The Student Room Group

Asked to withdraw

​last week I got a surprising call from my personal tutor stating that I was being asked to withdraw from university , due to failing a module from my first year . I was getting ready to go into my final year of university. He advised me to appeal this decision .I have written an appeal to my university however there are many problems I am facing .1 . My university is in Belfast I live in England but have taken out a housing contract for my third year I have no idea what I can do about this if I can't get back into uni 2. I haven't told my parents as they will add stress to the situation I was planning to fly back to Belfast to wait for the appeal decision .3.i don't find out whether my appeal has been successfully until the end of September this could potentially go on until mid October. 4. If I don't get back in I would like to start again at a new uni however the length of the appeal process is making it tricky for me to arrange to go to another uni 5. seeing as I have completed 2 years at one institution will I have to pay for my first year at a new uni .
any help would be much appreciated I know it's a complicated situation .
Reply 1
Are they even allowed to tell you this late? Seems really unfair.
Reply 2
I know , it's crazy I had no prior warning that these would be the consequences
Reply 3
How come they are only telling you NOW that you've failed a first year module?! That's awful, I really do feel for you!
Reply 4
Thanks I've had really bad anxiety since I found out :-(
Reply 5
I would advise you to tell your parents, they may be of some help and it will be harder for you to explain should the worse happen.
Reply 6
I don't see what possible help they could give , I imagine my dad would try and force me to quit education and find a job and my mum act in a hysterical and stressful manner . Only increasing my anxiety
Reply 7
I recommend you phone them up and speak to them. That will make everything clear to you, and appeal the decision as your PT has advised. Its not Fair, and it should not be tolerated.
Reply 8
I've not begun uni yet so you all are perhaps in a good position to answer, but I thought your first year did not matter or count towards your degree?
Reply 9
I've phoned up several times but the only replies I've been given has been to speak to my personal tutor , he has given me his full support with the appeal
Wow that is so harsh! Did you not know you failed it though? Didn't they give you the opportunity to resit? Maybe you could negotiate and say you'll repeat the module or take an extra year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
I did resit and found out I failed last week when I got the call saying I was being asked to leave .
Original post by Shannon92
I did resit and found out I failed last week when I got the call saying I was being asked to leave .

You have just found out that you failed your resit in the first year? I would perhaps seek some professional advice regarding your rights as a student because something does not add up here, you shouldn't have been allowed to progress on to the second year if they are saying this now.
This is bizarre.

You need to go and speak to your SU's advice service - they can advise you and attend the appeal hearing with you, and generally put pressure on the uni to do the right thing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by pinda.college
You have just found out that you failed your resit in the first year? I would perhaps seek some professional advice regarding your rights as a student because something does not add up here, you shouldn't have been allowed to progress on to the second year if they are saying this now.

No I just found out I failed a resit I did for the exam this summer I've retaken the exam a few times but failed . Does anyone have any suggestions for a back up plan in case my appeal falls through ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending