The Student Room Group

Recommend me some deodorants/perfume (Men)

So yeah, off to university in a couple of days, and my sense of olfaction is not exactly great, so could anyone recommend me some good deodorants/ perfumes (or whatever the male equivalent is called) for

1) Going on nights out
2) Casual wear - e.g. going to lectures/daytime
3)After doing some sport/physical activity

Im a male (obviously) in my early 20s (if that makes a difference)

All responses appreciated:smile:

P.S. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum/subforum - I'm new to this entire smell business. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by pi=3
So yeah, off to university in a couple of days, and my sense of olfaction is not exactly great, so could anyone recommend me some good deodorants/ perfumes (or whatever the male equivalent is called) for

1) Going on nights out
2) Casual wear - e.g. going to lectures/daytime
3)After doing some sport/physical activity

Im a male (obviously) in my early 20s (if that makes a difference)

All responses appreciated:smile:

P.S. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum/subforum - I'm new to this entire smell business. :smile:

1) Paco Rabanne 1 million is pretty popular, but I also like the Hugo Boss Red. A quite expensive one is the Paco Rabanne Invictus (it's very new) but I think it's going to be reasonably popular. Davidoff Cool Water and Hot Water are decent bets. Jean Paul Gaultier always deserves a mention

2) Burberry Weekend is pretty decent (and cheap) for day-to-day, but I don't think it could hold up to a night out. Some people like Aramni Code. Joop jump is decent (and reasonable).

3) Not sure what the difference would be between 2 and 3, but The Body Shop (!!) do a surprisingly decent one called White Musk Sport I think, which always reminds me of a post-exercise smell (in a nice way!) Failing that, any of the Addidas/Nike aftershaves also smell decent. Aramani Code Sport is probably a bit on the higher end price-wise, but would be decent.

If you're just starting off, I'd get something from 1 and something from 2 (or just from 1 if you can't stretch to buying two aftershaves at once, they can be pricey) Get yourself down to Boots or Debenhams and sniff some of the aftershaves to give yourself an idea of what they smell like. It'll probably be cheaper to buy them online though. If you can take a lady-friend (or your mum/granny) with you, it might be easier as well! :biggrin:

Disclaimer: I am 100% certain that I've missed off some very good aftershaves from here, so wait to see what other people say, and then you can collate the results.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
I don't know about aftershave but for anti perspirent use right guard (the black one in particular) its the best on the market imo. Avoid lynx.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, 'Right Guard' or 'Lynx' will do that trick, 'Right Guard' also has the 24 hour protection and stops you from getting sweat patched, so is pretty good :smile:
Any Afftershave/Au de toilette that you think smells nice will be fine, maybe CK or Lichfield, although that is quite rare, although it smells delightful.
But yes, hope I helped :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Strangey
1) Paco Rabanne 1 million is pretty popular, but I also like the Hugo Boss Red. A quite expensive one is the Paco Rabanne Invictus (it's very new) but I think it's going to be reasonably popular. Davidoff Cool Water and Hot Water are decent bets.

2) Burberry Weekend is pretty decent (and cheap) for day-to-day, but I don't think it could hold up to a night out. Some people like Aramni Code. Joop jump is decent (and reasonable).

3) Not sure what the difference would be between 2 and 3, but The Body Shop (!!) do a surprisingly decent one called White Musk Sport I think, which always reminds me of a post-exercise smell (in a nice way!) Failing that, any of the Addidas/Nike aftershaves also smell decent. Aramani Code Sport is probably a bit on the higher end price-wise, but would be decent.

If you're just starting off, I'd get something from 1 and something from 2 (or just from 1 if you can't stretch to buying two aftershaves at once, they can be pricey) Get yourself down to Boots or Debenhams and sniff some of the aftershaves to give yourself an idea of what they smell like. It'll probably be cheaper to buy them online though. If you can take a lady-friend (or your mum/granny) with you, it might be easier as well! :biggrin:

Disclaimer: I am 100% certain that I've missed off some very good aftershaves from here, so wait to see what other people say, and then you can collate the results.

Excellent, thanks for this. Will deffo heads down to my local boots soon. Yeah, I think I will probably get something from (1) just to start off, and build on it once I've found the right one :smile:
Reply 5
Hai karate! JK
LoL

Seriously though I really like Jean Paul Gaultier. Go to a dept store in your uni city and try a few out and find out what you like. For ex. JPG might be a bit effeminate for you and so you'll prefer something like Hugo Boss instead IDK you have to try first.

Deodorant I use is body shop. In fact I buy a lot of BS stuff, everything except aftershave & eau de cologne.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Tabzqt
I don't know about aftershave but for anti perspirent use right guard (the black one in particular) its the best on the market imo. Avoid lynx.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you mind me asking why you think lynx is a bad idea? I've never tried it, but it seems pretty mainstream and many of my flatmates last year seemed to wear it often?
Reply 7
Original post by pi=3
Do you mind me asking why you think lynx is a bad idea? I've never tried it, but it seems pretty mainstream and many of my flatmates last year seemed to wear it often?

smells tacky, and I don't think girls seem to like it either, especially if you spray too much. imo deodorant should be almost scentless, and the aftershave should do the work with providing the smell.
Reply 8
Original post by Tabzqt
smells tacky, and I don't think girls seem to like it either, especially if you spray too much. imo deodorant should be almost scentless, and the aftershave should do the work with providing the smell.

That's a good point you don't want the deodorant detracting from the cologne. That's why I use BS it's subtle not overpowering.
Reply 9
Original post by Tabzqt

Cool, thanks for this - I'll be sure to look out for decent aftershaves :cool:
Reply 10
Original post by Tabzqt

I agree - the point of deodorant is to stop you smelling, not to give you a smell! Lynx can smell like teenagers as well (or the other way around, maybe!) not a young man studying hard at uni! Obviously all deodorants will have a bit of a smell, but it shouldn't linger.

OP, you need to let the aftershave have the main smell. The ones I mentioned in section 1 should be good enough for that.
Reply 11
there used to be one aftershave, few years ago, was in an almost square bottle, a slightly bluey-green colour. Tried it once in a shop and that night got a lot of female attention. Anyone remember what aftershave was called?
Paco Rabanne and Lynx.
Reply 13
Thanks for all the responses so far - I've deffo noted the point about letting the aftershave do the work in the olfaction department. Do you guys know roughly what price range these things are in? I don't mind coughing up for something I'm going to be using virtually everyday, but I don't think I'll be able to afford OTT £60 + prices
The tang of unwashed fanny ( you'll need a donor), oldspice and stale cigarette smoke is the ideal combination in any social setting xxx
Reply 15
Mitchum 48hr roll-on anti-perspirant keeps you very, very dry.. however i've had bad experiences with it staining my clothes.. it's also very cheap so only recommended for casual wear and for bargain hunters like me :smile:

Right guard (not Lynx), Sure and Vaseline (!) also do very good roll-on anti-perspirants which are also very cheap depending on where you buy them from. Roll-ons also last absolutely ages! :biggrin:
Reply 16
Original post by pi=3
Thanks for all the responses so far - I've deffo noted the point about letting the aftershave do the work in the olfaction department. Do you guys know roughly what price range these things are in? I don't mind coughing up for something I'm going to be using virtually everyday, but I don't think I'll be able to afford OTT £60 + prices

Aftershave can be expensive don't be suprised to be paying £40-60 for a top end product. You can get good quality at around £20-30. There are some low end nice ones like Calvin Klein & Gucci. But you really pay for what you get.

Best to buy a low end for day to day a mid range for weekends and a high end for Special Nights going out etc.

Deodorant is the same the more you pay the better the smell. In fact if you lash out on high end deodorant you need not worry about cologne.
Reply 17
Original post by Arketec
Aftershave can be expensive don't be suprised to be paying £40-60 for a top end product. You can get good quality at around £20-30. There are some low end nice ones like Calvin Klein & Gucci. But you really pay for what you get.

Best to buy a low end for day to day a mid range for weekends and a high end for Special Nights going out etc.

Deodorant is the same the more you pay the better the smell. In fact if you lash out on high end deodorant you need not worry about cologne.

Sound advice, thanks. I think I'll probably scout around for the £20 - £30 range first before moving up the ladder.
Reply 18
Oh btw, forgot to ask, should I try and get combinations of wearing cologne and aftershave, or is it better to just wear one at a time? Sorry for being a total n00b about this...:confused:
Reply 19
Original post by pi=3
Oh btw, forgot to ask, should I try and get combinations of wearing cologne and aftershave, or is it better to just wear one at a time? Sorry for being a total n00b about this...:confused:

It's possible to do combinations but can be a bit tricky to get right. I'd stick to just one aftershave to begin with.

Quick Reply

Latest