The Student Room Group

Computer Science VS Software Engineering?

Hello guys,

I am currently a sixth form student planning on going to university next year. I have always had my eyes set on doing a computer science degree as that is what has always interested me. My future career I would like would be in the department of developing software.

However, my predicament is, can I get a career within software engineering with a computer science degree or do I need to specifically do a software engineering course? I ask this as I am quite confused, to my understanding it seems that computer science covers every aspect of computing to a certain level, including software engineering, but is that still okay to be able to get a job within that sector or will I have a better chance by doing a software engineering degree?

Many thanks.
Reply 1
Hi JayFuller, I'd be pretty surprised if doing a computer science degree precluded you from a career in software engineering. There is a lot of overlap, and depending upon where you choose to study, you will often get a choice of modules on either course.
Reply 2
No you can certainly go into the software development/engineering industry with a computer science degree. To be honest a computer science and software engineering degree generally overlap in their content quite significantly. Also most universities allow you to choose your study modules so you can choose more software development ones if preferred.

In fact, you don't even need a computing related degree to get into the software development industry as there isn't really any significant industry qualifications or titles that major companies look out for. As long as your good at it and you can demonstrate your passion for it you could get a job with a sociology degree.
Reply 3
Original post by tsnake23
In fact, you don't even need a computing related degree to get into the software development industry as there isn't really any significant industry qualifications or titles that major companies look out for. As long as your good at it and you can demonstrate your passion for it you could get a job with a sociology degree.

This. If you get a good Maths degree from a reputable university and learn to code to a good level on the side, I think employers would still be interested in you. As long as you can demonstrate your passion for the industry, skills...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending