The Student Room Group

Starting university course 2 weeks late how can I make friends easily?

I was on a different course in my university last year and then I decided the course wasn't right for me and I failed to modules .
I switched courses the course I've switched has been on for 2 weeks already and I'm starting sometime this week either tomorrow or Friday . The university only completed the transfer today.
I'm really worried I'm going to find it hard to make friends since I've missed the weeks where everyone has been getting to know each other.
Also I'm always shy when I don't know people well.
I can I get to know people and make friends.
I'm so worried I'm going to find it hard and then at lunch time I won't know who to hang with maybe people will have formed groups already. How can I get to know people in lectures?or tutorials?
My last course was small but this course seems to have more people.
I'm so nervous any ideas of how to make friends starting this late?
I do know people just not on this course it's just strange starting again and having to get to know people again. What can I do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was in the same situation as you last year but the thing to remember is that these are Freshers and the great thing about being at uni is that 1) (most) Freshers love to make friends 2) You can make friends at any time of year!

My advice is just to try not to worry too much (as difficult as that sounds) and just get up a bit of confidence to just say hi to people whether it's in a seminar or a lecture or just around campus.

My other big tip would be to join a society! I've made some of the best friends I've ever had through university societies and because you can join at any time of year it's not going to make a difference that you're already two weeks into term or that you're redoing a year or anything like that, you'll just be able to meet new people and have a great time! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Rachel0
I was in the same situation as you last year but the thing to remember is that these are Freshers and the great thing about being at uni is that 1) (most) Freshers love to make friends 2) You can make friends at any time of year!

My advice is just to try not to worry too much (as difficult as that sounds) and just get up a bit of confidence to just say hi to people whether it's in a seminar or a lecture or just around campus.

My other big tip would be to join a society! I've made some of the best friends I've ever had through university societies and because you can join at any time of year it's not going to make a difference that you're already two weeks into term or that you're redoing a year or anything like that, you'll just be able to meet new people and have a great time! :smile:

I missed freshers week it's just finished and I didn't go as I didn't want to go not knowing anyone all i have is the lectures/tutorials.
I'm just worried people will think I'm new and not talk to me as they don't know me and haven't seen me before.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I missed freshers week it's just finished and I didn't go as I didn't want to go not knowing anyone all i have is the lectures/tutorials.
I'm just worried people will think I'm new and not talk to me as they don't know me and haven't seen me before.

Don't worry about it! I didn't go to my second Freshers either but no one's going to know that about you unless you tell them :smile:

At this stage in the year everyone is new and most people won't have seen the others either so just try not to worry, people can be so much nicer than they seem :smile:
Reply 4
Don't give it a second thought.

All the students will have been bombarded with meeting new people for the last fortnight, they wont remember everyone they met or didnt meet. There will be others who didnt do Freshers for a variety of reasons. Remember that all the students are new, its not like you are joining a class of ten people who have been together for a year, you are joining a huge group that are all new to it, I'll bet there will still be people who you meet and have not noticed before at Xmas!

Get out there, speak to people, join clubs and have fun!

Work hard, play hard and have a wonderful experience! :smile:
Reply 5
I'm thinking I might try and talk to whoever I'm standing or sitting near I just don't know how to start the conversation .
I was meant to start today but left it because I was nervous and I wasn't organised I didn't have any notebooks or anything I'm going in tomorrow. I'm nervous about the lunch time situation about if I just follow a random group or I don't know.
Reply 6
You'll meet so many people at university that you really shouldn't worry :smile:
Reply 7
Relax! Everyone is still getting to know each other. Smile at people, ask how its going for them, mention the food/weather/music/anything. Go in tomorrow, the longer you leave it the harder it will get, plonk yourself with some other people at lunch and introduce yourself, 'Hi, I'm Lola!' that's all there is to it :smile: There will definitely be people you don't click with, that's fine, life is like that, just remember that there will be hundreds of people you do meet that are great. Wear something you like so you feel a bit confident, get in there and get amongst it, you only have to do your first day ONCE, and in that day you only have to go into a lecture for the first time ONCE, you only have to strike up your first conversation ONCE, smile at someone for the first time ONCE....when you think about it, once you have walked in there in the morning then you have done the hard bit. You can do this! Let us know how it goes....
Reply 8
Will do I'm going in tomorrow I took today off to get myself organised and all the stationary I needed which I didn't have.
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
Will do I'm going in tomorrow I took today off to get myself organised and all the stationary I needed which I didn't have.

Hope it went really well! :smile:
Reply 10
I started today was so weird I didn't really speak to many people most people are in groups. I had two hour breaks. The first I went to the library and then starbucks by myself I don't mind too much. The next class was the tutorial a couple of the lads I spoke to and one said hi to me and I had to work in a group with them. The next break I went to he library again by myself. Some of the girls don't seem to want to talk to me or I'd try but they don't seem to interested in talking. In another class it was okay had a test and I spoke to one of the girls sitting beside me and she lent me her sheet as we had a test and I didn't have a sheet for that class. I'll have to give it back to her whenever I see her. So I still didn't speak to many still getting used to it.
Reply 11
Great start! Remember that many people might still be feeling a bit nervous about striking up conversations, so anyone you say Hi to might be grateful for the contact. Keep smiling, keep saying hi, hows it going? and the start of term awkwardness will soon be a dim and distant memory. :smile:
Reply 12
Yeah I might seem a bit aloof though as I do keep to myself rather then sitting near people I might sit on a table on my own.
It's just the breaks are so awkward not knowing who to hang with , and groups are forming I don't know do I follow a random group or talk to someone near the end before break and just get into conversation . I'm always thinking people will be judging me.
Reply 13
Do you know what? Some people will judge you, and some people are gits, but hundreds and hundreds if not thousands of the people you are with are just fab! Walk up to a group and say hi, introduce yourself, it does not commit you to anything, you don't have to hang with them forever more. Some people might prefer to stick with their little clique and not be welcoming, but 99% of people will be cool. And do you know what else, you are judging your situation against other peoples based on just what you can see, but in their heads many of them feel just exactly the same as you.....you are judging your outtakes and cutting room floor against their reel of edited highlights! You are not so different to any of the others, they are all a bit nervous, finding their feet same as you. The very worst that can happen is that you chat to someone who turns out not to be the kind of person you want to hang out with, and thats so bad, it happens all thru life.

Pick some societies or clubs and go along, you will be with others who you know you have at least one more thing in common with.

Each day easier than the last, grab it by the horns and have yourself some fun times my friend!

:smile:
Reply 14
Original post by LolaLowe
Do you know what? Some people will judge you, and some people are gits, but hundreds and hundreds if not thousands of the people you are with are just fab! Walk up to a group and say hi, introduce yourself, it does not commit you to anything, you don't have to hang with them forever more. Some people might prefer to stick with their little clique and not be welcoming, but 99% of people will be cool. And do you know what else, you are judging your situation against other peoples based on just what you can see, but in their heads many of them feel just exactly the same as you.....you are judging your outtakes and cutting room floor against their reel of edited highlights! You are not so different to any of the others, they are all a bit nervous, finding their feet same as you. The very worst that can happen is that you chat to someone who turns out not to be the kind of person you want to hang out with, and thats so bad, it happens all thru life.

Pick some societies or clubs and go along, you will be with others who you know you have at least one more thing in common with.

Each day easier than the last, grab it by the horns and have yourself some fun times my friend!

I'll try that tomorrow I think I come across as aloof at times as well. I'll try and sit around people rather than on my own leaving a space between us. I'll let you know if the the 2nd day is any better.
Reply 15
The very worst that can happen is that you chat to someone who turns out not to be the kind of person you want to hang out with, and thats NOT so bad, it happens all thru life.

I meant its NOT so bad!
Reply 16
I spoke to one person who was sitting beside me Monday but didn't go and hang with her after just did my own thing. Today hung on my own as I was late to the lecture and wasn't sitting near anyone spoke to a couple more in the afternoon as I was near the person I spoke to Monday so I spoke to her and whoever she was with. Hopefully the days will get better knowing more still don't know anyone really.
Mate, it just takes time.

Be persistent in talking to people who you sit with, are around you, etc. Just general chats. You will slowly get familair with eachother and build friendships. It just takes time. Then one day, you can ask "what are you doing for lunch" and automatically they'll invite you to join in with them.

Also, try societies as well..great way of meeting people.
Reply 18
I meant its NOT so bad!

Original post by Spongebob'sPants
Mate, it just takes time.

Be persistent in talking to people who you sit with, are around you, etc. Just general chats. You will slowly get familair with eachother and build friendships. It just takes time. Then one day, you can ask "what are you doing for lunch" and automatically they'll invite you to join in with them.

Also, try societies as well..great way of meeting people.

I think I've made friends now I started by speaking to a couple of people and spoke the one I'd already spoken to after lecture just went over to them all and then spoke to them more and then sat with them and have for the past two days and I know their names now and they know mine. Just need to open up more I'm still slightly quiet around them don't want them to think I'm boring.

I think
Reply 19
Yay! keep doing just as you are, you are doing great!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending