The Student Room Group

Are these good university choices for theoretical physics, with AAA A2 prediction?

For AS, I got AAAA (Maths, Physics, Chemistry and History) and for A2, I'm predicted AAA (dropped History). I was gutted that I wasn't predicted an A* for anything, so I'm going to work really hard this year to get those A*s! If I do get more than AAA, i.e. A*AA or A*A*A, I plan on taking a gap year then (I kinda want to apply to Imperial/Durham/Oxford ish type of places, but my high school is being stingy with predictions, thats why I'm considering the gap year.
Right now, with my predictions, I'm thinking of applying to:

Lancaster Theoretical Physics MSci - A*AA (I emailed them and they said to apply for MSci, if I don't get in for that they can give an offer for BSc which is AAA)

UCL MSci Physics - AAA/AAB

Kings MSci Theoretical Physics - AAA/A*AB

not sure! - may be Exeter for Maths and Physics or should it be a potential insurance choice, any ideas?

Bristol, Maths and Physics AAB

Should I change UCL, for Exeter Maths and Physics?
Can you give me any suggestions to my university choices, please :colondollar:

And, can you on results day, defer your university offer and still reapply for the 2015 UCAS Cycle? :confused:

Thanks!
Reply 1
UCL is a great Uni for physics and is underrated in that area. Definitely keep it on your list. As for the deferring on results day, I'm thinking not necessarily. If they were being nice yes, but results day is stressful for admissions and you would maybe be best trying to pull it off after you've taken you're exams or a few days after results day. There's no they have to say yes, or they will say no. You can't be sure either way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
If you got AAAA at AS, I would suggest applying to at least one or two of Imperial, Durham etc... With those grades, you are very likely to get into your main choices and you have a decent chance of Imperial, Durham (Maybe even Oxbridge). If I were you I'd do

1.Oxbridge/ Imperial
2.Imperial/ Durham
3.UCL
4 & 5.Kings/ Exeter/ Bristol

Don't worry too much about your predicted grades, it will make a difference but your AS grades are much more important to the universities.
Reply 3
You need to aim a bit higher, I feel. You should apply to one university you don't think you'll get into (A*A*A), two you will have to work hard to get into (A*AA), one you should get into if you have a little wobble (AAA) and one backup (AAB/ABB). Try looking at Warwick maths and physics, possibly oxbridge/imperial too for the higher up spots, and Durham as well really.

Note: This assumes you really are capable of getting at least one A* which is evidenced by high unit scores on your AS exams.
Reply 4
Original post by tory88
You need to aim a bit higher, I feel. You should apply to one university you don't think you'll get into (A*A*A), two you will have to work hard to get into (A*AA), one you should get into if you have a little wobble (AAA) and one backup (AAB/ABB). Try looking at Warwick maths and physics, possibly oxbridge/imperial too for the higher up spots, and Durham as well really.

Note: This assumes you really are capable of getting at least one A* which is evidenced by high unit scores on your AS exams.

There aren't any Unis which ask for A*A*A, bar Manchester, so really it should two A*AA unis like Oxbridge/Imperial/Durham
Swap the King's Theoretical Physics course for their Maths and Physics course. (Trust me on this).
Apply to Edinburgh Mathematical Physics or Nottingham Maths and Physics.

Don't bother with Exeter or Lancaster.

Theoretical Physics departments go roughly like:

Cambridge > Oxford > Imperial > Durham/Edinburgh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending