The Student Room Group

I'm Dutch, ask me anything.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Plurkie
Don't you want to know about my infamous 'cheesehead' culture?

No NO, I actually stopped eating after I moved away, made feel sick all those years of cheese eating
Original post by PrettyLittleLiars
Can I just chip in for a sec :tongue:. Stroopwafel is absolutely heavenly!! Have you ever tried patatje oorlog? It is a combination chips, mayo and melted peanut butter. I know sounds absolutely vile but is infact gorgeous! :smile:

I miss holland :frown:

Oh my god yes but you forgot chipped onion! That's my favourite way of eating chips :smile:
Original post by techno-thriller
No NO, I actually stopped eating after I moved away, made feel sick all those years of cheese eating

Your loss :biggrin:
Original post by Plurkie
Oh my god yes but you forgot chipped onion! That's my favourite way of eating chips :smile:

Ohhh the cipped onions! Delicious! Where are you from originally and are you planning on learning dutch properly?
Original post by Plurkie
I think it's very brave you're even trying! Especially the hard G must sound really weird to
you :tongue: That's just it, I find it too funny to take seriously :biggrin: I don't really like my own accent though, which would be a bit like American. I don't want to learn a British accent though because there are so many and I'll probably insult people all over the UK haha.

Well my mother always spoke Dutch to me as a kid and I took some lessons at the embassey but I never actually bothered to learn the accent, and I have quite a strong London accent too. So when I speak Dutch people just look at me like ''this is the strangest sound Ive ever heard'', o/w my Dutch is pretty good which makes things weirder. Get lots of people thinking I'm Afrikaaner etc.

The Dutchie accent is actually very popular in the UK tbf, very nice on the ear to lots of people. :smile:
Original post by PrettyLittleLiars
Ohhh the cipped onions! Delicious! Where are you from originally and are you planning on learning dutch properly?

Haha I was kidding, I am born and raised in Noord-Holland but my Dutch teacher always nags us about learng proper 'ABN'. :tongue:
Original post by Roger1
Can most people speak English over there fluently?

Yes, my Dutch friend speaks the same standard of English as me
Original post by Zürich
Well my mother always spoke Dutch to me as a kid and I took some lessons at the embassey but I never actually bothered to learn the accent, and I have quite a strong London accent too. So when I speak Dutch people just look at me like ''this is the strangest sound Ive ever heard'', o/w my Dutch is pretty good which makes things weirder. Get lots of people thinking I'm Afrikaaner etc.

The Dutchie accent is actually very popular in the UK tbf, very nice on the ear to lots of people. :smile:

Haha that must cause some pretty weird situations! Funny how people with different languages appreciate different accents from foreigners :smile:
It'll be similar to ours, they get the 'Leftovers' of our weather. :smile:
Reply 49
Original post by Kittiara
Hoe is het weer in Nederland op het moment?

I moved here from England a few weeks ago. I don't think i've ever seen such heavy rain, or so many thunderstorms in such a short period of time, not even in England! I've had thunder, lightning and rain everyday since the Friday before last, when for half the day it was 30 degrees before the storm rolled in.
Oh that's great! Someday I'll travel there to surround myself with those hehe :colone: I hope you don't mind me asking so many questions, but I think that the Netherlands is a very interesting country :smile:
So, do people smoke weed a lot there? I know it's legal, but is it really common and socially acceptable?
What do you guys do in substitute for writing essays? (I'm also an international student myself and neither did we write as many essays, all we had was a ****load of memorisation for subjects like history, geography, etc) :angry:
Why don't you guys like your language? (don't hate me, that's what I've heard)
And finally, are you high right now? :ahee:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Plurkie
Haha I was kidding, I am born and raised in Noord-Holland but my Dutch teacher always nags us about learng proper 'ABN'. :tongue:

Ahaha :tongue:
I am from South-Holland :smile:
Reply 52
What's your shoe size?

What are you currently wearing on your feet?

What colour are your toes painted?
I'm 18, I'm from near Amsterdam, I'm in my last year of high school and currently working as a sales employee at a camping and caravan store (best job ever by the way), I haven't travelled as much as I would like but I have been to New Zealand with my parents and Scotland with a group of people that didn't know eachother, which I really enjoyed :smile: And as for the weather: Klote! :biggrin:

Where have you been?
Original post by Cll_ws
I moved here from England a few weeks ago. I don't think i've ever seen such heavy rain, or so many thunderstorms in such a short period of time, not even in England! I've had thunder, lightning and rain everyday since the Friday before last, when for half the day it was 30 degrees before the storm rolled in.

Welcome in the Netherlands my friend! I see you have met the welcoming comittee.
Original post by Plurkie
Nah that only applies to Vegas. I hope you have a good lawyer.

Crap.
Original post by Zhy
What's your shoe size?

What are you currently wearing on your feet?

What colour are your toes painted?

Hmm this one might not be accurate because of different metric systems but I think a women's 8. I am wearing black ankle socks on my feet (have been planning to buy some proper superman ones for days now). I don't paint my toe nails because I am incapable of coloring between the lines and I have the amount of patience for exactly 3 nails.
Reply 57
Original post by und3niable_
Yes, my Dutch friend speaks the same standard of English as me

Original post by IntoTheWater
Oh that's great! Someday I'll travel there to surround myself with those hehe :colone: I hope you don't mind me asking so many questions, but I think that the Netherlands is a very interesting country :smile:
So, do people smoke weed a lot there? I know it's legal, but is it really common and socially acceptable?
What do you guys do in substitute for writing essays? (I'm also an international student myself and neither did we write as many essays, all we had was a ****load of memorisation for subjects like history, geography, etc) :angry:

Less common than in England imo. The whole coffee shop thing is a tourist misconception.
Original post by IntoTheWater

I don't mind at all! Smoking weed is not as common as many may think actually :biggrin: in Amsterdam you can't walk into a street withou smelling it but where I live it's not that bad. Some guys from my school smoke pot but it doesn't make them cool really. People don't really care. We do a lot of memorizing too but that may be just the kind of school that I'm going to, other than that we do tests on history of Dutch literature for example (blegh.) I guess many Dutchies don't like their language because it doesn't sound pretty like french or some english, and because we have the most ridiculous expressions. A trainslation of one is 'Now the monkey comes out of the sleeve' by which normal people would say 'Ah, it is clear now'. See? :tongue: I am not high at the moment and would have no idea how that feels because I've never even smoked a cigarette before :smile:

Quick Reply