The Student Room Group

Should doctors/nurses wear a full veil?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Al-Mudaari

What I will say is, your situation sounds like a minority and not enough to make a blanket generalisation. P

I see what you did there :tongue:
Reply 21
If they really want to I won't stop them, but I would choose a different doctor. I'm not convinced it wouldn't be unprofessional; trust is more easily built with body language and a doctor's duty is to put the needs of their patients ahead of their own.
Original post by PrettyLittleLiars
Veil doesn't equal a headscarf. And how would wearing a headscarf be a hygiene issue?

The same way a tie and long sleeves could be a hygiene issue, I guess. If you're wearing the same veil/headscarf all day you could risk contaminating people with bacteria that are on your clothing, but if you wear disposable ones then that would eliminate the hygiene problem. It's still an issue with security, though, as each patient that comes in would have no way of knowing whether that is or isn't their doctor as they cannot see their face.

Original post by zeshanahmed
Tuck in their tie usually, but its preferred if it is removed as it can come out. To be honest wearing a veil is actually more hygienic than not wearing one, it prevents anything cross contamination, think of it like a full face mask. Ive seen Doctors and surgeons wearing a 'scarf' scrub, compared to the normal hair nets, the headscarf is more hygienic. Obviously you get disposable ones so hygiene in actual fact is not an issue.

I have no problem regarding hygiene issues then if there is evidence that cross-contamination risks are low, that seems to have sorted that problem out. Thanks for clarifying!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 23
Just do check - by veil you mean a muslim headscarf right? Not a sort of facemask to prevent transmission of disease...
Original post by JackS94
Just do check - by veil you mean a muslim headscarf right? Not a sort of facemask to prevent transmission of disease...

I think OP means full ninja style.

Tbh all the times i've been at the GP/hospital whether as a patient or volunteer,never seen a veiled doc/nurse. Seen headscarves but thats it.
Reply 25
Yup, don't see any issues that it could cause, unless someone purposely wants to be fussy.

Get hearing aids then, a veil isn't going to lower anyone's sound either.

I'm also pretty sure you'll be able to satisfactorily communicate with someone who's face you can't see, unless you don't answer your phone.

Put it this way: if it's immodest to simply show your face, how can we expect you to have an intelligent, practical, and non-judgemental conversation about sex or bowel movements or something like that.
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
It is not part of the religion. Islam says a woman has to dress modestly, it does not say she has to wear a veil. There is no reason to wear it.

Also it is unsanitary. In most hospitals you have to wear their own clothes would be unclean to let others in

Firstly covering of a womens hair is in islam, it is the veil ( face covering) which is optional. You may have many reasons why you dont wear a veil, equally people who do choose to wear veils will have many reasons why they wear it. We cant speak for other peoples intentions.

secondly regarding hygiene, there are usually two parts to a hospital. One part where no outside clothes must be worn, only scrubs, these are usually the operating theatres, and the others are non-clinical areas such as the out-patients department, and wards where normal clothes can be worn. To be honest wearing a veil is actually more hygienic than not wearing one, it prevents anything cross contamination, think of it like a full face mask. Ive seen Doctors and surgeons wearing a 'scarf' scrub, literally a scrub wrapped around like a scarf, this offers better protection compared to the normal hair nets, which move around allot and allow sweat to drip through. If they where to wear a veil during an operation it would be even more hygienic.

I have yet to see a Doctor/ nurse wearing a full veil, they would understand themselves for the need to actually be seen by the patient and create a relationship, thats probably a reason why its rarely seen. In this country anyway other countrys people may not see it as an issue
Doctors are there to help ill patients and to give them support, and it is often facial expressions which play a large part in relaxing a patient- like a couple of weeks ago I had a panic attack at the doctors, the doctor smiled at me, talked gently and calmed me down, had he been wearing a veil I am not sure his reassurance would have had the same effect. A large part of a Doctor and Nurses job is to communicate with patients, and a veil would inhibit part of that :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by Drewski
So, one minority is not allowed to be pandered to, but another is?

It's not pandering, it's respecting their freedom to practice their religion, something the constitute protects.

Original post by Drewski
No matter what you say, Islam accounts for no more than 5% of the total population of the UK. That makes it a minority. But you just said a minority is not enough to make a blanket generalisation.

It certainly isn't enough to make blanket generalisations. A small minority, who can choose their doctors, who somehow can't properly communicate without seeing someone's face, is not enough to have someone's freedom breached.

There will always be patients that have one issue or another with specific doctors, which is why you're able to choose - that shouldn't be a reason to ban them.

Original post by The Angry Stoic
Such ignorance. Not all death people can use hearing aids.

And do you not understand how much communication is non verbal? Imagine being told you had cancer by nothing but a pair of eyes.

The veil doesn't block your eyes.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 29
I'm not going to be marrying my doctor so there's no need for her to really
Original post by electra<3
No. That type of job requires patient-doctor/nurse contact and trust. If you can't see someone's face you can't read them so you can't fully trust them, no matter how reassuring their voice is.

what if it was morgan freeman behind that veil? :P would you not trust his voice
Reply 31
Original post by mmmpie
Put it this way: if it's immodest to simply show your face, how can we expect you to have an intelligent, practical, and non-judgemental conversation about sex or bowel movements or something like that.

I think you're getting too far ahead yourself. In any profession where someone's health is of concern, your personal feelings never come into it. There are many doctors that have a dislike for Homosexuals, drug abusers, alcoholics etc. but they don't let their personal feelings get in the way of their objective judgements to diagnose their problem.
Reply 32
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
The same way a tie and long sleeves could be a hygiene issue, I guess. If you're wearing the same veil/headscarf all day you could risk contaminating people with bacteria that are on your clothing, but if you wear disposable ones then that would eliminate the hygiene problem. It's still an issue with security, though, as each patient that comes in would have no way of knowing whether that is or isn't their doctor as they cannot see their face.

Have you ever been to a hospital before in your life? Do you know what ID tags are for?
Have you ever been to a hospital before in your life? Do you know what ID tags are for?

Oh yeah because ID cards can't be passed around, duplicated or stolen can they :rolleyes:

Are you for real?
Reply 34
It's not pandering, it's respecting their freedom to practice their religion, something the constitute protects.

What "constitute" is that?

If you mean constitution, then you ought to know we don't have one.
Well, I'm not a doctor to really verify this illness that renders communication obsolete without seeing the person's face.

What I will say is, your situation sounds like a minority and not enough to make a blanket generalisation. Patients can choose their doctors, so I guess it wouldn't be much of an issue for you any ways. Still a shame you're so much against the veil.

It's a part of someone's [mainly female Muslims] religious practice. That's reason enough.

I'm pretty sure that Islamically speaking, a veil would be "waived" because it's probably a health risk ie: lots of "laws" can be bent in the case of necessity

Original post by The Angry Stoic
Such ignorance. Not all death people can use hearing aids.

Tbh,I don't quite think they need them :biggrin:
A veil? No..

A face covering isn't even necessary in Islam and it causes quite a bit of inconvenience. I don't think I could trust my doctor if they were wearing a veil. Why are they in the profession if they don't want their faces to be seen? Maybe a job in a call centre is more appropriate.

I mean why is this even a debate? We should respect everyones beliefs but why should we compromise the quality of care and security in this country?

I am muslim myself. Dislike the whole policy in France. They are intolerant, but Britain needs to get a grip and draw the line with veils somewhere.

However headscarves are fine :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

It certainly isn't enough to make blanket generalisations. A small minority, who can choose their doctors, who somehow can't properly communicate without seeing someone's face, is not enough to have someone's freedom breached.

There will always be patients that have one issue or another with specific doctors, which is why you're able to choose - that shouldn't be a reason to ban them.

The veil doesn't block your eyes.

Exactly. Only eyes.
Original post by de_monies
I'm pretty sure that Islamically speaking, a veil would be "waived" because it's probably a health risk ie: lots of "laws" can be bent in the case of necessity

Tbh,I don't quite think they need them :biggrin:

I know I just noticed :biggrin:
Reply 39
I think you're getting too far ahead yourself. In any profession where someone's health is of concern, your personal feelings never come into it. There are many doctors that have a dislike for Homosexuals, drug abusers, alcoholics etc. but they don't let their personal feelings get in the way of their objective judgements to diagnose their problem.

I think you live in a very different world to the rest of us.

Many doctors and nurses do let their feelings get in the way of their judgement; I once had a nurse sacked for making a homophobic remark in A&E. Building trust between the medical profession and certain groups has been and continues to be an ongoing problem. The penalties for certain kinds of misconduct have helped, but I feel that contributes more to an air of mutual mistrust than mutual trust.

I would rather share intimate problems with a doctor who I don't know but who on a snap judgement - based on face, body language, and whatever other subconscious factor - I feel comfortable with than one I know well but do not feel comfortable with. We do not trust doctors simply because they are doctors, we trust them because we believe that they are good people as well as doctors.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending