The Student Room Group

Freshers Week: Parents Staying Overnight. HELP.

Scroll to see replies

Oh man that really is a blow.
As others have said, she means well, if she doesn't budge, seriously consider your mum staying at a nearby hotel, not in halls!!
Original post by Luke070
That is... interesting. Surely she know's that what she would be doing is just out of the ordinary?

I'm the first one off to uni so she just wants to make everything comfy for me I guess. I think I managed to convince her not to stay though with the promise that she can stay for as long as she likes to help me unpack.
Original post by rattusratus
a little clingy isnt it :confused:

I left home at 16 lol... I assume you are 18 so you're an adult, id see it as interfering - if she insists on coming tell her she will have to stay in a hotel, student rooms are tiny and do you think she would of wanted to have her parents fussing over her while shes trying to learn and make friends

it might be nice if she lets you go down and the visits you in say 5 days (when you settled and starting to feel homesick) she could come visit for the day or at a push the weekend and you can go out to dinner together or something and talk about things if you are close but anything else seems a bit suffocating

We're really close and it's my first time away from home so she just wants to make sure that I'm happy and comfortable before she leaves. I think I managed to convince her to stay somewhere else overnight and since we are really close she'll be down to see me anyway.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
That's like a Fresher's worst nightmare. Btw how did it go?

I think I managed to convince her not to stay overnight with me so let's hope it stays that way aha
Original post by NikoB
Oh man that really is a blow.
As others have said, she means well, if she doesn't budge, seriously consider your mum staying at a nearby hotel, not in halls!!

She honestly does mean well and just wants to make sure that everything's sorted for me so I won't miss home too much. I think she's now going to stay somewhere else overnight but is still going to stay for as long as it takes to help me unpack the first day- better that than her staying overnight.
Reply 45
Original post by feministgrrrl123
I'm the first one off to uni so she just wants to make everything comfy for me I guess. I think I managed to convince her not to stay though with the promise that she can stay for as long as she likes to help me unpack.

Well that's a result! Just make sure she doesn't stay the night :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest