The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by i-love-coffee
Thanks for comparing as that's useful :smile:. Why Spanish over French/German? Another user suggested that earlier, but like I said, Spanish legal sector at the moment isn't doing well in the recession.
It is going to take you around four to five years to get to an employable point in French or German or Spanish, especially if you want to work in the legal sector, because lawyers who can't communicate with a full command of nuances aren't a saleable commodity. You should consider career opportunities over your lifetime, not just right now. The recession will end within our lifetime. I think...

^^ Interesting points and I think I agree. So many people want to learn French simply because it "sounds attractive". I really don't care about that, I just care about my C.V/career.
That's not as ridiculous a consideration as you might think. If you don't like the sound of the language, I don't know how you could spend 10,000 hours listening to it, and trying to speak it without going mad!
(edited 10 years ago)
I personally would say French, though maybe that's because I'm fluent in French and have done French A-Level and go to France on trips/exchanges every year. I personally love the language and like you I am doing it at University as an optional module as it will be the Core French 1st Year Degree module and it will count towards my Mathematics Degree as I can pick whatever modules I want (so long as I have the qualifications)

I did one year of German at school and dropped it for Spanish as soon as I could (was already learning French) as I knew I wanted to learn it more than German and I do have a strong affinity for languages I must admit.

German is a fantastic language and either one of those would be great but having already started French, I really would continue with it - and it is always possible to learn it at a later date. Other than English, French and Spanish, I've taught myself decent bits of Hindi and Italian (very helpful once you've learnt Spanish) and can converse the basics confidently and understand a good chunk within reason, so it's never too late to start a new language ever!

So just follow your heart!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by John Stuart Mill
French isn't all that useful? Tell that to the UN who didn't even bother including German on their list of 6 official languages :wink:

It isn't. It's only the ninth most spoken language in terms of total speakers, and doesn't even make the top ten with native speakers. Furthermore, France, Belgium, Switzerland and Canada are the only developed nations to speak the language, and in the latter three only in certain regions.
Korean or Vietnamese.
Original post by Wilfred Little
German is horrendously difficult. It'd be easier to do French as that's a Romance language.

Is Spanish an option? If so I'd go with that.

German word order and cases are annoying sometimes. I did both at school but German is the only one I have carried on with and have made an effort to become fluent in.

I have to disagree with the person who said French to impress, I don't think people are impressed by French. German has a rep for being more difficult so I think people are more impressed by German than French. The non Indo-European languages impress people the most though.

German would be the most useful in Europe especially in business and science.
Original post by chronic_fatigue
German word order and cases are annoying sometimes. I did both at school but German is the only one I have carried on with and have made an effort to become fluent in.

I did it for three years and still didn't feel like I grasped it.
Reply 26
Definitely French.
Reply 27
If you find yourself in africa, french is better. I was always of the opinion that french was the second most spoke language worldwide.

Although you said that in terms of opportunities the growing economy in germany will further your career, so in a sense I'd advise you to do german if your motives on learning the language are solely focused on your law career :smile: Good luck with your course btw.
German!

I took German for A Level and loved it! Also took French for GCSE, but decided to stick with German for A Level. Started learning French from year 7 but German from year 8, and I can honestly say that I found German a lot easier than French - it's a lot more logical, when it comes to things like cases, word order, genders, and grammar in general. My teacher had a theory that if you were good at maths, and had a logical mind, German would suit you better than French, and it proved correct for everyone who was in my German set for A Level - all of us took Maths to at least AS.

EDIT: Oh, and I also intend to carry on studying German alongside (on top of) my course (hopefully to C1 or C2 level by the end of the course).
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by thegodofgod
German!

I took German for A Level and loved it! Also took French for GCSE, but decided to stick with German for A Level. Started learning French from year 7 but German from year 8, and I can honestly say that I found German a lot easier than French - it's a lot more logical, when it comes to things like cases, word order, genders, and grammar in general. My teacher had a theory that if you were good at maths, and had a logical mind, German would suit you better than French, and it proved correct for everyone who was in my German set for A Level - all of us took Maths to at least AS.

EDIT: Oh, and I also intend to carry on studying German alongside (on top of) my course (hopefully to C1 or C2 level by the end of the course).

Das stimmt. Ich studiere 'Biomedizin' an der Universitaet Plymouth. Bieten Brighton Sprachkurs mit Ihrem Hochschuleabschluss? Tut mir leid fuer Fehler.
Reply 30
Another user suggested that earlier, but like I said, Spanish legal sector at the moment isn't doing well in the recession.

Having a second language won't necessarily restrict you to Spain. Spanish is the 3rd most spoken language in the world, and I heard somewhere than something like 1 in 2 American's speak it, so it definitely won't be useless if you don't end up in the Spanish legal sector. Think in terms of your clients as well, rather than where you can live- you could be based in London, for example, where you're open to lots of different nationalities, and so having Spanish which is more widely spoken could be hugely beneficial. It's a global language and I think that you'll still have great use for it without having to be based in Spain/spending time in Spain.

Otherwise, I'd pick German.
Das stimmt. Ich studiere 'Biomedizin' an der Universitaet Plymouth. Bieten Brighton Sprachkurs mit Ihrem Hochschuleabschluss? Tut mir leid fuer Fehler.

Kein Problem :smile:

Ja, es gibt die Wahl, eine Fremdsprache (Deutsch, Französisch, oder Italienisch) als Teil des Studiums oder außerdem dem Studium zu studieren. Meiner Ansicht nach ist die beste Sache darum, dass man anfangen kann, die Sprache auf verschiedenen Ebenen zu lernen, was bedeutet, dass niemand von einem Fortschrittmangel eines anderen Student begrenzt wird.

Noch besser ist es, dass diese Sprachkurse zu Studenten von Brighton und vollzeitigen Mitarbeitern gratis sind!
Reply 32
I'd go for German =]
Kein Problem :smile:

Ja, es gibt die Wahl, eine Fremdsprache (Deutsch, Französisch, oder Italienisch) als Teil des Studiums oder außerdem dem Studium zu studieren. Meiner Ansicht nach ist die beste Sache darum, dass man anfangen kann, die Sprache auf verschiedenen Ebenen zu lernen, was bedeutet, dass niemand von einem Fortschrittmangel eines anderen Student begrenzt wird.

Noch besser ist es, dass diese Sprachkurse zu Studenten von Brighton und vollzeitigen Mitarbeitern gratis sind!

Sowie ich weisse, gibt es keine Sprachkurse fuer Plymouth Studenten. Nur englische Sprachkurse fuer internationale Studenten.
Cool, Hast du A Level Deutsch gemacht order bis AS Level? Ich habe ein 'D' in AS Deutsch verdient :colondollar:. Auf der andere Seite, habe ich Freudinnen mit 'As' fuer A2 und sie koennen noch kein Deutsch sprechen. :eek:

Geniesst du Freshers Week ?
Sowie ich weisse, gibt es keine Sprachkurse fuer Plymouth Studenten. Nur englische Sprachkurse fuer internationale Studenten.
Cool, Hast du A Level Deutsch gemacht order bis AS Level? Ich habe ein 'D' in AS Deutsch verdient :colondollar:. Auf der andere Seite, habe ich Freudinnen mit 'As' fuer A2 und sie koennen noch kein Deutsch sprechen. :eek:

Geniesst du Freshers Week ?

Hab A für A2 Deutsch verdient (zwei UMS von einer A* Note weit entfernt), aber ich setzte ein Jahr aus, da ich kaum Deutsch seit einem Jahr spreche.

Mein Freshers Week fängt am 30sten Oktober an, und es dauert zwei Wochen, aber ich ziehe nach Brighton am 28sten. :smile:
In the EU = German
Outside the EU = French.

French is one of the 6 official UN languages, German is not.
Hab A für A2 Deutsch verdient (zwei UMS von einer A* Note weit entfernt), aber ich setzte ein Jahr aus, da ich kaum Deutsch seit einem Jahr spreche.

Mein Freshers Week fängt am 30sten Oktober an, und es dauert zwei Wochen, aber ich ziehe nach Brighton am 28sten. :smile:

typische TSR :biggrin:. lol

Viel Gluek mit Pharmacie. Naechste Woche faegnt meine junge Schwester erste Jahr von Pharmacie an. Erste Jahr ist leicht, zweite Jahr ist sehr schwer und verscheiden von erste Jahr. :frown:
Reply 37
mandarin. not trolling.
typische TSR :biggrin:. lol

Viel Gluek mit Pharmacie. Naechste Woche faegnt meine junge Schwester erste Jahr von Pharmacie an. Erste Jahr ist leicht, zweite Jahr ist sehr schwer und verscheiden von erste Jahr. :frown:

Danke! :biggrin:

Also wo studiert denn deine Schwester? Ja, sollte sein, so hab ich gehört :s-smilie:
Danke! :biggrin:

Also wo studiert denn deine Schwester? Ja, sollte sein, so hab ich gehört :s-smilie:

Manchester.

Latest