The Student Room Group

How easy is it to travel in South East Asia?

I have been thinking about this trip for a while now but my parents are quite hesitant about me doing this at all.

Does anyone have any advice if they have done this sort of thing before and do you have to be well travelled at all to do it?

Also are there any useful links to websites that help with this activities over there e.g. volunteering or sight-seeing etc.
I would highly recommend Vietnam as a place to visit. The people are unbelievably nice and pleasant (when I compare them to other cultures I have experienced in Asia so that would include the Chinese, Malaysians, Singaporeans and Thais, though this is admittedly a broad generalisation), very interested in foreigners (especially out of the main tourist areas but not to the point where they harrass you - though they are occasionally a little pushy if you are in a tourist area and they want to sell you something), the food is great, some of the countryside is nothing short of spectacular (on a totally different scale to the UK), the language enthralling (and they love it when you try to speak it) and just riding a motorbike around Ho Chi Minh City is an adventure in and of itself. Riding around the whole country I wouldn't recommend doing by yourself though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Visit Sri Lanka. I stayed there for 2 months and can't wait to go back in my gap year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
South East Asia is fairly easy to travel, its quite safe but ust google various scams and keep an eye out for them and you will be fine.

I first went when I was 20 and I was alone, my parents were nervous so I did an intro week where they collect you from the airport and everything is sorted for the first week and I got lots of info for my further travels.

I recomend www.trutravels.com have a look on the website and see if you think if it might ease your parents nerves and maybe your own too!

I have a promo code LindaB for money off too
Reply 4
Original post by Ender'sgame
I have been thinking about this trip for a while now but my parents are quite hesitant about me doing this at all.

Does anyone have any advice if they have done this sort of thing before and do you have to be well travelled at all to do it?

Also are there any useful links to websites that help with this activities over there e.g. volunteering or sight-seeing etc.

dont you have a south asian friend?
Reply 5
Well,I recommend you to visit Vietnam, especially Hochiminh city, where I live. It's so bad that I didn't travel someplaces outside my country so that I cannot compare Vietnam with other countries. I just introduce something to do when you come to Vietnam:
-Try special food: noodle and soup, rolls,... check out more in Google 'cause I don't know the food name in English. You should probably know that in different place, there are different speacial food, and some traditional food is also a little different depends on each part of Vietnam.
-sightseeings: visit some beautiful beaches like: Nha Trang, Ha Long Bay,... Vietnam is a tropical country so these beaches are really awesome, surfing or sunbathing are good, seafood is great.
-Hanoi, Hochiminh, Danang is 3 most well-known city for foreigners to visit, there are shopping malls, bar, museums, theaters, hotel and resorts.
If you want to try new challenge, you can visit Taynguyen, SaPa,.. these are highlands, you will find many minority ethics, they have many delicious food, beautiful handicrafts,...
In my opinion, food and accommodation or manything in Vietnam is not really expensive. Vietnameses are friendly and the youths interest in speaking English. (Many of us speak English very well so you don't worry about language so much)
Be careful with the sellermans, when you want to buy something, you need to bargain, (about 50%, depends on where you buy) 'cause they sell things for the foreigners with pretty high cost.
Hope you find this helpful, and when you plan to visit Vietnam or Hochiminh city, you can send me message, I will tell you more about my city.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest