The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

..anna..
Outline cultural bias?
i did a general definition, then defined every word that i knew was associated! like emic, etic, historical, ethnocentric........

Two psychological studies cultural bias
the studies word confused me! i like it when it says theories and/or studies!
i did strange situation! and....... ermm.. oh god i did Buss's questionnaire and said it was an example of ethnocentrism!

The Europe and US culture
this confused me too!
i defined eurocentrism and why it was made.. was it a bloke called nobles?!
and then wrote about hofsteds dimensions collectivist Vs individualist, masculine Vs feminine etc and said as these societies dont have all these factors they cannot give a fair representation! haha i talk rubbish in exam

Anna I think we must have had a bit of that psychic brain signals thing going on! I defined all the words i could remember for part a), then did ainsworth's strange situation and rambled on about altruism and the negative state relief model (not even sure if they're related, lol) and a study by Whiting and Whiting about Americans only being altruistic out of self-interest. Hmmm...! Then i wrote about Nobles eurocentrism stuff for part c), and named a bunch of studies that had cultural bias.

I didn't really get it and the 3 part question thing just threw me, but I think I must have picked up marks somewhere so it'll be fiiiiiiiine :biggrin:

In approaches I wrote about James Bond being 'cool' and men wanting to imitate him so they can attract women because this is a sign of him being a proper alpha male :biggrin: Ahhhh I loved that exam
Reply 81
i too have to apologise for raising the grade boundaries on the exam. Thought it went really well! :biggrin:
* i managed to write about 4 psychological theories for schizophrenia, then used the dopamine hypothesis (+evidence for this hypothesis) then continued with evaluation of psychological theories (ie nature/nurture)
* did SSR, defined it, then described Burt's, Goddard's, Bowlby's and Spitzer's theories in terms of Sieber and Stanleys '10 issues in SSR' ie Ownership of data ...blah...blah. Finally evaluated with psychologists views and beliefs.
* did qn 9, in terms of biology: dopamine, fight and flight, serotonin etc. and behavioural: operant conditioning, vicareous learning etc. My research involved 2 groups of P's, one watched a video of a thrill seeker being rewarded, the other group saw a thrill seeker being insulted. they were all then asked if they would do a bungee jump!!!!
Overall went great!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:
Reply 82
ljlindley
i too have to apologise for raising the grade boundaries on the exam. Thought it went really well! :biggrin:

Lol modest much there!
Reply 83
demonbuttercup
Anna I think we must have had a bit of that psychic brain signals thing going on! I defined all the words i could remember for part a), then did ainsworth's strange situation and rambled on about altruism and the negative state relief model (not even sure if they're related, lol) and a study by Whiting and Whiting about Americans only being altruistic out of self-interest. Hmmm...! Then i wrote about Nobles eurocentrism stuff for part c), and named a bunch of studies that had cultural bias.

I didn't really get it and the 3 part question thing just threw me, but I think I must have picked up marks somewhere so it'll be fiiiiiiiine :biggrin:

In approaches I wrote about James Bond being 'cool' and men wanting to imitate him so they can attract women because this is a sign of him being a proper alpha male :biggrin: Ahhhh I loved that exam

omg you wrote negative state relief model as well!!!! I thought I was the only one, but still no idea if it was right!!! and I wrote about ainsworth!!
Hiya,

I'm new to this forum, but really wanted to talk to some people about this exam!! I feel so blank as to how I've done...

Did schizo, part (b) i evaluated psychological exp and did a tiny bit on biological, ending it with diathesis-stress model

Hadent done cultural, so was stuck with SSR - which i was certain wouldnt come up again!! Felt like I completely messed up on this. What did every1 else write for this essay??!! I used 1 study, didnt know any others, and waffled (honestly) about how it can upset others, problems in society, BPS guidelines?? So confused!

And i did qu 8 for approachs- behavioural and psychodynamic (I thought my explanation would give the examiners a laugh anyway- was so random!!)

So glad its over, hope we all do well!! How does every1 else feel/write baout SSR tho??

Thanks, Aimee xxx:suith:
Reply 85
aimee_bee88

And i did qu 8 for approachs- behavioural and psychodynamic (I thought my explanation would give the examiners a laugh anyway- was so random!!)

How did you apply psychodynamic to that LiveAid one? I couldn't think of anything to say for that so did Q9
Reply 86
aimee_bee88

How does every1 else feel/write baout SSR tho??

mmm could have been worse I suppose but I was hoping for gender bias of non-human animals...or maybe an easier cultural bias question. I did a general definition of SSR, in reference to BPS guidelines. Then did race-related research on IQ, Jensen and Goddard (which I've just realised I wrote as Goodard in the exam *curses*). Then a long, not entirely relevant bit on homosexuality and the liberal humanistic approach. Finished off with a mention of Milgram and a waffly conclusion about how psychology needs to keep pushing the boundaries with its research :rolleyes: What about other people?
Reply 87
nickb123
Lol modest much there!
agreed. I was apologising cause i only needed a U so anything above that was just unfairly making it harder for everyone else :eek: :angel:

quite a few people that only needed Us, isnt psych such a doss (no offense intended, dont shoot me!)
Reply 88
Saffie
:, isnt psych such a doss (no offense intended, dont shoot me!)

:eek: !!! Not if you have to find the motivation and understanding to teach yourself cos your teacher's a pile of poo! I think it's a pretty complex subject despite the criticism it gets!
Reply 89
zoea85
:eek: !!! Not if you have to find the motivation and understanding to teach yourself cos your teacher's a pile of poo! I think it's a pretty complex subject despite the criticism it gets!
believe me, I taught myself this year because we got a new teacher who sucks and would make us copy stuff off the projector once that we'd never go back to it, or we'd just watch a video vaguely related to the syllabus.

i spose there's some vaguely complex stuff like the psychopathology, but its mainly just remembering names of studies. Its just a memory test. And come on, 57/94 for an A. Being the flippin easiest subject (that i do) you'd think there'd be higher boundaries, but no, the lowest of the low.

I didn't mean to imply that the subject as a whole is a waste of time, but A Level psychology is easy, seriously.
Reply 90
I did schizophrenia.

Did about 5 psychological explanations (family, cognitive, Expressed Emtotion, Freud) all in relatively small detail - I couldn't remember many facts! Then evaluated it (for (b)) using biological models rounding off with the Diathesis Stress Model. (like everyone else!)

Then did reductionism. Explained what reductionism was. Did mechanical reductionism and brought in The MSM (Atkinson and Shiffrin) and then went onto do Physiological Reductionism, reiterating the biological arguments for Schizophrenia. Argued that for it to be holistic you need to get a broad picture - so the Diathesis stress model's ace - cos it's a combo method. Brief bit on Psychology as a science (to fill time!) and then pros and cons of reductionism and holism. Wasn't a great essay - hopefull got a B though.

Then chose 9 - the adventure one. Did Biological and Behavioural. Tested using biological. I said i'd have independant group design, each with 10 p's... 10 who liked adventure 10 who didn't. i'd take urine and blood samples, and take their blood pressure and heart rate, i'd then make them do an adventurous activity - like zip line (like at PGL) and measure their stats again afterwards.. i predicted that those who preferred adventure woul dhave far higher levels of adrenaline.

thought it was a great paper. I'm planning to get good marks in Schizo and Approaches - so Reductionism shouldn't be too bad.

I'm soo glad you can see through the front of the exam paper though! :smile:

No more psychology now! :smile:
I actually had half hour spare time on this paper..which was odd. i normally always run out of time.. so i added more to the therapies. i did systematic and token economny like you & in the spare time also did flooding % implosion therapy..:cool:
Reply 92
HBB
I did schizophrenia.

Did about 5 psychological explanations (family, cognitive, Expressed Emtotion, Freud) all in relatively small detail - I couldn't remember many facts! Then evaluated it (for (b)) using biological models rounding off with the Diathesis Stress Model. (like everyone else!)

Then did reductionism. Explained what reductionism was. Did mechanical reductionism and brought in The MSM (Atkinson and Shiffrin) and then went onto do Physiological Reductionism, reiterating the biological arguments for Schizophrenia. Argued that for it to be holistic you need to get a broad picture - so the Diathesis stress model's ace - cos it's a combo method. Brief bit on Psychology as a science (to fill time!) and then pros and cons of reductionism and holism. Wasn't a great essay - hopefull got a B though.

Then chose 9 - the adventure one. Did Biological and Behavioural. Tested using biological. I said i'd have independant group design, each with 10 p's... 10 who liked adventure 10 who didn't. i'd take urine and blood samples, and take their blood pressure and heart rate, i'd then make them do an adventurous activity - like zip line (like at PGL) and measure their stats again afterwards.. i predicted that those who preferred adventure woul dhave far higher levels of adrenaline.

thought it was a great paper. I'm planning to get good marks in Schizo and Approaches - so Reductionism shouldn't be too bad.

I'm soo glad you can see through the front of the exam paper though! :smile:

No more psychology now! :smile:

Gosh!! I couldn't do biological if my life depended on it!! Though ur idea was good. I used the psychodynamic model. I said that the person seeks a thrill in the same way as they feel whilst doing something sexual.
Feelings of a sexual nature are repressed and displaced by adventure holidays. There is conflict between the id and the superego.
Participants noted down their best sexual experience and their best adventure holiday experience. They each had a 10-item scale for each and marked out of ten each experience. The sexual experience and adventure holiday experience would be equal in their perceived thrill and the averages of the 10-item scale!! Hehe!! Hope i get a good mark, I wrote loads!!
Reply 93
aimee_bee88
Hiya,

I'm new to this forum, but really wanted to talk to some people about this exam!! I feel so blank as to how I've done...

Did schizo, part (b) i evaluated psychological exp and did a tiny bit on biological, ending it with diathesis-stress model

Hadent done cultural, so was stuck with SSR - which i was certain wouldnt come up again!! Felt like I completely messed up on this. What did every1 else write for this essay??!! I used 1 study, didnt know any others, and waffled (honestly) about how it can upset others, problems in society, BPS guidelines?? So confused!

So glad its over, hope we all do well!! How does every1 else feel/write baout SSR tho??

Thanks, Aimee xxx:suith:

Thats fine on the SSR. I did the same-ish. I talked about Watson & Raynar - Little Albert and about Hamer's Gay Gene study. Also Bowlby's 44 Thieves and Milgram's study on obedience. I only wrote 2.5 - 3 pages though. I forgot to metion BPS guidelines but gave commentary on why the studies were SS and stuff. AAARRRGGGHHH!!!
nickb123
How did you apply psychodynamic to that LiveAid one? I couldn't think of anything to say for that so did Q9

I said that the people who responded must have had an over-exageratted libido on the oral stage, making them gullible and optimistic people. Therefore, they feel the need 2 respond more so than the frustrated oral people. Lol and maybe there are just lots of people who had exagerrated oral stages? Hehe I know it's completely unplausible, but the psychodynamic approch is a load of balls anyway

I'm feeling really worried about my SSR essay- you sound as tho you've all done really well - lots of examples, psychologists names. Mehh ahh well, whats done is done.

Just got RS12 Synoptic on monday now :frown: How boring. Every1 finished theire exams now??
zoea85

my psychology teachers are honestly the biggest excuse for the word 'teachers' ever. i pretty much taught myself the whole of the A2 syllabus, i just made my own notes from the book, and didn't have any help whatsoever from anyone, but still managed to get full marks in 3 papers. i do think the Psychology A level course is actually easy as pie, and because its all positive marking, its even more easy to get marks.
Reply 96
Im glad other people had time to spare too, thought it was me doing something wrong! I had about 30 minutes to spare so I kept looking back over my answers and added bits here and there but I was confident that I'd written enough on each question compared to the potential marks. I need 20 marks to get a B so Im well happy with the paper!:biggrin:
Reply 97
aimee_bee88
I said that the people who responded must have had an over-exageratted libido on the oral stage, making them gullible and optimistic people. Therefore, they feel the need 2 respond more so than the frustrated oral people. Lol and maybe there are just lots of people who had exagerrated oral stages? Hehe I know it's completely unplausible, but the psychodynamic approch is a load of balls anyway

I'm feeling really worried about my SSR essay- you sound as tho you've all done really well - lots of examples, psychologists names. Mehh ahh well, whats done is done.

Just got RS12 Synoptic on monday now :frown: How boring. Every1 finished theire exams now??

No way...got 2 politics exams next week!!! Then time to part on the 30th!! Woo-hoo!! :smile:
Reply 98
I thought it was a great paper :-) A fab way to end my exams due to the crappiness of many of them!
Behaviourism and reductionism- just what I needed :-D
The approach wa quite cool cos we had been given an example pretty similar to that before :-) As long as they buy the crap I wrote I should be OK...wooooo!

x
for question 9 my treatments was biological and i stated that they could try and measure brain activity and adrenaline levels when random words were said and every other word would be a dangerous sporting activity (linking to the question stuff like Trekking, white water rafting) and then you would be able to measure how much desire they have in taking part in dangerous adventure activities. (EEG's)

Latest

Trending

Trending