The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Unit 3 (Contested Planet) Discussions :)

Hi Guys :smile:

So I though maybe I should start a thread to discuss A2 Unit 3 Module. Am currently doing water conflicts and will be hopefully finished with this section next week.

How you finding it so far? I kind of think its okay?! I guess? But I do feel A2 is hard :frown::frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
ive just done this exam last year and got an A, after a lot of struggles at the start.
Can happily help?
Reply 2
Omg that so great. Have you got any tips? How hard is it? Because am getting scared of the content as its soo much. I got an A at AS and looking at the unit 3 paper the questions are similar to the AS papers; like markwise but are they different?
Reply 3
when do you take the exam? are you going to learn all 6 topics?

I mean this exam is difficult, as the each topic has a lot of content, and you need a lot of case studies: small ones are best because you can use them is many situations.
Also try making mind maps, for each of the 3 mini sections of each topic, and record yourself. You can listen through them throughout the year, so you will be able to memorise all the conetnt
But the best way to do well in the exam, is to keep doing past papers.

They mark it quite different, as you need to write long essays. They need to have breadth and depth, then you will easily get high marks.

also if you do get the chance do technology, do it, as they are the easiest questions.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
also, best tip is to read through every examiner report, they have loads of information on how to get high marks, and what you shouldn't in the exam to avoid wasting your time.
Reply 5
Original post by wartortle
when do you take the exam? are you going to learn all 6 topics?

I mean this exam is difficult, as the each topic has a lot of content, and you need a lot of case studies: small ones are best because you can use them is many situations.
Also try making mind maps, for each of the 3 mini sections of each topic, and record yourself. You can listen through them throughout the year, so you will be able to memorise all the conetnt
But the best way to do well in the exam, is to keep doing past papers.

They mark it quite different, as you need to write long essays. They need to have breadth and depth, then you will easily get high marks.

also if you do get the chance do technology, do it, as they are the easiest questions.

I think we are doing all six. Are you not suppose to? My teacher did say that we might skip a bit on superpowers as it came up in June already. What do you mean with small case studies? I have already 4 and they are quiet long..
Reply 6
Original post by lala121
I think we are doing all six. Are you not suppose to? My teacher did say that we might skip a bit on superpowers as it came up in June already. What do you mean with small case studies? I have already 4 and they are quiet long..

Just little facts, which show solid knowledge. For example for the biodiversity topic, knowing extinctions rate helps make a better answer
Hello,

I'm currently doing Superpower Geographies and Energy Security. We're about half way through both topics, I think.

I'd say A2 is a lot harder than AS, and will take some getting used to. I enjoy Geography, and I'm planning to study it at university, but I felt that AS was really limited in content. Most of the content was carried over from GCSE, bar a case study or two, so I felt like I'd essentially been studying the same things for three years. There's tons more content in Unit 3 alone (it genuinely feels like the Unit should be a qualification in itself) but it's a lot more interesting too as I haven't encountered some of the case studies and theories before, as well as more of an opportunity to debate geographical issues and critcise things like A.G. Frank's Dependency Theory or Wallerstein's World Systems Theory.

The exam will be tough, mainly because we're the unfortunate bunch who will sit the exam in June, but I'm hoping the grade boundaries will fall too.
Reply 8
Original post by moggington
Hello,

I'm currently doing Superpower Geographies and Energy Security. We're about half way through both topics, I think.

I'd say A2 is a lot harder than AS, and will take some getting used to. I enjoy Geography, and I'm planning to study it at university, but I felt that AS was really limited in content. Most of the content was carried over from GCSE, bar a case study or two, so I felt like I'd essentially been studying the same things for three years. There's tons more content in Unit 3 alone (it genuinely feels like the Unit should be a qualification in itself) but it's a lot more interesting too as I haven't encountered some of the case studies and theories before, as well as more of an opportunity to debate geographical issues and critcise things like A.G. Frank's Dependency Theory or Wallerstein's World Systems Theory.

The exam will be tough, mainly because we're the unfortunate bunch who will sit the exam in June, but I'm hoping the grade boundaries will fall too.

Yes! unit 3 is deffo a qualification on its on Lol. To be honest I dont feel that AS was limited by content or even carried on from GCSE. I really enjoyed AS and am enjoying A2 the daunting thought about the exam it just disgusting. I actually AQA for GCSE so that was not really great. Am just about to finish water conflicts and then starting the next. However I am looking forward to unit 4 a bit. I enjoy research! I am actually doing Life on the Margins: Food security
Original post by lala121
Yes! unit 3 is deffo a qualification on its on Lol. To be honest I dont feel that AS was limited by content or even carried on from GCSE. I really enjoyed AS and am enjoying A2 the daunting thought about the exam it just disgusting. I actually AQA for GCSE so that was not really great. Am just about to finish water conflicts and then starting the next. However I am looking forward to unit 4 a bit. I enjoy research! I am actually doing Life on the Margins: Food security

Ah, doing AQA at GCSE will probably be why. Edexcel at GCSE and AS are pretty much exactly the same, except for a few new key words.

I really want to do the food security one, it's a lot more closely related to my geographical interests, but my school annoyingly won't teach it so I think I'm going to have to do Cultural Diversity instead.
Reply 10
Ah, doing AQA at GCSE will probably be why. Edexcel at GCSE and AS are pretty much exactly the same, except for a few new key words.

I really want to do the food security one, it's a lot more closely related to my geographical interests, but my school annoyingly won't teach it so I think I'm going to have to do Cultural Diversity instead.

Oh thats a shame i kind of wanted to do tetonic plates or colf environments but i dont mind

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by lala121

I'm doing all six as well! And then when the pre-release material comes out we focus on the section B topic and a couple from section A :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by AKell17
I'm doing all six as well! And then when the pre-release material comes out we focus on the section B topic and a couple from section A :smile:

I personally think they should cut down the topics.
Reply 13
Original post by lala121
I personally think they should cut down the topics.

I like it :smile: the idea of the topic is to focus on very contemporary issues and that needs quite a range :smile: most of my revision takes place in the month and a half before the exam and the material comes out a moth before!
Reply 14
I just started Bio Diversity and really find it interested. Hard to believe as I hate Biology :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Just begun Energy Security! Everyone in the class is bored and grumbling but I find it really interesting, partly because it's really relevant :smile:
Reply 16
I think am gonna cry! I feel so stressed as i am soo lost with this unit. I have made my notes but i just cant memorise content. Does anyone maybe have a revision checklist preferably for Water Conflicts and Biodiversity???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AKell17
Just begun Energy Security! Everyone in the class is bored and grumbling but I find it really interesting, partly because it's really relevant :smile:

Same, we've just finished it and my entire class hated it. It's so so relevant, with the energy price increases, Balcombe's shale gas exploration protests and Hinkley C, I think we're possibly studying it at one of the best times.
Reply 18
Same, we've just finished it and my entire class hated it. It's so so relevant, with the energy price increases, Balcombe's shale gas exploration protests and Hinkley C, I think we're possibly studying it at one of the best times.

Exactly! The fact it's so up-to-date is brilliant :biggrin:
Reply 19
Just wondering how much have your school finished of this unit? Because my school have finished biodiversity and water conflicts and are nearly about to finish the 3rd section of the research (bearing in mind we have not done any practice e.g. intros or anything)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending