The Student Room Group

Occupational Therapy Experience and Volunteering

Hi. I am hopefully going to start university in 2014 doing a degree in Occupational Therapy. I know you need relevant experience in a health and social care setting, and preferably in OT. However I am finding it extremely hard to find anything. Has anyone got any tips or ideas for where I can get experience? I ideally need experience in the Surrey/ West Sussex area. Thanks in advance
(edited 10 years ago)
If you go to http://www.cotss-ip.org.uk you can search for occupational therapists in your local area and contact them to ask about voluntary work or shadowing.

Also, get in touch with the unis you'd like to apply to and ask them what their work experience requirements are for entry. For example, some unis say any healthcare setting is fine for experience. Other unis ask for a specific type or minimum amount of voluntary work, eg. Coventry Uni asks for 2 days shadowing an OT as an entry requirement.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Not sure if this is exactly what you mean, but you could try doing some volunteering on a mental health ward. The patients there are always bored to tears, and there are never enough staff to do interesting activities with them, so you could try ringing round and seeing if somewhere would take you. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending