (one is an admissions person, the other someone from the local community). They know nothing about you - haven't seen your personal statement, grades etc. It's nice that you can bring up work experiences and you can talk about them and they are hearing it for the first time so you don't have to worry about repeating what you've put on your PS.

Leicester is now MMI and is super fun and very quick. It's great that if you mess up one station, you get loads of fresh starts. Some stations have people involved, some don't. You can't prepare for it. The only way you can succeed in it is by being calm which is more difficult than it sounds :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending