The Student Room Group

Let A be a subset of X. Suppose there is an injective function from X to A...

Let X be a set and let A be a subset of X. Suppose there is an injection $f: X \rightarrow A$. Show that the cardinalities of A and X are equal.

I tried proving this for hours but couldn't really get anywhere. So I was wondering if anybody could give me a hint so that I could start from there. By the way, I'm not supposed to use the Cantor-Bernstein Theorem.

Thanks in advance
The inclusion map of A into X is an injection from A to X, so if you could use the Cantor-Bernstein theorem you'd be done.

Now for doing it directly. The "obvious" thing would be to try and prove f must be surjective, but that isn't true when the cardinalities are infinite (e.g. real line, A = (0,1), have a map that's a bijection onto (0,1/2)). Also, looking at this example, there's no obvious way to construct a bijection from having f. I feel like the proof would be some cut down version of the Cantor-Bernstein theorem that's easier because the injection from A to X is just inclusion, but I'm at a loss as to how to do it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Artus
Let X be a set and let A be a subset of X. Suppose there is an injection $f: X \rightarrow A$. Show that the cardinalities of A and X are equal.

I tried proving this for hours but couldn't really get anywhere. So I was wondering if anybody could give me a hint so that I could start from there. By the way, I'm not supposed to use the Cantor-Bernstein Theorem.

Thanks in advance

The statement is equivalent to Cantor-Bernstein:

Suppose the statement holds, and let the following maps be injective MgfN\displaystyle M _g\leftrightarrows^f N. Then g(M) is a subset of N, and gf is an injection from N to g(M), so by from the statement, there's a bijection h:g(M)Nh: g(M) \rightarrow N. So hg is bijection between M and N, so Cantor-Bernstein follows.

Basically, you're being asked to prove something equivalent to Cantor-Bernstein, so you're going to end up having to "copy" the proof somehow.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
This elaborates on what Mark said.

You want a bijection XA X\rightarrow A . ff is injective. To make it surjective, you only need to take care of aA a\in A such that a∉f(X) a\not\in f \left( X \right) . What does the proof of Cantor-Bernstein suggest that you do?

Spoiler

Disclaimer:

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Artus

Thanks in advance

I am about to either over simplify it and lose all rigour or about to make my first contribution to TSR. But here goes;

From hypothesis that A is a subset of X, don't we get |A| =< |X| ?

Next also from hypothesis that there exists f: X-->A s.t f is an injection, that |A| >= |X| ??

But both are only true when they are equal.
Reply 5
Original post by actuarialmaestro:p
I am about to either over simplify it and lose all rigour or about to make my first contribution to TSR. But here goes;

From hypothesis that A is a subset of X, don't we get |A| =< |X| ?

Next also from hypothesis that there exists f: X-->A s.t f is an injection, that |A| >= |X| ??

But both are only true when they are equal.

It's not an unreasonable thing to think that is should be true, but this is a really good example of why it's important to be really careful when using familiar notation for unfamiliar things:

We're used to the symbols <=, >= being used to express relationships between real numbers, and when they are used in this context, it's true that if a<=b and b<=a, then a=b.

In the context of the OP, the symbols <=, >= are being used to express relationships between cardinal numbers (which are essentially the different sizes that sets can have), and the way that <= and >= are defined is different to their definition as relations on the set of real numbers:

If A and B are sets, we say |A|<=|B| if there is an injective function from B to A, and say |A|>=|B| if there's an injective function from A to B. We also say |A|=|B| if there's a bijective function from A to B.

If A and B are finite sets, then if |A|>=|B| and |B|<=|A|, it's easy to show that |A|=|B|. However, for infinite sets, this is a lot harder to show, (for example, the set of natural numbers N obviously injects into the set of rational numbers Q, and you can inject Q into N by mapping the fraction a/b in its lowest terms to 2^a 3^b, but it's not necessarily obvious that a bijective mapping exists) and that's what this question is about.
Original post by Mark13
It's not an unreasonable thing to think that is should be true, but this is a really good example of why it's important to be really careful when using familiar notation for unfamiliar things:

We're used to the symbols <=, >= being used to express relationships between real numbers, and when they are used in this context, it's true that if a<=b and b<=a, then a=b.

In the context of the OP, the symbols <=, >= are being used to express relationships between cardinal numbers (which are essentially the different sizes that sets can have), and the way that <= and >= are defined is different to their definition as relations on the set of real numbers:

If A and B are sets, we say |A|<=|B| if there is an injective function from B to A, and say |A|>=|B| if there's an injective function from A to B. We also say |A|=|B| if there's a bijective function from A to B.

If A and B are finite sets, then if |A|>=|B| and |B|<=|A|, it's easy to show that |A|=|B|. However, for infinite sets, this is a lot harder to show, (for example, the set of natural numbers N obviously injects into the set of rational numbers Q, and you can inject Q into N by mapping the fraction a/b in its lowest terms to 2^a 3^b, but it's not necessarily obvious that a bijective mapping exists) and that's what this question is about.

I am really sorry, I did mean it for finite sets yes. I meant o write it I believe, my bad. For infinite sets, we will have to set up a bijextion as you (or another user) commented :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by actuarialmaestro:p
I am really sorry, I did mean it for finite sets yes. I meant o write it I believe, my bad. For infinite sets, we will have to set up a bijextion as you (or another user) commented :smile:

No worries, what you said was exactly right for finite sets, I was just explaining how to deal with the infinite cases.
Reply 8
Original post by Mark13
The statement is equivalent to Cantor-Bernstein:

Suppose the statement holds, and let the following maps be injective MgfN\displaystyle M _g\leftrightarrows^f N. Then g(M) is a subset of N, and gf is an injection from N to g(M), so by from the statement, there's a bijection h:g(M)Nh: g(M) \rightarrow N. So hg is bijection between M and N, so Cantor-Bernstein follows.

Basically, you're being asked to prove something equivalent to Cantor-Bernstein, so you're going to end up having to "copy" the proof somehow.

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest