The Student Room Group

Axe the bedroom tax! Poll

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
question should be why force it on someone who wants to downsize but can not move because lack of single flats for example .
Reply 41
Original post by Futility
It has been projected, by the government that implemented it, to reduce the cost of housing benefit by £500 million (a figure that has already been revised from an initial projected saving of £930 million), but this doesn't take into account the associated costs with doing so.

I'm afraid that's an entirely false claim. The £500 million figure certainly does take associated costs into account - for example, the extra invested into the discretionary housing payments fund.

You make the point that the £930 million figure has been revised. That was, if you check the impact assessment your Factcheck blog links to, a 2 year figure. The revision has actually increased the saving to over £1bn over the two year period.

Numerous housing associations and charities have warned that, after the cost of implementation, it may actually end up costing rather than saving money. They point to factors such as the already existing shortage of smaller social housing, that will be exacerbated by this policy, which will inevitably result in more people being forced to rent privately. The private industry has higher rates of rent, meaning people will be entitled to more of other forms of welfare. Moreover, one must factor in the legal costs of evicting social housing tenants who can no longer pay their rent, the cost of adapting houses for disabled people forced to relocate to smaller houses etc etc. The DWP has itself said "the total amounts that will be spent on implementation of the policy are still being determined as part of the process of assessing what the new burdens will be on local authorities."

A complete red herring. There are indeed a shortage of one bedroom properties insofar as there is a shortage of social housing - always has been, and always will be. There are 2 million people on the waiting list. The reason is quite simple: if you offer housing to people at below-market rents, there will always be a demand to outstrip supply.

Even if - and I by no means think this will be a considerable number - some people feel they have to downsize into the private sector, their position will be taken up by people moving into their social housing space. There is no way in which a scheme which encourages more efficient use of social housing - as this does - will somehow leave less people in social housing. If you want an idea of why so many people on housing benefit are renting privately, the obvious thing to look at may well be those thousands upon thousands of spare bedrooms in the social housing sector!

As for disabled people in significantly adapted accommodation, there is no reason they would have to more. They are a priority group for discretionary housing payments, which make up the shortfall in their rent. No one, be it the UK Government, local authorities or social landlords have any financial motivation for having such people move and have new homes re-adapted. The idea is ridiculous.
Original post by Bath House
BEST POLICY EVAR!!! fuk da scroungers!!!!!!!!

What do you do for a living then?
Reply 43
Original post by wookierookie
what do you do for a living then?

my dad works for llyods, i dont work atm, i failed al levels n im just at home
Original post by Bath House
my dad works for llyods, i dont work atm, i failed al levels n im just at home

Therefore you are a scrounger too, just a fortunate one for having a dad who is looking after you. Are you restarting college?
Reply 45
Wouldn't they solve all the issues by only applying the 'tax' when the occupants refused to move into a smaller house? That way you avoid the problem of people not actually being able to find anywhere smaller.
Original post by james22
Wouldn't they solve all the issues by only applying the 'tax' when the occupants refused to move into a smaller house? That way you avoid the problem of people not actually being able to find anywhere smaller.

I think that would be more palatable.

But then again, it doesn't quite deliver the same blow to social housing tenants...
I don't see what the big deal over the bedroom tax is.

As far as I am aware you have to be in receipt of benefits for it to affect you, so therefore the house you are being bedroom 'taxed' on is free to you.
Now we require more housing as the council housing stock is dwindling and some people have spare rooms whilst some people require rooms.
If you DON'T work and get a FREE house which has TOO MANY rooms in it which could be used by a family who require them, you should either leave and go to smaller property or pay for it so its not all free.

OR .... and its a big or.

Go and get a job then you will pay your council rent and not be taxed on any spare room, as the place you reside in is no longer paid for by someone else/
Reply 48
Original post by L i b
I'm afraid that's an entirely false claim. The £500 million figure certainly does take associated costs into account - for example, the extra invested into the discretionary housing payments fund.

No it isn't. The £500m figure certainly does not account for all of the costs of implementing the policy. But you don't need to take my word for it, allow me, once again, to refer you to the statement from the Department of Work and Pensions:

"the total amounts that will be spent on implementation of the policy are still being determined as part of the process of assessing what the new burdens will be on local authorities."

Original post by L i b
A complete red herring. There are indeed a shortage of one bedroom properties insofar as there is a shortage of social housing - always has been, and always will be. There are 2 million people on the waiting list. The reason is quite simple: if you offer housing to people at below-market rents, there will always be a demand to outstrip supply.

Even if - and I by no means think this will be a considerable number - some people feel they have to downsize into the private sector, their position will be taken up by people moving into their social housing space. There is no way in which a scheme which encourages more efficient use of social housing - as this does - will somehow leave less people in social housing. If you want an idea of why so many people on housing benefit are renting privately, the obvious thing to look at may well be those thousands upon thousands of spare bedrooms in the social housing sector!.

It is lamentable that you should counter what you (falsely) allege to be a red herring, with blatant one of your own. Yes, there is a shortage of all social housing, but the issue is of particular concern when it comes to one bedroom properties. According to the figures from the National Housing Federation, 180,000 people are under-occupying two bedroom social housing properties, but there are only 70,000 one bedroom social housing properties available. You don't need to be a Marcus Du Sautoy to work out that this will leave 110,000 people with no option but to move from their social housing into the private rental market.

I agree with you when you say the policy will not leave less people in social housing, and I have never made claims to the contrary. As you say, the people forced into the private rental market by the bedroom tax will be replaced by those people currently on waiting lists. But what you seem to falsely assume is that the people on these waiting lists are all currently privately renting, which of course, they aren't. Many are living in sheltered or shared accommodation, or temporarily living with friends or relatives. Thus, as a result of the policy, the overall number of people renting privately will increase, and as private rates of rent are higher than social housing rents, other forms of welfare payments will rise.

Original post by L i b
As for disabled people in significantly adapted accommodation, there is no reason they would have to more. They are a priority group for discretionary housing payments, which make up the shortfall in their rent. No one, be it the UK Government, local authorities or social landlords have any financial motivation for having such people move and have new homes re-adapted. The idea is ridiculous.

And yet numerous housing associations and charities have expressed severe concerns about the effect of the bedroom tax on disabled people. Perhaps this has something to do with the fact that discretionary housing payments, as the name infers, are discretionary, considered on a case by case basis, and are by no means guaranteed. Or maybe it's because there is a limited annual fund for discretionary housing payments, and the payments weren't designed as a long term replacement for the 14% of housing benefit payments withdrawn from tens of thousands of 'over-occupying' disabled people. Or perhaps, finally, it's because there have already been cases of disabled people being evicted from their homes as a direct result of the introduction of the bedroom tax. Take your pick.
Original post by I Hope your okay
There has been a lot of talk about axing the bedroom tax, yay :excited:

It doesn't affect me personally as I currently live with my Mum in a private rented house but we are considering moving and if we move into a council house then we could have to pay bedroom tax so hopefully the tax gets abolished!

So shall we axe the bedroom tax and do your parents pay any and how much is it if they do?

No you won't. There is no bedroom tax. For it to be a tax, the government would have to remove a portion of money you have earned. This is the reduction of the amount it is giving you.

A tax takes what was yours and gives it to others. What you're describing is the reduction of ability of some people to take money from the rest of society.
Reply 50
Original post by mstone12
question should be why force it on someone who wants to downsize but can not move because lack of single flats for example .

If there's a lack of single flats then the official government advise is to get a lodger. This is a perfectly reasonable solution and helps to reduce the problem of single people not being able to find social housing.

I personally live in a (private) flat share because its cheaper and I would struggle to afford to have a place to myself - so do millions of others. I would expect someone who is receiving taxpayers money to not be automatically entitled to the luxury of having accommodation with spare rooms especially when social housing is in short supply.

The problem is that so many people affected by the bedroom tax simply refuse to take in lodgers. Sadly got to the stage in our society where many people think social housing is simply a way to get the government to pay for a house for life rather than use it as a temporary accommodation until you can afford to buy/rent your own privately. E.g. look at this sob story:

http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/Grandmother-claims-bedroom-tax-driven-brink/story-19784996-detail/story.html#axzz2fqM0cazc

Grandmother Carly Jensen, 50, has just £9 a week left to live on after settling her utility bills and the £30 per week rent contributions she now has to pay for living in a three-bedroom property.

“This is my home and I don’t want to go. They told me I should take in some lodgers to use the other bedrooms, but why would I want strangers in my home?

Perfect example, she lives in a 3 bed house by herself yet she absolutely does not want the inconvenience of lodgers using those spare rooms. She refers to it as 'her home' despite the council owning it and is clearly thinks that the government somehow owe her a house.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 51
No it isn't. The £500m figure certainly does not account for all of the costs of implementing the policy. But you don't need to take my word for it, allow me, once again, to refer you to the statement from the Department of Work and Pensions:

"the total amounts that will be spent on implementation of the policy are still being determined as part of the process of assessing what the new burdens will be on local authorities."

That's true of all cost projections (as oppose to actual spending), but ultimately costs to local authorities - if indeed there are any at all - do not form part of the government's cost projections. What you said was incorrect however, suggesting it didn't include any of the costs. In fact, the £930m figure included literally hundreds of millions of pounds in DHP payments.

It is lamentable that you should counter what you (falsely) allege to be a red herring, with blatant one of your own. Yes, there is a shortage of all social housing, but the issue is of particular concern when it comes to one bedroom properties. According to the figures from the National Housing Federation, 180,000 people are under-occupying two bedroom social housing properties, but there are only 70,000 one bedroom social housing properties available. You don't need to be a Marcus Du Sautoy to work out that this will leave 110,000 people with no option but to move from their social housing into the private rental market.

Also a red herring. DWP projections have shown that a good number of people will prefer to stay where they are and pay the extra. There are people in social housing on housing benefit who can perfectly realistically afford the excess and want to pay it - not to mention those who will choose to share, take money from adult children in a household or whatever else.

Many are living in sheltered or shared accommodation, or temporarily living with friends or relatives.

I take the point, but of course most shared accommodation will be privately rented for a start.

And yet numerous housing associations and charities have expressed severe concerns about the effect of the bedroom tax on disabled people. Perhaps this has something to do with the fact that discretionary housing payments, as the name infers, are discretionary, considered on a case by case basis, and are by no means guaranteed. Or maybe it's because there is a limited annual fund for discretionary housing payments, and the payments weren't designed as a long term replacement for the 14% of housing benefit payments withdrawn from tens of thousands of 'over-occupying' disabled people.

There is a limited fund, but there is no suggestion it is unsatisfactory for the job - and even if it was, local authorities can top it up two and a half times. Which is obviously financially prudent if the alternative is adapting a new property.

They are discretionary - yes - and the government is right to monitor that. But I for one fully support that approach. It was taken for a very good reason: that DHPs can be given out on a personalised assessment of need. The alternative is producing screeds of regulation, possibly with ATOS-type assessments, which would, I imagine, entirely fail to cover all possible circumstances where a DHP payment is reasonable. As you'd expect, the government is closely monitoring how this money is used and, should it not be spent effectively, the local authorities will inevitably get it in the neck.

For all the press coverage - and I do monitor it - I've yet to see an actual case of someone who should be entitled to DHPs not getting them. One would expect such circumstances would come to light quickly if they were happening.

Or perhaps, finally, it's because there have already been cases of disabled people being evicted from their homes as a direct result of the introduction of the bedroom tax. Take your pick.

The Daily Record, unfortunately, is rarely accurate on these things.

North Lanarkshire Council have since pointed out they are not evicting her, merely that they said they could in a letter. The leader of the council - who this woman doorstepped with journalists and a videocamera in tow, pointed out that she has also refused to apply for DHPs. Which isn't their fault at all. North Lanarkshire has, in fact, topped up its DHP fund well beyond the initial government investment - for whatever reason.

To quote a statement from NLC--

“We have offered every tenant potentially affected by the bedroom tax an opportunity to have a visit or advice by phone.

“The tenant in question has consistently refused to fully engage with us and has repeatedly refused to apply for a discretionary housing payment which may help to alleviate her situation."

She is still in the same home today.
Reply 52
Nay
Original post by nimrodstower
whose right wing political views would allow people to become homeless and children to starve.

Lets do a Labour party and give them all houses in Westminster and 40 inch plasma TVs.....
Reply 54
Original post by meenu89
A sensible point , unfortunately OP wouldn't understand.

But the end result is the exact same as if it were a tax. You receive a reduction in benefit because of an additional room on your house. How is that any different to not reducing the amount of benefit a person would receive and instead charging them the exact same amount?

It's a clever tax, but to me, it is a tax. The additional room in your house would cost you money.

It's actually like income tax, where money is taken away from your wages, but in this case it's taken away from your benefit.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 55
Original post by pandabird
But the end result is the exact same as if it were a tax. You receive a reduction in benefit because of an additional room on your house. How is that much different to not reducing the amount of benefit a person would receive and instead charging them the exact same amount?

It is reduction a in Subsidy. You have a room which you're not using, the Government shouldn't give you anything for it.

It's a clever tax, but to me, it is a tax. The additional room in your house would cost you money.

The Government are paying for the 'additional room in your house'.

It's actually like income tax, where money is taken away from your wages, but in this case it's taken away from your benefit.

It is not anything like income tax. But to give you credit, you used the word 'benefit'.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by L i b
That's true of all cost projections (as oppose to actual spending), but ultimately costs to local authorities - if indeed there are any at all - do not form part of the government's cost projections. What you said was incorrect however, suggesting it didn't include any of the costs. In fact, the £930m figure included literally hundreds of millions of pounds in DHP payments.

What I said was that once all of the associated costs for implementing the policy (including those not included in the projection) are taken into account, the policy may not end up saving the taxpayer any money. Since the DWP are yet to determine what they believe the overall cost to local authorities will be, neither you nor the government can credibly refute the claims made by various housing associations that the costs will be very substantial.

Original post by L i b
Also a red herring. DWP projections have shown that a good number of people will prefer to stay where they are and pay the extra. There are people in social housing on housing benefit who can perfectly realistically afford the excess and want to pay it - not to mention those who will choose to share, take money from adult children in a household or whatever else.

Then why do the figures provided by 114 local authorities across Britain, revealed after a Freedom of Information request by campaign group False Economy, show that only a few months after the introduction of the policy, more than 50,000 people affected by it have fallen behind on rent and face eviction? Furthermore, why does research by the National Housing Association suggest that another 30,000 people living in housing association properties have fallen behind on rent payments since the 'bedroom tax' came into effect?

The reality is that most people who live in social housing cannot afford to lose 14% of their housing benefit, and they will therefore, whether they want to or not, be forced to move as a result of losing that money. As I said before, the fact that there are far fewer one bedroom social housing properties available than there are people under-occupying two bedroom social housing properties, means that people will be forced into the private rental market, will incur higher rents, and will thus be entitled to more welfare.

In any case, even if all of the figures I've outlined turned out to be erroneous, and your claim that many social housing tenants "can afford the excess and want to pay it" was true, that would defeat the claimed purpose of the policy i.e. to deal with the issue of under-occupancy of social housing. If most social housing tenants are just going to simply stay were they are, then the policy is ineffective in achieving what it was designed to and should be scrapped on that basis.

Original post by L i b
There is a limited fund, but there is no suggestion it is unsatisfactory for the job - and even if it was, local authorities can top it up two and a half times. Which is obviously financially prudent if the alternative is adapting a new property.

They are discretionary - yes - and the government is right to monitor that. But I for one fully support that approach. It was taken for a very good reason: that DHPs can be given out on a personalised assessment of need. The alternative is producing screeds of regulation, possibly with ATOS-type assessments, which would, I imagine, entirely fail to cover all possible circumstances where a DHP payment is reasonable. As you'd expect, the government is closely monitoring how this money is used and, should it not be spent effectively, the local authorities will inevitably get it in the neck.

It's patently obvious that discretionary housing payments are unsatisfactory for the job; the allocated budget for the payments does not come close to being adequate to replace the withdrawal of 14%-25% of housing benefit from tens of thousands of social tenants. Moreover, it is stated on the government info page that once the discretionary housing payments budget has been allocated in full, all further requests within that year will be turned down. In addition, payments are made for a limited time only (a maximum of 6 months) and although repeat applications can be made, applicants "will be expected to take steps to improve the circumstances that have led to your need for a discretionary housing payment, for example, finding more affordable accommodation." It is very clear from the phrasing of their description that discretionary housing payments are designed as a short-term emergency fund, not as a long-term replacement for withdrawn housing benefit.

http://www.nihe.gov.uk/index/benefits/housingbenefit/discretionary_housing_payments.htm

Original post by L i b
For all the press coverage - and I do monitor it - I've yet to see an actual case of someone who should be entitled to DHPs not getting them. .

"A survey of 24 councils published today by the disability charity Papworth Trust reveals three in 10 disabled people affected by the bedroom tax have been refused discretionary housing payments".

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/care/disabled-benefit-claimants-forced-to-cut-food-bills/6527698.article

Original post by L i b
The Daily Record, unfortunately, is rarely accurate on these things.

North Lanarkshire Council have since pointed out they are not evicting her, merely that they said they could in a letter. The leader of the council - who this woman doorstepped with journalists and a videocamera in tow, pointed out that she has also refused to apply for DHPs. Which isn't their fault at all. North Lanarkshire has, in fact, topped up its DHP fund well beyond the initial government investment - for whatever reason.

To quote a statement from NLC--

“We have offered every tenant potentially affected by the bedroom tax an opportunity to have a visit or advice by phone.

“The tenant in question has consistently refused to fully engage with us and has repeatedly refused to apply for a discretionary housing payment which may help to alleviate her situation."

She is still in the same home today.

The story was widely reported by various sources, so if you doubt the Daily Record's credibility maybe you could read one of the others? This one perhaps.

You haven't sourced any of your quotes, but I'm somewhat sceptical about the claims made in your them; why on earth would she "refuse to apply for DHPs", what exactly would her motive be for doing so?

In any case, as I've highlighted above, 30% of the applications for DHPs made by disabled people in 24 councils across the UK have been rejected, so if they haven't been already, it's only a matter of time before a disabled person is evicted from their home. According to the same survey (Papworth Trust survey), disabled people are already having to cut back on essentials such as food. Here is a story about such a case. And it's not just the disabled people put at risk by the policy, but their carers too.
Reply 57
What I said was that once all of the associated costs for implementing the policy (including those not included in the projection) are taken into account, the policy may not end up saving the taxpayer any money. Since the DWP are yet to determine what they believe the overall cost to local authorities will be, neither you nor the government can credibly refute the claims made by various housing associations that the costs will be very substantial.

Actually, you said the sum - which you confused as a once year decrease in savings rather than a two year increase - didn't include costs. At all. It does, extensively. It is a projection however - no projection ahead of the fact can take into account the full outturn.

The DWP have projected these costs, so they can indeed credibly refute the claim that they will be substantial - and indeed they do. They say that the policy will save £1 billion over the next two years.

Then why do the figures provided by 114 local authorities across Britain, revealed after a Freedom of Information request by campaign group False Economy, show that only a few months after the introduction of the policy, more than 50,000 people affected by it have fallen behind on rent and face eviction? Furthermore, why does research by the National Housing Association suggest that another 30,000 people living in housing association properties have fallen behind on rent payments since the 'bedroom tax' came into effect?

The reality is that most people who live in social housing cannot afford to lose 14% of their housing benefit, and they will therefore, whether they want to or not, be forced to move as a result. As I've previously highlighted, since there are far fewer one bedroom social housing properties available than there are people under-occupying two bedroom social housing properties, these people will be forced into the private rental market, will incur higher rents, and thus be entitled to more welfare.

In any case, even if all of the figures I've outlined turned out to be erroneous, and your claim that many social housing tenants "can afford the excess and want to pay it" was true, that would defeat the claimed purpose of the policy i.e. to deal with the issue of under-occupancy of social housing. If most social housing tenants are just going to simply stay were they are, then the policy is ineffective in achieving what it was designed to and should be scrapped on that basis.

I've already outlined why your commentary on one-bedroom property numbers does not remotely reflect the real situation in terms of housing supply.

Some people have fallen into arrears. Many of them are not used to paying any rent at all - so an increase in arrears is to be expected. You seem to argue against people being able to pay the shortfall in their rent to stay in their current house - I have no problem with that. They provide the government with much-needed revenue in exchange for a privilege.

It's patently obvious that discretionary housing payments are unsatisfactory for the job; the allocated budget for the payments does not come close to being adequate to replace the withdrawal of 14%-25% of housing benefit from tens of thousands of social tenants. Moreover, it is stated on the government info page that once the discretionary housing payments budget has been allocated in full, all further requests within that year will be turned down. In addition, payments are made for a limited time only (a maximum of 6 months) and although repeat applications can be made, applicants "will be expected to take steps to improve the circumstances that have led to your need for a discretionary housing payment, for example, finding more affordable accommodation." It is very clear from the phrasing of their description that discretionary housing payments are designed as a short-term emergency fund, not as a long-term replacement for withdrawn housing benefit.

http://www.nihe.gov.uk/index/benefits/housingbenefit/discretionary_housing_payments.htm

You quote in support of your view the Northern Ireland Housing Executive - a place with a separate and distinct welfare system from Great Britain, and one where underoccupancy charges haven't even been introduced!

You also quote them entirely out of context. Your "will be expected to take steps to improve the circumstances that have led to your need for a discretionary housing payment, for example, finding more affordable accommodation" is, of course, prefixed with "wherever it is possible and reasonable to do so". You've quite clearly tried to mislead there.

Local authorities can make DHP payments for however long they want and the government advises flexibility in this measure. What the Northern Ireland Housing Executive - who don't even have this issue - say is immaterial.

"A survey of 24 councils published today by the disability charity Papworth Trust reveals three in 10 disabled people affected by the bedroom tax have been refused discretionary housing payments".

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/care/disabled-benefit-claimants-forced-to-cut-food-bills/6527698.article

The story was widely reported by various sources, so if you doubt the Daily Record's credibility maybe you could read one of the others? This one perhaps.

You haven't sourced any of your quotes, but I'm somewhat sceptical about the claims made in your them; why on earth would she "refuse to apply for DHPs", what exactly would her motive be for doing so?

In any case, as I've highlighted above, 30% of the applications for DHPs made by disabled people in 24 councils across the UK have been rejected, so if they haven't already, it's only a matter of time before a disabled person is evicted from their home. According to the same survey (Papworth Trust survey), disabled people are already having to cut back on essentials such as food. Here is a story about such a case. And it''s not just the disabled people put at risk by the policy, but their carers too.

And now we're on to questioning my perfectly well attributed quotes. Indeed, a quote that was published in your beloved Daily Record here .

Why did she behave in this unreasonable manner? That is entirely for you to decide. Perhaps you could consider her contact with far-left organisations and the stunt she pulled outside the council leader's home with journalists and a video camera for a start. Either way, she's not remotely bona fide.

I suggested I had never heard of a case where an extra bedroom was not covered by DHPs where someone needed it. You've come back telling me some disabled people were refused DHPs. So what? Just because you've got a disability - and in terms of the Equalities Act that covers everything from dyslexia upwards - doesn't mean you're entitled to a spare bedroom. That much should be obvious.
It's a tax.
Reply 59
Original post by Lord Frieza
It's a tax.

It's not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending