The Student Room Group

History of Art entry 2014

Scroll to see replies

Ahh I just got an offer from Manchester!! ABB
Has anyone who has applied to the Courtauld heard anything back from them? I know it's early days but all of the other universities I've applied to have sent some form of acknowledgement regarding my application. :smile:
Original post by christine123
I FINALLY sent mine off today! Cut it a bit too close but it's a massive weight off my shoulders, sooo happy!:biggrin:

Good luck! :biggrin:
Have you received your SAQ yet?
Original post by SophieGloria
Has anyone who has applied to the Courtauld heard anything back from them? I know it's early days but all of the other universities I've applied to have sent some form of acknowledgement regarding my application. :smile:

i'm afraid I didn't apply there but I wouldn't worry about it, I Manchester didn't contact me until they made me an offer :L
Reply 24
Hi, I'm considering going to study History Of Art, is it as generally well-respected as a traditional History degree?
Reply 25
Original post by Emma224
I'm relieved to hear that someone else has a complicated situation! I took four AS' and then dropped one and picked up History of Art AS at the beginning of Upper Sixth. I'm now on a gap year and finishing the A2 this year.
I have gallery experience as well :smile:

Have you sent off your application yet?

Don't blame you for wanting to finish it, I am so glad I got the opportunity to do HoA A level! Yes, application went off 30th September.. still heard nothing and it's killing me! What about you? and what unis?
Reply 26
Original post by selena1
ro123, the only problem is that the unis might look at your as and judge them in relation to what you're being predicted. but if your teachers have faith in you then you can do it because they're good at judging what people are capable of. also, even though ive applied to 3 Scottish unis im getting a bit edgy about it because people keep saying that st Andrews is boring and although I don't think id get bored Bristol is beginning to look increasingly appealing to me. one thing to bear in mind for anyone thinking of Bristol is that the grade requirements are 3 As but the other good unis tend to predict 2 As and a b

I have similar feelings about st andrews, it thrives on its reputation, but not sure I'd actually want to go there (and it's faaaaaar). It's true most great unis want AAB for HoA, completely different to almost every other subject. I've heard they go more on 'passion' and personal statements?
Reply 27
Original post by georgiehewitt03
I don't suppose you've heard from Bristol or Edinburgh? And do you know how much importance Edinburgh place on GCSE's? Bit worried about that :s-smilie:

I've only had acknowledgement emails! Reeeeaaallly want to hear from Edinburgh! Your GCSEs aren't bad, I'm sure you'd be fine. I have better GCSEs but worse predicted grades- I'd rather be in your position:smile: I know oxbridge really care, but haven't heard quite the same of other universities.
Reply 28
Original post by Ignitus7
Hi, I'm considering going to study History Of Art, is it as generally well-respected as a traditional History degree?

I looked in to this quite a bit, having similar thoughts. Overall the subject won regardless because I love it and I'm a great believer (after previously doing the opposite) that doing what you really want to helps in succeeding no end! Just a small point. To be honest, I'd say no. It is not as fail-safe as a history degree. To employers, I'd think it really depends where you study though (anything studied at oxford is well-respected by default). Nevertheless, it is still a well-rounded degree which should develop great writing skills, as discussed below! Hope this helps :smile:

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/options_history_of_art.htm
http://www.theguardian.com/money/2011/apr/30/what-do-degree-art-history
Reply 29
Original post by SophieGloria
Good luck! :biggrin:
Have you received your SAQ yet?

Yesss I need to fill that in tonight, I'm cutting everything so close ahaha! Yourself?
Reply 30
Ahh I just got an offer from Manchester!! ABB

Congrats! Just got mine as well!
Original post by ro13
I looked in to this quite a bit, having similar thoughts. Overall the subject won regardless because I love it and I'm a great believer (after previously doing the opposite) that doing what you really want to helps in succeeding no end! Just a small point. To be honest, I'd say no. It is not as fail-safe as a history degree. To employers, I'd think it really depends where you study though (anything studied at oxford is well-respected by default). Nevertheless, it is still a well-rounded degree which should develop great writing skills, as discussed below! Hope this helps :smile:

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/options_history_of_art.htm
http://www.theguardian.com/money/2011/apr/30/what-do-degree-art-history

I had similar concerns, although I think that if, like me, you maybe want to go into a job with creative/visual aspects, maybe advertising for example, then I think it's a plus. :smile:
Reply 32
ive just started my first year studying history of art and if any of you need any advice on applying or courses feel free to message me.

I was rejected from Oxford (Worcester) but got offers from Bristol, UCL, the Courtauld and Warwick.
Reply 33
Hi

Do you think The Courtauld Institute of Art is a better place to study art history than Oxford or Cambridge?
What's the difference between
The Courtauld Institute of Art and Oxbridge academically?

At t
he Courtauld Institute, the history of art course seems very broad, and there are more course choices than at Oxbridge.

Thanks
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Secessionism
ive just started my first year studying history of art and if any of you need any advice on applying or courses feel free to message me.

I was rejected from Oxford (Worcester) but got offers from Bristol, UCL, the Courtauld and Warwick.

Wow, thanks :smile: Can I ask where you ended up? You had great offers though! Did you do history of art before applying, and if not, how was this dealt with at interview, do you think it mattered at all? And also when did you hear from bristol?
Reply 35

What would you say the Courtauld interview experience was like in comparison to the Oxford one?
Reply 36
Wow, thanks :smile: Can I ask where you ended up? You had great offers though! Did you do history of art before applying, and if not, how was this dealt with at interview, do you think it mattered at all? And also when did you hear from bristol?

I'm at Warwick now which was my first choice.

i studied history of art at a level but many people that I met at interviews had never studied it. Also the majority of people on my course have never studied it but they have an interest in art and visual culture.

i think I got my offer from Bristol around Christmas time, they were the third to get back to me, the Courtauld took the longest ( mid Feb to let me know about the interview!).
Reply 37
Original post by christine123
What would you say the Courtauld interview experience was like in comparison to the Oxford one?

I was rejected before interview so cannot compare them, sorry.

I was was interviewed at UCL and the Courtauld, the Courtauld required you to write a response to two artworks whereas UCL interview made you speak about two artworks.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 38
I'm at Warwick now which was my first choice.

i studied history of art at a level but many people that I met at interviews had never studied it. Also the majority of people on my course have never studied it but they have an interest in art and visual culture.

i think I got my offer from Bristol around Christmas time, they were the third to get back to me, the Courtauld took the longest ( mid Feb to let me know about the interview!).

I didn't study art history before either... Could you tell me if the candidates who never studied it before were also asked to write a response to some artworks?
Reply 39
Original post by ro13
Don't blame you for wanting to finish it, I am so glad I got the opportunity to do HoA A level! Yes, application went off 30th September.. still heard nothing and it's killing me! What about you? and what unis?

I am so glad I was able to pick it up as well, after only a couple of lessons I knew it was the subject that I wanted to study! That sounds rather corny, haha!
I sent mine off last week and I haven't heard anything yet. Although my sixth form have to add my references, so I have no idea when it actually went off to the uni's.
I've applied to the Courtauld, UCL, York, Warwick and Nottingham. Where have you applied?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending