Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Existence of God

Announcements Posted on
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rIcHrD)
    If you accept the position that you exist, you are automatically faced with the question of why. In answering that, you invariably end up at why does the universe exist, or some other item that you cannot rationalise a cause for (e.g. God). Then it becomes apparent that if your first proposition was right, then things really can 'just exist'.
    How so? I've spent my entire life fully cognizant of my existance but never once have I had any urge to ask myself why I exist. Who honestly cares?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rIcHrD)
    If you accept the position that you exist, you are automatically faced with the question of why. In answering that, you invariably end up at why does the universe exist, or some other item that you cannot rationalise a cause for (e.g. God). Then it becomes apparent that if your first proposition was right, then things really can 'just exist'.
    dont understand you what is mmy first proposition anyways
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samara)
    IF GOD AIN'T REAL Y DO SO MANY PEEP BELIEVE????????

GOD IS VERY REAL
    INFACT GOD IS EVERYWHERE AND CAN C U BEING BAD RIGHT NOW :eek:
    In Norway , recent polls sugests that a majority of Norwegians do not beleive in god. By your logic this would imply that God does not exist in Norway Otherwise, the argument about truth being what the majority accepts is quite interesting. How do you distinguish between what you beleive to be true, what society beleives to be true and what is in fact true? The extreme version of this is idealism where is merely trhe ideas you have about reality. The extreme version of this is Solipsism in which you are the sole mind existing and existance is limited to what you beleive. Even though these views of truth are intersting one may question whether they are useful. After all, even though I cannot disprove a theory which makes no prediction about reality, what good is it? After all, I cannot use it in order to make any predictions about reality. This brings us to pragmatism, where a good theory is basicly a theory that is usefull, or as Steaphen Hawking put it:

"You may very well regard the earth as being a flat disk on the back of a tortoise, as long as that theory is consistent within the limitations of your experiment" - Steaphen Hawking
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    How so? I've spent my entire life fully cognizant of my existance but never once have I had any urge to ask myself why I exist. Who honestly cares?
    If you wish to be so pedantic, then let me correct you by highlighting there is a difference between being faced by a question and answering it. Who cares? Could ask you why you bother reading posting if you have no interest in what is being said.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    dont understand you what is mmy first proposition anyways
    The first proposition is the first statement, that you exist.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by presebjenada)
    i have to say i think thats a bit of a cop-out.. i agree that humans have much to learn.. but essentially saying "god exists and its too complicated for you to understand so just accept it" doesnt convince me.
    That's not what it's saying (if you look at it without bias). It's saying several things at once (depending on ur perspective). That God is a non-sensical explanation, and so is by definition false. It questions the validity of trying to answer all questions with one answer. It questions the existence/viability of an answer. It doesn't really say God is incomprehensible, at least no more so than it says it's a false concept.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Dr.Tarig Al Swaidan discovered some verses in the

Holy Qur'an

That mention one thing is equal to another,

i.e. men are equal to women.

Although this makes sense grammatically,

the astonishing fact is that the number of

times the word man appears in

the Holy Qur'an

is 24 and number of times the word

woman appears is also 24,

therefore not only is this phrase correct in

the grammatical sense but also true mathematically,

i.e. 24 = 24.

Upon further analysis of various verses,

he discovered that this is consistent throughout the whole

Holy Qur'an

where it says one thing is like another.

See below for astonishing result of

the words mentioned number of times in Arabic

Holy Qur'an

Dunia (one name for life) 115.

Aakhirat (one name for the life after this world) 115

Malaika (Angels) 88 . Shayteen (Satan) 88

Life 145 .... Death 145

Benefit 50 . Corrupt 50

People 50 .. Messengers 50

Eblees (king of devils) 11 . Seek refuge from Eblees 11

Museebah (calamity) 75 . Thanks 75

Spending (Sadaqah) 73 . Satisfaction 73

People who are mislead 17 . Dead people 17

Muslimeen 41 . Jihad 41

Gold 8 . Easy life 8

Magic 60 . Fitnah (dissuasion, misleading) 60

Zakat (Taxes Muslims pay to the poor) 32 .

Barakah (Increasing or blessings of wealth) 32

Mind 49 . Noor 49

Tongue 25 . Sermon 25

Desite 8 . Fear 8

Speaking publicly 18 . Publicising 18

Hardship 114 .... Patience 114

Muhammed 4 . Sharee'ah (Muhammed's teachings) 4

Man 24. Woman 24

And amazingly enough have a look how many times

the following words appear:

Salat 5, Month 12, Day 365,

Sea 32, Land 13

Sea + land = 32+13= 45

Sea = 32/45*100q.11111111%

Land = 13/45*100 = 28.88888889%

Sea + land 0.00%

Modern science has only recently proven that the water covers

71.111% of the

earth, while the land covers 28.889%.

Is this a coincidence? Question is that

Who taught Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) all this?

Reply automatically comes in mind that

ALMIGHTY ALLAH

taught him.

This as the

Holy Qur'an

also tells us this.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This isn’t a just cause for saying that there is a God, especially coming from a Islamic point of view. For starters the Islamic religion is a contradictory religion, if "woman are equal to men" why do they have to wear head scarf’s and men do not? Why are men allowed to have intercourse with other woman and Islamic woman are not etc? There is no equality within the Islamic faith, woman are repressed and that is the fact of the matter therefore woman are not equal to men.

And yes that is a coincidence about the number of times “sea and land” have been used. If there are so many noticeable comparisons between opposite of words wouldn’t it be

Sea 32 / Land 32
    or Land 13 / Sea 13

That is just coincidence that there happens to be that certain number of words in the Qur'an
    and the fact they add up to 45. Although you are correct in saying that there is approximately only 30% land 70% water. This is a approximation.

"Science Desk Reference American Scientific. New York: Wiley, 1999: 180."

"Surface: Land surface 150,000,000 sq km, 57,500,000 sq mi."

You/Dr.Tarig Al Swaidan cannot be so exact in saying that is it "Land = 13/45*100 = 28.88888889%" and put such a precise number on it. The earth is constantly changing and land is being eroded from nearly every country in the world. If only 0.0000000001% of the land was changed sum how, then that "28.888888888888888888888888889% " would be "28.8888888891111111111111111111 11" changing the entire sum of "13/45*100".It would be like having the world “land” thirteen times and then a random letter “L”.

This is merely coincidence but I do like the word comparisons.

Check the Math if you want to.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewis_R)
    This isn’t a just cause for saying that there is a God, especially coming from a Islamic point of view. For starters the Islamic religion is a contradictory religion, if "woman are equal to men" why do they have to wear head scarf’s and men do not? Why are men allowed to have intercourse with other woman and Islamic woman are not etc? There is no equality within the Islamic faith, woman are repressed and that is the fact of the matter therefore woman are not equal to men.

And yes that is a coincidence about the number of times “sea and land” have been used. If there are so many noticeable comparisons between opposite of words wouldn’t it be

Sea 32 / Land 32
    or Land 13 / Sea 13

That is just coincidence that there happens to be that certain number of words in the Qur'an
    and the fact they add up to 45. Although you are correct in saying that there is approximately only 30% land 70% water. This is a approximation.

"Science Desk Reference American Scientific. New York: Wiley, 1999: 180."

"Surface: Land surface 150,000,000 sq km, 57,500,000 sq mi."

You/Dr.Tarig Al Swaidan cannot be so exact in saying that is it "Land = 13/45*100 = 28.88888889%" and put such a precise number on it. The earth is constantly changing and land is being eroded from nearly every country in the world. If only 0.0000000001% of the land was changed sum how, then that "28.888888888888888888888888889% " would be "28.8888888891111111111111111111 11" changing the entire sum of "13/45*100".It would be like having the world “land” thirteen times and then a random letter “L”.

This is merely coincidence but I do like the word comparisons.

Check the Math if you want to.

.[/QUOTE]
    For starters the Islamic religion is a contradictory religion

gime 1 example where islam is what u say it is in ur statement. it never contradicts only gives exceptions, i.e. killing is a sin with the exception of self defence.

.[/QUOTE]
    if "woman are equal to men" why do they have to wear head scarf’s and men do not?

because unfortuantely, they are much preety then men, and they are much vulnerable to attack then men. i.e. if a man sees a half naked women on the street it is possible they he takes advantage of her and rapes her, were as if a women finds a man attract, it is very unlikey that she attacks the man and rapes him. so a head scraf is a self defence for a man's desire over women.

.[/QUOTE]
    Why are men allowed to have intercourse with other woman and Islamic woman are not etc?

where the hell do u learn that from mate. it is a sin for a muslims (male or female) to commit fornication (sex b4 marriage) or adualtery (an affair).

.[/QUOTE]
    There is no equality within the Islamic faith, woman are repressed and that is the fact of the matter therefore woman are not equal to men.

no equality mate, islam is the only religion to give the women her prestige rights mate. take a look at the prophet hadith 'the heaven lays beneath the feet of the mothers' (i.e. be obiedent to your mother and heaven will be made easier to go to) can women have any more prestige then that. a women in islam is entitled to do most of the things a man does, so where you have gathered the information i have no idea. sorry actually i do...the medai!!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)
    Could he throw himself a surprise birthday party?
    What a great image, that'll cheer me up all day
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maximusmak)
    For starters the Islamic religion is a contradictory religion

gime 1 example where islam is what u say it is in ur statement. it never contradicts only gives exceptions, i.e. killing is a sin with the exception of self defence.
    ...or blasphemy or adultery or apostasy or if they are polytheists who refuse to convert or...
    if "woman are equal to men" why do they have to wear head scarf’s and men do not?

because unfortuantely, they are much preety then men, and they are much vulnerable to attack then men. i.e. if a man sees a half naked women on the street it is possible they he takes advantage of her and rapes her, were as if a women finds a man attract, it is very unlikey that she attacks the man and rapes him. so a head scraf is a self defence for a man's desire over women.
    The obvious solution is that men have to wear ankle chains and loud bells, so have women have prior notice of the approach of these depraved uncontrollable and insatiable creatures. In fact, if men are really so strongly governed by their hormones, not just once a month, as women allegedly are, but continuously, then surely men should not be allowed to make any decisions on their own.

Why are men allowed to have intercourse with other woman and Islamic woman are not etc?

where the hell do u learn that from mate. it is a sin for a muslims (male or female) to commit fornication (sex b4 marriage) or adualtery (an affair).
    You forget, or if women are slaves of their right hand of muslim men. It is quite legal then.

There is no equality within the Islamic faith, woman are repressed and that is the fact of the matter therefore woman are not equal to men.

no equality mate, islam is the only religion to give the women her prestige rights mate. take a look at the prophet hadith 'the heaven lays beneath the feet of the mothers' (i.e. be obiedent to your mother and heaven will be made easier to go to) can women have any more prestige then that. a women in islam is entitled to do most of the things a man does, so where you have gathered the information i have no idea. sorry actually i do...the medai!!!
    Women, all women, it is said in the koran, are inferior to men intellectually and physically and unclean during menstruation. They are also alleged to be inferior in strength to all men. They receive less in bequests from their parents and must obey their husbands who may, if need be, whip them- in moderation of course.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Treatment of Cataract from the Qur'an

One of the Swiss pharmaceutical companies has started producing a new medicine
    called "Medicine of Quran" which allows the treatment of cataract without surgery. As the newspaper Ar-Raya, published in Qatar writes, "this drug which was synthesised by an Egyptian doctor Abdul Basit Muhammad from the secretions of human sweat glands and has an effectiveness of 99 per cent with absolutely no side effects, was registered in Europe and the United States. It is also reported that one of the Swiss companies produces the new drug in the form of liquid and eye drops.

The source of inspiration is Surah(chapter) Yusuf. Dr Abdul Basit Muhammad emphasised that he obtained his inspiration from Surah Yusuf and said:

"Once in the morning, I was reading Surah(chapter) Yusuf. My attention lingered over the 84th and successive ayats/verses).
    " Go with this shirt of mine, and cast it over the face of my father, he will become clear-sighted, and bring to me all your family" (Qur'an 12:93)

They tell that Prophet Yakub who was mourning his son Yusuf (peace be upon them)
    in sadness and grief got his eyes turned white and later when people cast over the sorrowful father's face, the shirt of his son Yusuf, vision returned to him and he was able to see again. Here I started pondering. What could be there in the shirt of Yusuf? Finally I arrived at the decision that nothing except sweat could be on it. I concentrated my thoughts over the sweat and its composition. Then I proceeded to the laboratory for research.

I carried out a series of experiments on rabbits. The results turned out to be positive. Later I performed treatment on 250 patients by administering the drug twice a day for two weeks. Finally I achieved 99 per cent success and said to myself:
    "This is the miracle of the Quran" Dr Abdul Basit Muhammad presented the results of his research to appropriate institutions in Europe and the United States dealing with patenting of new discoveries for consideration. After tests and research were performed, he finalised a contract with a Swiss company on the production of the medicine on the condition that the package should clearly mention- "Medicine of Quran."

In the words of the Egyptian scientist, the company accepted his condition and started producing the new drug. (Courtesy-Ar-Raya,Qatar) Allah Ta'ala says in the Qur'an-e-Kareem:

"We send down from the Qur'an that which is a healingand mercy to those who
    believe." (QURAAN 17:82).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    ...or blasphemy or adultery or apostasy or if they are polytheists who refuse to convert or...

dont understand u mate

. The obvious solution is that men have to wear ankle chains and loud bells, so have women have prior notice of the approach of these depraved uncontrollable and insatiable creatures. In fact, if men are really so strongly governed by their hormones, not just once a month, as women allegedly are, but continuously, then surely men should not be allowed to make any decisions on their own.

ur losin track mate, not quite makin any sense, goin against the logic. its a mans duty to hold his desire in, and its a womens duty to to provoke a man in doin jus that

You forget, or if women are slaves of their right hand of muslim men. It is quite legal then.

well in that case yes, true. however, women cant do that because they will suffer a great deal if they do have sex wiv der slaves aand get pregnant. they will be cursed, looked down upon and digusted, unlike men. its tradition, not religion

. Women, all women, it is said in the koran, are inferior to men intellectually and physically and unclean during menstruation. They are also alleged to be inferior in strength to all men. They receive less in bequests from their parents and must obey their husbands who may, if need be, whip them- in moderation of course.
    gime one verse that says women are inferor to men????????
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    gime one verse that says women are inferor to men????????
    Sura 4:34.
    No other questions, Maxie?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    Sura 4:34.
    No other questions, Maxie?
    state the verse mate, say it out so i no what you chatin about.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    state the verse mate, say it out so i no what you chatin about.
    You can't count as far as 4:34 and see it in your koran, Maxie?

INTERIORITY:
    Surely god is very fond oif shellfish and doesn't want us to cruelly eat them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by interiority)
    Not according to the Bible, he isn't.... Check out the link!
    You are assuming god gave that advice for humans' benefit: who or what benefits if we're told not to eat shellfish, if not the shellfish?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    But he calls them an abomination... Is God playing mind games?
    Well, it woudn't work very well if god said "Look, they're delicious and have aphrodisiac powers and you've got to stay away from them." Would it?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So God is actually trying to help the shrimp by tricking us? Clever God. But does that mean God lies? And why does he like shrimp so much more than fish with fins?
    De gustibus non est disputandum.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    lol, this thread is supposed to be about the existence of God... not shrimp.
Updated: May 15, 2004
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.