The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

American student studyign at Kingston in spring

I'm currently an American student at Wentworth Institute of Technology in Boston MA. I am comming to Kingston to study in the spring and was wondering where would be an ideal place to live. I also want any information I can get on getting place to stay for the semester. Has anyone lived on or off campus here? What would be my best bet?
Reply 1
Original post by 88jayto
I'm currently an American student at Wentworth Institute of Technology in Boston MA. I am comming to Kingston to study in the spring and was wondering where would be an ideal place to live. I also want any information I can get on getting place to stay for the semester. Has anyone lived on or off campus here? What would be my best bet?

It all depends which campus are you at plus you need to remember that the idea of campus in UK is slightly different than in US. If you want a room in a shared accommodation I would look at a spareroom. Used that website a few times already and found good rooms there.
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames
Reply 2
Original post by klika89
It all depends which campus are you at plus you need to remember that the idea of campus in UK is slightly different than in US. If you want a room in a shared accommodation I would look at a spareroom. Used that website a few times already and found good rooms there.

What website did you use? Also from what I've read I think that living in a flat would be my best choice since my housing preference is private accommodations.
Reply 3
www.spareroom.co.uk The good thing about the private accommodation is that it's usually more flexible and might be slightly cheaper
Reply 4
Anywhere apart from the Cambridge Estate.
Reply 5
So what would be better private accommodation or something on campus? Needa start looking soon.
Reply 6
Original post by 88jayto
So what would be better private accommodation or something on campus? Needa start looking soon.

well the main question is what do you expect from the accommodation and what is your budget
Reply 7
Where ever would be more "fun" (you know what I mean.) I am comming to the UK for four months and want to get as much out of it as possible. Let's leave budget at $700/month
Reply 8
Original post by Foo.mp3
I dunno how far £95 p/w will stretch in Kingston (I live nearby but don't study there) but your first port of call should be:

http://www.kingston.ac.uk/accommodation/

http://www.kingston.ac.uk/accommodation/private-accommodation/

"International students: Be extremely careful when seeking accommodation on the internet as cases of fraud are common. Never pay any money or sign documents before arriving in the UK and seeing the property."

Posted from TSR Mobile

How small are the accommodation spaces? And do they have crewfew/ do they have strict rules of what you can/can't do?
Reply 9
I've been placed in New Malden. From what I've read on this forum all I could derive was that there is a large Korean population there. Does anyone know anything about New Malden?
Reply 10
Original post by 88jayto
I've been placed in New Malden. From what I've read on this forum all I could derive was that there is a large Korean population there. Does anyone know anything about New Malden?

Large Korean population? Haha never struck me as such, can't even think of too many Eastern take away places around there either.

From New Malden you could either walk to uni if you wanted, or there are several bus options. Any idea which campus you will be based at?

I struggle to give a 'general overview' of places, but if you could ask specific questions I could be able to answer them. :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Seaton
Large Korean population? Haha never struck me as such, can't even think of too many Eastern take away places around there either.

From New Malden you could either walk to uni if you wanted, or there are several bus options. Any idea which campus you will be based at?

I struggle to give a 'general overview' of places, but if you could ask specific questions I could be able to answer them. :smile:

I'm in penhryn road campus. I guess I just want to know what the town is like. Like is it full of students or more families,young professionals, ect...
Reply 12
Original post by 88jayto
I'm in penhryn road campus. I guess I just want to know what the town is like. Like is it full of students or more families,young professionals, ect...

I would say that New Malden is relatively similar to areas around (Kingston, Surbiton etc.) You will have a mix of students, families, people commuting to central London to work...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending