The Student Room Group

Female wanting to shave her head

Hi, so basically I'm a female and I'm 16 years old. When I was younger my hair was really healthy and thick, but as I grew up my hair started falling out a lot and I honestly think it's to do with my diet because I started eating unhealthy foods and it went really bad. Even my doctor found so many deficiencies in my blood, etc. I've also been super stressed for so long, I was on the verge of depression but I just finishes my GCSEs recently and left school. I was thinking about completely shaving my head so I'm bald, and then I'll start eating really healthy and taking care of myself, etc. Will my hair grow back healthy and thick again, because that's how my hair was naturally during childhood.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Your hairs naturally fall out and are replaced so there's no need to shave it I don't think. It should improve gradually over time as more are replaced.
Original post by saliha16
Hi, so basically I'm a female and I'm 16 years old. When I was younger my hair was really healthy and thick, but as I grew up my hair started falling out a lot and I honestly think it's to do with my diet because I started eating unhealthy foods and it went really bad. Even my doctor found so many deficiencies in my blood, etc. I've also been super stressed for so long, I was on the verge of depression but I just finishes my GCSEs recently and left school. I was thinking about completely shaving my head so I'm bald, and then I'll start eating really healthy and taking care of myself, etc. Will my hair grow back healthy and thick again, because that's how my hair was naturally during childhood.

My hair's the same tbh and it has freaked me out! I used to dye it a lot though, you could try changing your diet without shaving your hair, that is such a huge commitment and if you regretted it you'd have to wait for the re-growth
Reply 3
Original post by riddlemethis20
My hair's the same tbh and it has freaked me out! I used to dye it a lot though, you could try changing your diet without shaving your hair, that is such a huge commitment and if you regretted it you'd have to wait for the re-growth

I've lost so much hair though, it's scary! I used to tie my hair with the band in 2 knots, now I have to do 4! :frown:
I've always got this crazy urge to shave my hair, too indecisive though, can't commit to it. I know nothing about hair, but it sounds like you've lost a fair bit, I'd probably say go for it and just shave it, you're a braver person than me if you do! Stress can cause hair loss, it's probably more likely to be that than diet, heaps of people with unhealthy diets have really nice hair.
I've lost so much hair though, it's scary! I used to tie my hair with the band in 2 knots, now I have to do 4! :frown:

Quite a lot comes out when I brush mine... if you tie your hair up tightly on a frequent basis then that does have its affects, try using volumising products? it could help, but make sure you have a healthy diet as well, if you are set on shaving your hair then maybe have a shorter hair style first before fully commiting.

If you were to shave it, do it for a good cause - you could receive a large amount of money for selling your hair to a hair loss clinic for the production of a wig - let me know if you would like more info :smile:
Reply 7
You don't need to completely shave it all off.

I had quite fine hair when I was younger, all I did was get a bob (around chin level) and it grew back much thicker and healthier.

Just take better care of yourself, eat right, get your vitamins, take good care of your hair and it'll sort itself out.
Original post by IlexBlue
You don't need to completely shave it all off.

I had quite fine hair when I was younger, all I did was get a bob (around chin level) and it grew back much thicker and healthier.

Just take better care of yourself, eat right, get your vitamins, take good care of your hair and it'll sort itself out.

Great advice :-) Have you thought any more?
Reply 9
Thanks for all the feedback but I think I'm up for shaving it. I mean what's life without risks anyway? :colondollar:
I don't know who gave you this idea, but it's not a very good one. Shaving has absolutely no benefits whatsoever. It will just irritate your delicate skin on your head.
Instead just eat better for about 6 months. An average hair cycle is about 3-6 months, so by then your hair will improve IF you follow a diet and hair care regime strictly.
Whats to say the new hair that grows out won't be thick and pretty?
Thanks for all the feedback but I think I'm up for shaving it. I mean what's life without risks anyway? :colondollar:

Go for it!! If that's what you want, you should!
Reply 12

lol
Did you do it?
Reply 14
You could always just cut it fairly short, and then get it cut every 4 weeks till its healthy. Its very important to get it cut regularly to keep it healthy and growing, if you are expecting to shave it and then leave it till it grow out Im afraid that most likely will not work well. To keep it healthy you should: Not use heat, dye, brush or wash too often. You should use hair mask, natural oils, cut it regularly and comb it when its dry with a wide tooth comb.
That is brilliant advice from Charlzi
Original post by Charlzi
You could always just cut it fairly short, and then get it cut every 4 weeks till its healthy. Its very important to get it cut regularly to keep it healthy and growing, if you are expecting to shave it and then leave it till it grow out Im afraid that most likely will not work well. To keep it healthy you should: Not use heat, dye, brush or wash too often. You should use hair mask, natural oils, cut it regularly and comb it when its dry with a wide tooth comb.

Agreed! Except the part about cutting regularly to keep it growing. As the hair is made up of dead cells, cutting it has no effect on the roots where the hair grows out from. However this does keep it looking healthier by removing dead/split ends.
Reply 17
Original post by carrotstar
Agreed! Except the part about cutting regularly to keep it growing. As the hair is made up of dead cells, cutting it has no effect on the roots where the hair grows out from. However this does keep it looking healthier by removing dead/split ends.

She wants healthy hair though, therefore I mentioned cutting it regularly to ensure that when it is the lenght she desired, it is all healthy hair :smile:
Original post by Charlzi
She wants healthy hair though, therefore I mentioned cutting it regularly to ensure that when it is the lenght she desired, it is all healthy hair :smile:

Agreed
Reply 19
If it's more about healthy hair, I agree with all the advice you've been given but if it's about taking risks, doing something you've never done before, taking an action that will pump your adrenaline, I am all out for it.

Quick Reply

Latest