The Student Room Group

PhD help

I need a suggestion...

I have got an admission in one university for doing PhD. I have accepted it initially and the registration process is ongoing. And now I have got an answer from other university with a great scholar ship and the excited is also too exciting. It is assumed as a prestiguous scholarship with a promising career for my future.

Is it ethical to reject the first offer in the last minute leaving them in a great mess...?

Please help me......
Original post by nissn
I need a suggestion...

I have got an admission in one university for doing PhD. I have accepted it initially and the registration process is ongoing. And now I have got an answer from other university with a great scholar ship and the excited is also too exciting. It is assumed as a prestiguous scholarship with a promising career for my future.

Is it ethical to reject the first offer in the last minute leaving them in a great mess...?

Please help me......

Did you get funding at the first uni?
Reply 2
Nothing to do with ethics.

Sort yourself out first and foremost.
Reply 3
Original post by Politics Student
Did you get funding at the first uni?

Yes I got! but little compared to the second one...
Reply 4
Unis expect that you will have applied to several places. All you need to do is say that you have decided to take up a place at another university.

If they ask about funding, I personally see no problem saying that you received a better funding package and see what they say. Sometimes, in some disciplines, money has a habit of just appearing at the right time.

But to answer your actual question: no, not unethical to reject the first for the second - a lot of students do it, and the first uni can then offer your funding to someone else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending