The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Unit 3 (Contested Planet) Discussions :)

Scroll to see replies

Hey, have any of you guys thought of any potential questions based on the booklet?
Original post by JackTheNerd
Hey, have any of you guys thought of any potential questions based on the booklet?

Have a look back on the previous pages, people have been suggesting teacher predictions on possible questions :smile:
how you guys on the compulsory topic- bridging the development gap!
What is everyone's opinions with the views on the last page?
And how are you using the suggested websites?
Reply 404
Original post by CrazyBookLover
What is everyone's opinions with the views on the last page?
And how are you using the suggested websites?

The poorly managed quote is certainly quite interesting: more or less blames the military dictators that used to run places.
I've used the EAC site to gather a bit more information really... Like the fact that Sudan applied to join and was rejected :smile: South Sudan and Somalia both have pending applications, and this may be an extra reason for South Sudan to invest in LAPSSET
Im struggling with the figures.
Figure 4- Tanzania hasnt achieved or partially achieved any of its development goals. I dont understand why as it is making development at a slightly faster pace then uganda.
Uganda as the least developedhas achieved so much, why?
Kenya as the most developed has achieved little in comparison to uganda.

Figure 6?

Figure 8?

Figure 13?

Any help is much appreciated.
Reply 406
Original post by yellowgreencake
Im struggling with the figures.
Figure 6?

Figure 6 shows that all countries rely on fuel imports, which makes them reliant on other countries as well as being vulnerable to changes in the fuel market. It also shows that most exports are raw materials, which often fetch a poor price and (again) are quite vulnerable to market fluctuations :smile:
Original post by AKell17
The poorly managed quote is certainly quite interesting: more or less blames the military dictators that used to run places.
I've used the EAC site to gather a bit more information really... Like the fact that Sudan applied to join and was rejected :smile: South Sudan and Somalia both have pending applications, and this may be an extra reason for South Sudan to invest in LAPSSET

View 5?
I completely agree, the brevity determines bluntness depicting the matter is quite simple.
Corruption and terrorism does come out alot with the views.
Im surprised theres only 3 websites to be honest.
Reply 408
View 5?
I completely agree, the brevity determines bluntness depicting the matter is quite simple.
Corruption and terrorism does come out alot with the views.
Im surprised theres only 3 websites to be honest.

I'm pretty glad, because I reckon that it gives a hint as to what at least one question will be on :smile:
View 1 is quite interesting as well, and almost suggests that the development can never be closed because of how trade is set up
Original post by AKell17
I'm pretty glad, because I reckon that it gives a hint as to what at least one question will be on :smile:
View 1 is quite interesting as well, and almost suggests that the development can never be closed because of how trade is set up

So maybe the idea of internal and external corruption? We can link it to the WTO favouring wealthier economies where we can use Ghana as a parallel example.
Original post by AKell17
Figure 6 shows that all countries rely on fuel imports, which makes them reliant on other countries as well as being vulnerable to changes in the fuel market. It also shows that most exports are raw materials, which often fetch a poor price and (again) are quite vulnerable to market fluctuations :smile:

Thank you :smile:
How about figure 4??
So maybe the idea of internal and external corruption? We can link it to the WTO favouring wealthier economies where we can use Ghana as a parallel example.

what is the example about WTO and Ghana?!
never heard of it.
Original post by periodont
what is the example about WTO and Ghana?!
never heard of it.

Oh are you not familiar?
I am sorry, my own ignorance.
Depicts how contradictory the WTO is and how their policies prohibit the existence of subsidised farmers in Ghana but ironically due to the higher fees the likes of the EU pay to WTO they allow subsidised farmers there. However, Ghanian farmers fail to compete with EU commodities on a world and local market within Ghana.
Check the superpowers section in the Oxford University text book (parrot one).
Oh are you not familiar?
I am sorry, my own ignorance.
Depicts how contradictory the WTO is and how their policies prohibit the existence of subsidised farmers in Ghana but ironically due to the higher fees the likes of the EU pay to WTO they allow subsidised farmers there. However, Ghanian farmers fail to compete with EU commodities on a world and local market within Ghana.
Check the superpowers section in the Oxford University text book (parrot one).

No, I guessed it would be something based on the principals of neo-colonialism etc...

I've never heard of that textbook either- lol!
Original post by periodont
No, I guessed it would be something based on the principals of neo-colonialism etc...

I've never heard of that textbook either- lol!

What? No way!
We use the following simultaneously:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Geography-For-Edexcel-Student-Book/dp/0199134839/ref=pd_sim_b_1/280-7655700-1868734?ie=UTF8&refRID=1Y1D3P2582EXZP63G58J

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-A2-Geography-Sue-Warn/dp/0340949546

The Oxford one is okay (only good for case studies), but the second one is brill!

What do you use?
Reply 415
Original post by yellowgreencake
Thank you :smile:
How about figure 4??

I think with figure 4, its important to consider the starting point for the different countries. For example, Uganda has managed to reduce HIV, fulfilling the MDG, but Figure 3 shows that HIV is still more prevalent there than in the other two countries :smile:
Reply 416
Original post by AKell17

Hey,
It's pretty much my first attempt in looking at these views in great detail so I'm just getting my head around them.
With view 5, you know how Sudan was rejected from the EAC..Would you personally say it's a bias thing that this was the case, since south Sudan and Somalia are pending?
And the fact that south Sudan is pending, does it hint they may be successful and therefore have been encouraged to invest in LAPSSET?

Thank you in advance...btw my teacher suggested that this pre release is quite small in terms of content compared to past years
Reply 417
Original post by ZaraHopeA
Hey,
It's pretty much my first attempt in looking at these views in great detail so I'm just getting my head around them.
With view 5, you know how Sudan was rejected from the EAC..Would you personally say it's a bias thing that this was the case, since south Sudan and Somalia are pending?
And the fact that south Sudan is pending, does it hint they may be successful and therefore have been encouraged to invest in LAPSSET?

Thank you in advance...btw my teacher suggested that this pre release is quite small in terms of content compared to past years

I think Sudan was rejected because of the authoritarian regime that Gadaffi has going on... South Sudan only came into being after he was overthrown and is more stable politically. The EAC site has a few criteria for countries set out on the website:
i) acceptance of the Community as set out in the Treaty;
ii) adherence to universally acceptable principles of good governance, democracy, the rule of law, observance of human rights and social justice;
iii) potential contribution to the strengthening of integration within the East African region;
iv) geographical proximity to and inter-dependence between it (the foreign country) and the EAC Partner States;
v) establishment and maintenance of a market driven economy; and
vi) social and economic policies being compatible with those of the Community

South Sudan's investment in LAPSSET makes sense as it will benefit them, but it may also be a chance to 'butter up' the EAC countries a little as it has a pending application :smile:
Reply 418
Original post by AKell17
I think Sudan was rejected because of the authoritarian regime that Gadaffi has going on... South Sudan only came into being after he was overthrown and is more stable politically. The EAC site has a few criteria for countries set out on the website:

South Sudan's investment in LAPSSET makes sense as it will benefit them, but it may also be a chance to 'butter up' the EAC countries a little as it has a pending application :smile:

Ahh honestly thank you so much, you are beyond helpful. God bless you. Although In terms of the ghaddafi issue that's quite new to me so I'm guessing I need to go on the website and read.
Reply 419
Original post by ZaraHopeA
Ahh honestly thank you so much, you are beyond helpful. God bless you. Although In terms of the ghaddafi issue that's quite new to me so I'm guessing I need to go on the website and read.

I'm sure a quick whip round South Sudan's wiki page will give a basic grounding :smile: I think its the newest country in the world...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending