The Student Room Group

Should doctors/nurses wear a full veil?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Its ME.Go0o
How many doctors or nurses are there in the UK who wear a full veil? Maybe one or two IF ANY. This is a non-story which has been fabricated by the media in order to bring Islam back into the media spotlight, especially after the lack of movement on the Syria front in recent days.

its true it is a non story, because most professional muslims don't actually follow this backward practice. however the question was asked by the OP and there seems still, even hypothetically, to be muslims that think they should be worn by medics etc
Reply 81
Original post by tsr5522
dressing ' like slut' is a subjective phrase. and it is no excuse for a rapist. rapes occur because of the attacker, not the victim , and in fact im sure there are some wierdos that would get ideas about women in burkhas too -rapes occur all throughout the Islamic world (despite their poor recording system) so islam has not invented a cure for rape either. Your argument appars to be islam says blame the victim not the criminal. So by your logic- if some one attacks you because they want your trainers, that's your fault. so why do muslim men wear expensive trainers, its a temptation to theives - hypocrites?

If that 'muslim' draws unnecessary attention to his 'trainers', then yes he deserves it. just like if a slut draws unnecesary attention to her slutty self by wearing slutty outfits.
Original post by khalaasa
If that 'muslim' draws unnecessary attention to his 'trainers', then yes he deserves it. just like if a slut draws unnecesary attention to her slutty self by wearing slutty outfits.

This is a whole other topic in itself, but rape goes on in Muslim countries too on women who cover up.. Not every victim wore promiscuous clothing (which does not justify rape in the slightest even if they did) therefore your argument is invalid.
Original post by Its ME.Go0o
How many doctors or nurses are there in the UK who wear a full veil? Maybe one or two IF ANY. This is a non-story which has been fabricated by the media in order to bring Islam back into the media spotlight, especially after the lack of movement on the Syria front in recent days.

Spot on. This is a non-story. I have never seen a women with a burqa in any job tbh, they usually don't work. Never seen a doctor in a full veil so this is not an issue, its all scaremongering and politicians trying to distract us from the real issues.
Reply 84
No, they shouldn't. It would be just weird tbh.
Original post by Al-Mudaari
Once again, even as a surgeon, the veil is not a health risk. Here are surgeons;

That's basically the niqaab with a few modifications, but not much difference.

Seriously?

There's a massive difference - the face mask and surgical gown are single-use. I.e. changed between surgeries, so they don't carry potential infections between patients. A niqaab is not single-use, you don't see people throwing them away and changing to a different one to do a new task.

Oh, and no - so much of communication is non-verbal that you need to be able to see your doctors face.
Reply 86
Original post by khalaasa

so now you areadmitting all the muslim males I see at uni are hypocrites? Or not beleiveing muslims? Why did quran tell women to cover up but didn't tell men not to wear expensive shoes? Your 'reasoning' is full of holes. This is without even touching on the subject that female doctos in veils impairs their ability to do the job (probably why then no muslim doctor in the nhs is ever recorded to have chosen to wear a veil )
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 87
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Seriously?

There's a massive difference - the face mask and surgical gown are single-use. I.e. changed between surgeries, so they don't carry potential infections between patients. A niqaab is not single-use, you don't see people throwing them away and changing to a different one to do a new task.

Actually yes it is. There's nothing against changing a custom made niqaab between surgeries.

All a Niqaab does is covers the hair and face, leaving the eyes, which is what the face masks resemble.

Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Oh, and no - so much of communication is non-verbal that you need to be able to see your doctors face.

It's not essential, there are women who wear the niqaab who are nurses etc. without having communication problems with their patients.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 88
Actually yes it is. There's nothing against changing a custom made niqaab between surgeries.

All a Niqaab does is covers the hair and face, leaving the eyes, which is what the face masks resemble.

the surgeons mask is used for an entirely different reason to niqab - it protections against transmission of infection during surgery. it isn't he same because the mask is tight fitting to the face, the veil is not necessarily. and the doctor takes it off when talking to patients etc, the muslim woman does not.
Reply 89
Morning:-)
For what it is worth I have never met a nurse nor a doctor with their face completely covered up with their cultural get up,if others have I would be interested in reading about this experience.
Maybe cheeky of me to think but this debate that has had folks frothing at the mouth makes me liken it to a social debate on what one would do if they came across a crocodile heading towards them on a unicycle with a red rose clamped between their jaws.
Sure someone on this planet may see such a scene but the chances of many witnessing this is unlikely.
I think there is a bit of scaremongering going on within specific sections of the media,I could be wrong but this is my opinion.
Nope. This is the UK, not Saudi Arabia.
Reply 91
I would refuse to be treated by a veiled doctor.
Reply 92
Well, I'm not a doctor to really verify this illness that renders communication obsolete without seeing the person's face.

What I will say is, your situation sounds like a minority and not enough to make a blanket generalisation. Patients can choose their doctors, so I guess it wouldn't be much of an issue for you any ways. Still a shame you're so much against the veil.

It's a part of someone's [mainly female Muslims] religious practice. That's reason enough.

Being deaf isn't an illness, its a disability bro.
Reply 93
Once again, even as a surgeon, the veil is not a health risk. Here are surgeons;

That's basically the niqaab with a few modifications, but not much difference.

When the issue is mostly communication and trust between medic and patient, when undergoing surgery it doesn't make a difference. But the surgeon gear still leaves it easy to identify the person beneath. And veils dangle all over the place.
Reply 94
Original post by Foo.mp3

As someone was saying on Question Time, it's up to the entire Muslim community to become more moderate and seek to integrate, which includes mixing with the rest of us, presenting themselves in a more ordinary and approachable manner, and treating women as equals and allowing them to express themselves

I disagree, I couldn't careless what a person says on Question Time, I have tired to integrate plenty of times, I find it hard to make white friends, I've put way too much effort and patience, it's just not reciprocal. I don't have any issues with anyone of any other race whatsoever. So quit with the we (Muslims) need to present ourselves. No, we don't and I certainly wont anymore. You are the majority, its up to you. If this was a Muslim country and you was not ethnically from here, then yes it is for us to integrate.
If medical staff can wear veils ambulances should look this.

1379849486444.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Completely inappropriate and I would say that anyone who has a desire to wear a full face veil is not suited to a job in the NHS.
Original post by electra<3
No. That type of job requires patient-doctor/nurse contact and trust. If you can't see someone's face you can't read them so you can't fully trust them, no matter how reassuring their voice is.

I agree.
Of course they bloody shouldn't. If I'm a patient, I want to see who I'm talking to. Their body language, their face etc. You need that nurse,doctor/patient connection. I can't even believe that this is being debated to be honest. Anyone who thinks it's fine has never been in hospital..
No, a fundamental part of these jobs is communication and building trust.

You cannot do that with your face obscured. Even if it makes no difference to the sound volume and quality of speech, the simply fact that you cannot see another's persons face has huge repercussions for human communication, as there is great psychological value attached to faces and a huge amount of body language that is shown through facial expressions.

Even simpler than that, a hearing person's ability to recognise and understand words is not based solely on what they hear, and in important and long conversations draws a lot from being able to see the mouth movements of the person with whom you are speaking - 'lip reading' is unconsciously done by all us us, not just those with impaired hearing.

For those who say that a patient could ask someone to take it off:

No, the patient really couldn't.
Not only is the patient role a frightening one wherein making these requests is very daunting (regardless of how nice the doctor is), in today's social environment, people could and absolutely would be accused of racism or some form of discrimination for doing so.

Quick Reply

Latest