The Student Room Group

Post-GAMSAT thoughts...

So, I sat the GAMSAT on Wednesday and it didn't go very well. I wanted to post this so I've a record myself in case I attempt it again next year, and as a warning for others.

I prepared fairly solidly for 6 weeks during the school holidays, then kept up the revision after that.

I worked through all the ACER practice material, and sat both Practice Tests.

I used the Griffith's guide (admittedly an older edition I had bought back in 2009) to guide my revision.

At the end of this process, I had a good understanding of chemistry, organic chemistry and biology.

I have a PhD in biochemistry (awarded 2009).

Warning 1: When I sat my first practice test, I got 90% on Section 1 and 62% on Section III. This lulled me into a false sense of security I think. I would say especially Practice Test I but the sample questions in general are too easy to be reflective of the actual test - perhaps the test has got harder over the years. I did less well in Section III on Practice Test II (only 50%) which was more useful in letting me know that perhaps my science revision wasn't up to scratch.

Warning 2: The Griffith's Guide suggests that factual recall isn't required in the majority of areas (it tells you when it is). I would say this can lull you into a false sense of security too. You need to have learnt off by heart the material as questions can require this e.g. organic reactions. Also it doesn't reflect (at least my edition) the depth of knowledge required in some areas.

Warning 3: Bring paracetamol. I enjoyed Section I and II, but perhaps the combination of anxiety, tiredness, the magnitude of the test's life impact or too much/little caffeine brought on a headache which meant I found it hard to focus during section III. This then induced panic which made it harder still to actually settle in to the test.

Warning 4: Despite all you need to know for Section III, much of it seems to be more like mathy logic puzzles. I honestly think that someone fairly bright with a bit of a science background and no pre-conceptions and anxiety surrounding the exam could do fairly well by just working out the little puzzles they put it along the way.

I suppose that's the most important thing really. You need to have factual recall for some questions, to a deep and full degree, and you also need to have practised an abundance of questions, beyond all the available practice material, so you're not thrown off when you see something you think you know presented in a different way.

TBH, I think I was fairy well prepared. A combination of tiredness and a headache induced early panic which meant I couldn't keep up with the time pressures of Section III. Your understanding across especially biology and chemistry needs to be complete, and don't rely on the practice materials to guage difficulty.

Ginger - feeling a bit depressed.
Reply 1
*subscribes*
Reply 2
I decided to do the GAMSAT last minute so I had 6 weeks to study. To be honest I think I messed up because I had too much coffee, the worst part of it is it started the minute the lady said " you can now start.." and for the first 10min of section 1 I was super "high" I got so panicked because I thought its all over and teh longer it took to settle down the more annoyed I got because I know is eating away time. During practice, I was totally fine with section 1 not so good with section 3 despite being a science graduate.

Anyways I think I have preformed really bad, for me it was a wasted attempt and I could have done much better.

Does anyone know when the results are out? is it mid November? (not that am looking forward to it :tongue:)
Original post by Ama2007
Does anyone know when the results are out? is it mid November? (not that am looking forward to it :tongue:)

Usually 2 months afterwards, so yeah, November :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending