The Student Room Group

Long distance soon, is it worth it?

Hey everyone,

I am currently in my final year of sixth form with my girlfriend, and we are planning on both going to the UK in uni's near each other.

We've been planning our futures together (bit sad I know), but I need some advice on whether this would really work, and would we get through uni?

Thank you in advance.
Reply 1
No one can attest to the strength of your relationship, that is between you two. If you guys know each other well enough and have weathered emotional battles together then it is a little better. But things change and there are always hundreds of obstacles that occur in long distance relationships. It is very often the case that long distance doesn't work out, usually because of a break down in trust,communication or in hurtful instances that your other half has met someone new. I wish you luck. However realistically I would just try to enjoy it as it is now and do not be too hopeful in making future plans together. If it is something you both are determined to work on, then you might be able to make it happen!
I'm in a long distance relationship and have been for 6 months, and let me tell you, if you truly want to be with that person, it is most definitely worth it :smile:

It can be very hard, of course, being so far away. But voicing your concerns and fears, and regular communication is vital. Whether through facebook, Skype, texting, phoning, etc. It will help you stay strong.

And if you really want to be together, you will make it work.

I am :love:
If you want to make it work, then you will. LDRs are hard but if it's the right person, so worth it.
nobody on here will know if your relationship will work long distance, and you won't know until you try it! if your unis are near each other that's a bonus though, i'm four hours away from my boy :frown:
I personally would say it is not worth it, having gone through it myself before and seen other LDRs fail time and time again (mine lasted a year and a half after we first moved away from each other). Probably more than 90% don't even make it past the first term. The reason for this is that the vast majority of people just aren't that loyal, especially at student age, no matter how much faith you have in them. New experiences offered at uni and the newly acquired independence from parents almost always trumps their loyal partner. I and almost everyone else who have been in a LDR can attest to that.

There will be plenty of others on here who'll disagree with me, many of whom will have been in currently successful LDRs for months or even years, but the fact of the matter is, those that last for years are exceptional cases to say the least. Those that actually make it through uni are so rare they are almost unheard of. Unless you have been together since early teens, I wouldn't bother.

My advice if you really want to go ahead with it:
One or both of you will almost certainly lose interest very quickly. If that is your girlfriend, learn to see the signs and break it off quickly instead of letting it drag on. If you lose interest, then don't string her along, even for 1 day. See each other as often as you can without it impacting on your work. Set aside specific times for Skyping or calling after Freshers' week when routine sets in. But be prepared, because statistically speaking, your chances are almost zero.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Llewellyn_J

My advice if you really want to go ahead with it:
One or both of you will almost certainly lose interest very quickly. If that is your girlfriend, learn to see the signs and break it off quickly instead of letting it drag on. If you lose interest, then don't string her along, even for 1 day. See each other as often as you can without it impacting on your work. Set aside specific times for Skyping or calling after Freshers' week when routine sets in. But be prepared, because statistically speaking, your chances are almost zero.

The thing is, the chance of any relationship at student age lasting is pretty low, even if you go to the same school/uni. But people still try.
To OP, if you don't want to make it through uni why are you discussing marriage etc with her? Life's going to throw obstacles your way, everything won't always be perfect and its up to you to decide if your relationship and future with her are worth it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending