The Student Room Group

University of Bournemouth - BSc Physiotherapy Student Blog - 1st Year

This is the Physiotherapy blog of Iz_pta; University of Bournemouth Student - BSc Physiotherapy - 1st Year.

Iz_pta

Good luck!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey everyone!

My name is Izzy and Ive just turned 27 years old. I will be starting the Bsc (Hons) Physiotherapy degree on the 23rd September 2013. Physiotherapy is what Ive wanted to do for so long, it just took me a while to get there!

Anyway for the past two and a half years I have been working as a Physio assistant and then a Physio technician. I worked as an assistant in elderly care at Croydon University Hospital for 15 months and then as a tech for the last year and a bit at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital in Stanmore in the adult ortho in-patient team!

I absolutley loved my time at both places but realised that I could make it as a physio during my time at Stanmore! Such an amazing place to learn! I only left on Friday and I am already craving being back in that environment :frown: but I know Ive got so much more to learn!. Definietly cannot wait to get back there during the small amount of time we will get off during the course!

My academic route was as follows:
A Levels in 2005
Degree in Health - graduated in 2009
OU Human Biology 2013 (this was the subject that gained me a place on my dream course at Uni!)

So...I cannot wait to get started and meet my fellow student physios! I will be moving to Bournemouth tomorrow & staying in Dorchester House.

I know we get a taster placement in the first few months which lasts a week I think. We then get our first placement in the summer! I think its great we get a placement in the first year because the sooner you start putting theory into practice, you grow in confidence.

At first it is daunting but you will be amazed at how quickly you will get into the flow of note writing, observing many things at once, making mental lists of all the patients etc the physios want you to see! So dont panic, it becomes second nature real quickly!

During the first year at Bournemouth we will be doing the following modules:
Communication and Group Working [OT & Physio]
Foundation Knowledge and Practice: Portfolio 1 [OT & Physio]
Foundations of Therapy (OT & Physio)
Neuromusculoskeletal Physiotherapy Assessment
Neuromusculoskeletal Physiotherapy Treatment

I think its really important that a lot of the work we do at the start is with the OTs as in an NHS clinical setting you work so closely with then on a daily basis.

So I will be blogging throughout the next few years (hopefully!). As a profession physio's do so much in the NHS & play a real important part in a patient's treatment. You will find that the doctors will always be bugging you as you will be in great demand! I have a real passion for physio and we can be under-rated & people think all we do is stretch a few limbs out so its important for us to promote & believe in what we do!

Sorry for the long post...feel free to ask any questions, I am always happy to answer them!

Good luck to everyone...its going to be a great few years! Enjoy it! There will be tough times but once you work through them it will be so worth it!

Catch you all later

Izzy :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
hi Izzy. im planning on starting next september. trying to get ready for it, ill be 25 so im glad im not the only older student going. can you let me know which human biology course you did please?
Reply 3
Hi Izzy,

I'm hoping to do the course in September 2014 also...I'll be 31 by then!

With regards to funding, were you eligible for anything from the Student Loan Company? I've read in some places you can get some support from them and others that they will not fund an equal level qualification. I've explored the NHS bursary options, but that won't quite pay the mortgage!

Best of luck and hope the course is going well!

Laura
Reply 4
Original post by katrina brugada
hi Izzy. im planning on starting next september. trying to get ready for it, ill be 25 so im glad im not the only older student going. can you let me know which human biology course you did please?

Hi :smile: I did the OU human biology sk277 course. It starts in October and finishes in June. It's hard but you can get good marks if you put the work in. It's really in-depth and I feel it has set me up well for a lot of the in depth physiology aspect of the physio degree.
Reply 5
Original post by QueenLozza
Hi Izzy,

I'm hoping to do the course in September 2014 also...I'll be 31 by then!

With regards to funding, were you eligible for anything from the Student Loan Company? I've read in some places you can get some support from them and others that they will not fund an equal level qualification. I've explored the NHS bursary options, but that won't quite pay the mortgage!

Best of luck and hope the course is going well!

Laura

31 is young! The ages are so varied on physio which is really good! Everyone brings something different to the cohort. I was not able to get anything from the student loan company. Even if you have not done a degree before I think some people on my course didn't get as much from them due to being on an nhs funded course. However I think you would get the maximum available from the nhs bursary as some people who have their own place on my course are entitled to the full amount whereas the rest of us are not! One of my old colleagues who had a mortgage when studying for the msc physio degree took out a career development loan but you can only get this for two years.
Reply 6
Second Year Physio in another Uni. Just commenting to subscribe! I'm sure having been a Physio Assistant gives you an advantage!
Reply 7
Original post by DK_Tipp
Second Year Physio in another Uni. Just commenting to subscribe! I'm sure having been a Physio Assistant gives you an advantage!

It does in some ways as I feel I applied myself in a way that the physios I worked with went the extra mile to teach me loads! It was like being paid to learn everyday, it was amazing. I was lucky to have worked somewhere like Stanmore, that's where I really learnt a lot. However learning the anatomy in great detail is always going to be the challenge! That's the most daunting part for me at the moment.
Reply 8
Original post by Iz_pta
It does in some ways as I feel I applied myself in a way that the physios I worked with went the extra mile to teach me loads! It was like being paid to learn everyday, it was amazing. I was lucky to have worked somewhere like Stanmore, that's where I really learnt a lot. However learning the anatomy in great detail is always going to be the challenge! That's the most daunting part for me at the moment.

I think everybody struggles with Anatomy to a greater or lesser degree! A good book is a good start. I like Gray's, and Musculino for muscles. When I was on placement there was a very experienced Physio Assistant and she was a great source of advice on things like manual handling. No replacement for a practice educator but very helpful nonetheless.
Reply 9
Original post by DK_Tipp
I think everybody struggles with Anatomy to a greater or lesser degree! A good book is a good start. I like Gray's, and Musculino for muscles. When I was on placement there was a very experienced Physio Assistant and she was a great source of advice on things like manual handling. No replacement for a practice educator but very helpful nonetheless.

I can understand your point. Hopefully I can draw on my experience when I need to but I still have a million things that I need to learn! I was going to buy Gray's so thats good to know, thank you! We have been using Seeley's mostly.

Hope your course is going well. Does it get a lot more intense in the second year?
Reply 10
Original post by Iz_pta
I can understand your point. Hopefully I can draw on my experience when I need to but I still have a million things that I need to learn! I was going to buy Gray's so thats good to know, thank you! We have been using Seeley's mostly.

Hope your course is going well. Does it get a lot more intense in the second year?

I dunno if intense is the word. Fewer contact hours but a lot more "self directed learning"
Reply 11
Original post by DK_Tipp
I dunno if intense is the word. Fewer contact hours but a lot more "self directed learning"

Ok, thats cool. Thank you :smile:
Reply 12
Hey guys...so have nearly made it through the first 4 weeks! At first it was just really overwhelming with all the information thrown at us! However in the last couple of weeks things have settled down and I feel like I am getting into the swing of things!

We have a nice balance of theory and practical which is nice! Im still trying to find my way a little bit in the practicals...I get quite nervous and do not want to volunteer which annoys me as Im nervous of getting things wrong! I definitely need to work on that as I do know things but am having some self doubt at the moment :frown:. I need to relax and just do it like I was when I was an assistant.

Its funny because I could have so many watched assessments by my seniors when I was an assistant and be put on the spot many a time and not hesistate! I think I get anxious about being back in a classroom setting :s-smilie:.

We are working our way through the anatomy. First it was bones and boney landmarks and then muscles. Next week is respiratory, which I am really looking forward to :smile:.

We have a really good module on case management which is preparing us to develop good, competent clinical reasoning skills which of course you cannot have if you do not have the bread and butter anatomy knowledge! They are really enjoyable lessons.

I am enjoying the course though, the tutors are brilliant and really break things down nicely.

I am excited about the one week placement we have in a week and a half! I know its only a week but I cannot wait to get back onto a hospital ward! I will be doing elderly care which is nice as I started in elderly care as an assistant :smile:.

Although there is quite a lot of work to do and loads of self-managed learning I think its great.

Also another great thing about our course is that we have a dedicated day for CPD. It is really drilled into us from the start which I think is good as it is something we will always have to do once we qualify.

The time is definitely going fast! It will be Christmas before we know it and thats when the course really picks up!

I was also elected CSP rep for the next 3 years which was nice and I am quite chuffed about that :smile:.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Iz_pta
Hey guys...so have nearly made it through the first 4 weeks! At first it was just really overwhelming with all the information thrown at us! However in the last couple of weeks things have settled down and I feel like I am getting into the swing of things!

We have a nice balance of theory and practical which is nice! Im still trying to find my way a little bit in the practicals...I get quite nervous and do not want to volunteer which annoys me as Im nervous of getting things wrong! I definitely need to work on that as I do know things but am having some self doubt at the moment :frown:. I need to relax and just do it like I was when I was an assistant.

Its funny because I could have so many watched assessments by my seniors when I was an assistant and be put on the spot many a time and not hesistate! I think I get anxious about being back in a classroom setting :s-smilie:.

We are working our way through the anatomy. First it was bones and boney landmarks and then muscles. Next week is respiratory, which I am really looking forward to :smile:.

We have a really good module on case management which is preparing us to develop good, competent clinical reasoning skills which of course you cannot have if you do not have the bread and butter anatomy knowledge! They are really enjoyable lessons.

I am enjoying the course though, the tutors are brilliant and really break things down nicely.

I am excited about the one week placement we have in a week and a half! I know its only a week but I cannot wait to get back onto a hospital ward! I will be doing elderly care which is nice as I started in elderly care as an assistant :smile:.

Although there is quite a lot of work to do and loads of self-managed learning I think its great.

Also another great thing about our course is that we have a dedicated day for CPD. It is really drilled into us from the start which I think is good as it is something we will always have to do once we qualify.

The time is definitely going fast! It will be Christmas before we know it and thats when the course really picks up!

I was also elected CSP rep for the next 3 years which was nice and I am quite chuffed about that :smile:.

Just out of interest... Do ye do cadavers in Bournemouth?
Reply 14
Original post by DK_Tipp

No, I don't think so.
Original post by DK_Tipp

Hey,

Pleased your enjoying the course. Just out of interest, are you studying anatomy a body part at a time, i.e the lower limb - bones, muscles, nerves, etc?

Also, what is your class size?

Awesomeness!
Reply 16
Original post by Fandango3001
Hey,

Pleased your enjoying the course. Just out of interest, are you studying anatomy a body part at a time, i.e the lower limb - bones, muscles, nerves, etc?

Also, what is your class size?

Awesomeness!

We study lower & upper limb at the same time its just separated into bones one week, then muscles the next and so on. They expect us to do reading and self managed learning to supplement it.

Our class size is 25.
Thanks for the info.

I hope you are managing to get your head round the anatomy!
Reply 18
Original post by Iz_pta
31 is young! The ages are so varied on physio which is really good! Everyone brings something different to the cohort. I was not able to get anything from the student loan company. Even if you have not done a degree before I think some people on my course didn't get as much from them due to being on an nhs funded course. However I think you would get the maximum available from the nhs bursary as some people who have their own place on my course are entitled to the full amount whereas the rest of us are not! One of my old colleagues who had a mortgage when studying for the msc physio degree took out a career development loan but you can only get this for two years.

Haha, thank you, I wish I felt young!!

If I gave you my e-mail address or contact details would you please be able to give me a rough idea of the timetabling in the first year?

Sounds like all is going well so far! I understand any hesitancy in the practicals, I feel I would be the same!!

Laura
Reply 19
Original post by QueenLozza
Haha, thank you, I wish I felt young!!

If I gave you my e-mail address or contact details would you please be able to give me a rough idea of the timetabling in the first year?

Sounds like all is going well so far! I understand any hesitancy in the practicals, I feel I would be the same!!

Laura

Yeah sure thats cool :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending