The Student Room Group

feel so disheartened :(

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by mebemaurice
Take this from a 6'5 guy who hasn't stepped foot outside in TWO DAYS!
I'm kind of in the same boat you are. Just been sleeping as opposed to meeting new people and stuff. Roommates are fine but they're all doing their own thing together - I came three days after they got to know each other.
Chilling in my room as everyone is out partying. I'm not about that life - prefer to just stay in and play xbox, and a lot of time it's misunderstood.

Anyway, it's still early. Just try and give it another few weeks. It's like every new place you go to; you're nervous at first but then when you settle in, it's fine. I don't know how I'm still here, but I know it can't get any worse than it currently is. lol haha.... and I still manage to find the funny side in things.

Because back in London, I have many friends so to adjust to knowing nobody is tough, and then being by myself 24/7 even worse.

I'm just hoping a hot girl will knock on my door and ask if she can spend the night in my bed. In my wildest dreams. Hahaaha!

Anyway, don't get worked up about it. Give it some time.

haha i know the feeling-i was at my low point the other day but now-even though i still miss home and still hvent made any more real friends-i feel a little bit better. my room mates have bonded more so together than with me too so i am a bit weary sometimes just because i dont wanna intrude them or make them feel like im a nuisance but they're fine in all honesty-definitely not the worst room mates in the world...
but yeah think i may visit home b4 lectures start and like u said give it some time...i kinda starting to feel like im at the point where im not being as self concious which is deffo a good things as it makes me socially awkward butgot a way to go yet i think lol but yeah good luck to you with your uni experience u seem like a funny guy im sure you'll make friends in no time :smile:
Yeah. I'm heading home tomorrow for three days.. just because it's freshers week and I'm certain that once studies start I'll have a better chance of fitting in. I'm also going home for a few days to sort out traveling cards.. get some shopping done.

Asda and all other supermarkets are sooo far away here where I study so Im gonna stock up until student loan comes and I can do the delivery thing.

I wish you good luck though.
Original post by scrdperson
yeah i think i came here thinking i'd make soo many friends so quickly-even though im more reserved/shy than most people here i wouldn't like to think i'm not completely unsociable or unfriendly! i have met more people over the past few days - my course induction i expected to meet some people but it seemed like most people already had their own little cliques forming! i'm hoping when lectures start it might be a bit better? i hope so...
but yeah i think im going to go to sign up to societies tomorrow too just to try put myself out there more lol. i cant be such a bad person that i cant make any friends right??? i mean i go home early but i've been out every night since i been here! oh and with the parents dilemma im not as sad as i was a few days ago but i would like to see them before my lectures start properly... think im going to go this weekend :smile:

thanks for this advice, its so reassuring to hear similar experiences & feelings! i didn't realize how lonely the beginning of uni could feel but im gonna try be positive and hopefully things will improve :smile:

Yeah there's so much pressure surrounding freshers isn't there! The thing that surprises me is that there are lots of people which have found people to hang out with, so I'm thinking why haven't I? I guess it's because we're more reserved people we don't immediately attract people.. people have to get to know us first. I know what you mean about cliques... everyone is just attaching to each other because they don't know anyone.. and then shy people like us don't want to butt in and intrude in their conversations (whereas i suppose we really shouldn't give a damn... but hey, that's not in my nature.. i'll make friends with people who are open and want to talk to me just as much) I have made an effort to speak to people, but they just wander off with their little group and stuff..

And no, you're not a bad person. :-) when lectures start you'll be sat next to people, have group work to do and just people to talk to in between lectures and stuff so yeah you'll be fine. I'm scared about all the societies now haha as it really involves putting yourself in some awkward situations! I felt lonely too, but I know it will pass! It is SO hard to talk to people when you don't feel invited in to their conversation though! Good on you for being positive.. I know just how hard it is as I'm experiencing the same.. takes a lot of bravery!
Reply 43
Original post by WhamBamJam.
Yeah there's so much pressure surrounding freshers isn't there! The thing that surprises me is that there are lots of people which have found people to hang out with, so I'm thinking why haven't I? I guess it's because we're more reserved people we don't immediately attract people.. people have to get to know us first. I know what you mean about cliques... everyone is just attaching to each other because they don't know anyone.. and then shy people like us don't want to butt in and intrude in their conversations (whereas i suppose we really shouldn't give a damn... but hey, that's not in my nature.. i'll make friends with people who are open and want to talk to me just as much) I have made an effort to speak to people, but they just wander off with their little group and stuff..

And no, you're not a bad person. :-) when lectures start you'll be sat next to people, have group work to do and just people to talk to in between lectures and stuff so yeah you'll be fine. I'm scared about all the societies now haha as it really involves putting yourself in some awkward situations! I felt lonely too, but I know it will pass! It is SO hard to talk to people when you don't feel invited in to their conversation though! Good on you for being positive.. I know just how hard it is as I'm experiencing the same.. takes a lot of bravery!

yeah definitely! i don't feel like i can let go so much around new people-not because they're not nice or anything but i'm much more self concious lol so i feel like i have to hold back a bit before until someone knows me bit better :smile:yeah exactly how i feel!

yeah i hope it goes well really looking forward to meeting some good people on my course too just because i know there is more of a chance we will have things in common! yes not feeling invited is the worst! dont want to butt in then because you just seem rude or strange or something! how are you feeling after a week then? a few day ago writing this i felt really low- now im still not where i want to be but it's slowly (very slowly) getting a bit better i think!
Reply 44
Original post by mebemaurice
Yeah. I'm heading home tomorrow for three days.. just because it's freshers week and I'm certain that once studies start I'll have a better chance of fitting in. I'm also going home for a few days to sort out traveling cards.. get some shopping done.

Asda and all other supermarkets are sooo far away here where I study so Im gonna stock up until student loan comes and I can do the delivery thing.

I wish you good luck though.

sounds like a plan :smile: thank-you, good luck to you also :biggrin:
hi all srry to be a buzzkill but need some serious advice. came to uni Wednesday night this is my 4th day here. i'm just so so sad. my flatmates are ok - but there are 2 'lad' kinda guys and 1 girl but she dosent want to come out and talk (foreign) so basically im only girl (im shy & timid - I have been trying to talk a lot tho). been out 3 nights but last night was just so so dull. really cant be bothered for the clubbing scene EVERY night and the constant alcohol drinking. im thinking of going back home 2night to see my parents because I miss them, I hav woken up crying today because I feel so so lonely. I know everyone says to put yourself out there and I have tried its just not going my way orhow I expected it to be. did anyone feel like this during their freshers? did it get better once the course started? seriously don't know what to expect I feel so disheartened by everything. thanks

I kind of feel the same way as well. I don't know what do because I am making an effort but I still feel so lonely.
yeah definitely! i don't feel like i can let go so much around new people-not because they're not nice or anything but i'm much more self concious lol so i feel like i have to hold back a bit before until someone knows me bit better :smile:yeah exactly how i feel!

yeah i hope it goes well really looking forward to meeting some good people on my course too just because i know there is more of a chance we will have things in common! yes not feeling invited is the worst! dont want to butt in then because you just seem rude or strange or something! how are you feeling after a week then? a few day ago writing this i felt really low- now im still not where i want to be but it's slowly (very slowly) getting a bit better i think!

Yeah I'm feeling the same as you - was really low but it's a bit better now. I'll let you know after this week though haha as lectures are starting and I've got a few social meets and greets, which will either go one way or the other. :tongue:

Original post by feministgrrrl123
I kind of feel the same way as well. I don't know what do because I am making an effort but I still feel so lonely.

Have you joined any societies yet? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
Hi

Homesickness during freshers can feel the absolute pits! It is not an all uncommon experience as you've already found!

Freshers can be tortuous for more introverted people.

Some thoughts:
---Within a few weeks most of the serious partying people will have calmed down a bit-either as they run out of money/bored with it!!

---Freshers is a bit like the emperors new clothes - it can be fun for a few people - many people just tolerate it!

---people who make 'friends' during freshers often spend the next few months trying to avoid them when they find out sans alcohol they don't really 'gel'.!!

By the end of the first week of lectures you'll have a whole load of new people to choose from!

Good luck!

It will change when term starts proper-you will meet all sorts of new people!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Reply 48
Original post by WhamBamJam.
Yeah I'm feeling the same as you - was really low but it's a bit better now. I'll let you know after this week though haha as lectures are starting and I've got a few social meets and greets, which will either go one way or the other. :tongue:

Have you joined any societies yet? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah - i haven't got round to joining societies yet don't know why just missed the open day! but i can sign up online.. is it bad to sign up after the first or second social? the people on my course aren't seeming as interested in getting to know others as much as i thought but its early days i guess! im worried whether or not to sgn up to a couple societies online if i'll be the odd one out

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending