The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Robbie242
Shut up, I got As in Maths Fmaths as well as in Economics and History for AS-level, I read the Economist fairly often and research historical events, and build my own opinions on past, present and future topics/issues in the world.

You're just full off butthurt I can sense it. Probably because you can't solve equations AND do this stuff together :rolleyes:

Dude, you did better than a lot of the A* GCSE History pupils at my school :tongue:
Original post by mynameisjames
TenofThem I think her name is, she's clever as ****

She most certainly is.
Original post by Felix Felicis

This guy!

Although maybe not smartest per se because I haven't met him or other people here.

As it's been said, intelligence is nog based on exam success... That's one aspect of it, it's about being versatile and spontaneous and being able to turn your hand at new things and understanding them.

For me an all rounder as well.

If I'm honest I think Felix fits that, and if I met him in real life he'd probably consolidate my opinion!
Reply 83
To purport that one man is clever, is to brandish the most ignominious form of arrogance. Let each man seem himself as a beast or a God.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zakee
To purport that one man is clever, it to brandish the most ignominious form of arrogance. Let each man seem himself as a beast or a God.

^This guy wins the category for best vocabulary. I'd love to see how your Personal Statement reads :tongue:
Me
Original post by Zakee
To purport that one man is clever, it to brandish the most ignominious form of arrogance. Let each man seem himself as a beast or a God.

Original post by Boy_wonder_95
^This guy wins the category for best vocabulary. I'd love to see how your Personal Statement reads :tongue:

Proving you can read a dictionary doesn't always go down well in a personal statement. Getting yourself across as an individual and why you are exactly what they want as a student is far more important. Plus, spelling errors can ruin everything.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 87
Original post by MrEFeynman
Proving you can read a dictionary doesn't always go down well in a personal statement. Getting yourself across as an individual and why you are exactly what they want as a student is far more important. Plus, spelling errors can ruin everything.

I don't think you really understood the irony of the statement. To measure intellect online is a difficult task because people can easily lie about what they know and how they can talk. That statement is saturated with satire. :smile:
I would vote for myself, but as it happens. I'm far too smart to do something that dumb :rolleyes:
Original post by JordanS94
I don't know how they are in other subjects but DJMayes is ridiculous at maths.

UMS does not indicate intelligence.
Original post by Zakee
I don't think you really understood the irony of the statement. To measure intellect online is a difficult task because people can easily lie about what they know and how they can talk. That statement is saturated with satire. :smile:

I understood and intelligence is a multifaceted beast, hence I am in agreement with you on it being a very unreliable intermediary to judge anothers intelligence. I was just pointing out to the previous poster, that he was misguided with his conception of what intelligence is.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 91
When I left mental hospital I applied to cambridge to study architecture, although I had no qualifications I got an interview in fact I got two. During one interview it was suggested to me that perhaps I would be better suited to Art History. I unfortunately (I was still quite ill) lost my temper arguing profusely that had I wanted to study art history I would have applied to Oxford at that point the interview was terminated and I recieved a letter saying the competition was high blah blah I didn't get a place.
I'm **** at maths and physics and no matter what students of architecture say I don't think you can really design properly without geometry at least etc.
Now I'm studying a level and will be taking the interviewers advice and will be studying art history mos' prob's at the Open University.
I'm not the brightest match in the box and just wanted to tell my story.
I personally think Holby_Fanatic is the brightest person on here. I don't talk to her or anyone else for that matter much, but she comes across as kind, honest, sincere, caring and intelligent. Much more important attributes to a persons personality than whether your good at maths or can slate someone down in a debate. IMO
Doesn't post anymore, but obstupefacere deserves a mention.
"Smartness in one field comes with the neglect of others" :colondollar:
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE
"Smartness in one field comes with the neglect of others" :colondollar:

Is that what idiots say to comfort themselves when they failure academically?
Original post by Oxford Success
Is that what idiots say to comfort themselves when they failure academically?

Its what Albert Einstein told, I guess,I think he used "genius".

I'd be wary of Einstein quotes, many of them are made up.
I think it's pretty reasonable to use Maths and hard sciences as a better rough indicator of intelligence than arts. People are talking about how some people who are great at maths might be terrible at some other things. That's a characterisation of maths savants that doesn't really apply to most people who are good at maths. Generally they don't look at a problem and think "this is the solution", they use knowledge, sound, self aware logical reasoning and tenacity to find the solution. It's far more common for someone to have an artistic talent that just doesn't reflect the rest of their intelligence. You might be able to write an emotive story, tell a funny joke or whatever. I think it's a lot more common for people with great comedic timing, drawing skills and geography degrees to be totally useless in the "real world" than it is for a talented mathematician to be.

I don't know who the most intelligent TSR member is, but over the years a few people come to mind. In no particular order, littleshambles, EierVonSatan, DanGrover, MSB, Melancholy and Drogue are all intelligent and happy to come across that way on here. Then there are others who are obviously extremely clever (from their achievements) but just use the forum as a chat forum so nobody would really know it. FadedJade springs to mind, Mr Fox back when he posted and I would probably put myself in this category (I have no achievements but I hear my internal monologue so I don't really need them to think I'm smart). I would also bet that Arturo Bandini over in the fitness forum is smart but it's hard to say since he only makes one line posts (there are probably thousands of TSRers like this.

I have never really talked to any of the hard science types here, so apart from EVS these are all artsy type people. If I know you and you're not on this list (failingatm for example) then lol sorry thx for trying.

A classic and fallacious appeal to false authority. Congratulations! Albert Einstein is but one of many "geniuses", and he was surpassed by many. He may stand as the popular figure of "genius" in this society, but you are mistaken to assume I am incorrect merely because my opinion, purportedly, disagrees with his.
Original post by Oxford Success
A classic and fallacious appeal to false authority. Congratulations! Albert Einstein is but one of many "geniuses", and he was surpassed by many. He may stand as the popular figure of "genius" in this society, but you are mistaken to assume I am incorrect merely because my opinion, purportedly, disagrees with his.

I love some of these quotes about intellect. One in particular is the idea (said in many famous quotes) that intelligent people do not know they are intelligent,which is complete rot. An intelligent person knows their limits, but it's pretty easy to realise if you're more intelligent than the average person. Do people really think Professors think themselves fools?

Latest