The Student Room Group

masters and diploma difference

I have applied for masters in conservation and was accepted for pg diploma instead and was told that the programme is the same as masters, only with conditions. Masters consists of taught modules and a research project, if successful in taught modules I will be accepted for research project and thus finish my masters. That is how I understood the difference between pgdilpoma and masters. Please let me know if that is was it is and if I understood it right.:smile:
Yes, you've understood the difference correctly.

Most taught Masters courses are about 2/3rds taught courses and then the last few months are spent doing a full-time independent research dissertation. If the Uni isnt confident you are capable of the research section, they will offer you a Diploma place and see how you get on - if your performance is good enough in the initial taught elements they may consider allowing you to complete the research element.
Reply 2
Original post by bab1991
I have applied for masters in conservation and was accepted for pg diploma instead and was told that the programme is the same as masters, only with conditions. Masters consists of taught modules and a research project, if successful in taught modules I will be accepted for research project and thus finish my masters. That is how I understood the difference between pgdilpoma and masters. Please let me know if that is was it is and if I understood it right.:smile:

Yeah that's right. A taught Master's degree will normally be 12 months long, and you'll do taught modules just like undergrad (but harder of course!) and maybe a literature review or mini-project until April/May time, and then a research dissertation until August/September. A PGDip would just be the taught modules, with the whole Master's including the dissertation. Make sure you ask the admission people what the likelihood of you being allowed to complete the full degree is - get them to tell you that if you pass (generally 50%) the taught components, then you'll be allowed to progress to the Master's.
Reply 3
As above! I have two former undergrad collagues who started their PGDip with a 2:2 and they've both just completed a full Masters. If you show that you can produce good coursework, then the chances of progressing to the full Masters are excellent.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Klix88
As above! I have two former undergrad collagues who started their PGDip with a 2:2 and they've both just completed a full Masters. If you show that you can produce good coursework, then the chances of progressing to the full Masters are excellent.

Good luck! :smile:

Exactly - great advice there! Whilst getting a 2.2 often stops people being able to enrol straight onto Master's programmes (although there are a fair number that accept them, and at "good" unis too), getting onto a Dip/Cert course and then transferring onto the Master's is a great way of doing it! It's a shame unis don't always advertise that possibility.
Reply 5
Thank you guys so much. There are just so many names, and I was confused. Thank you for your advice and wishes. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending