The Student Room Group

Is 10 hours a week a part time access course?

Or is that considered full time?
Reply 1
I would say part time . Ive just finished a full time access course which was 2 days a week 9-4 with an occasional 3 day week :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
It sounds like part-time to me. But some colleges are different - same goes for universities. I had an ex who went to university two times per week and they considered it as full time. I would ring up and ask! Good luck.
I've been told by my tutor that any access course is considered full time on all official forms because of the amount of studying you do outside of college - I'm only in college for 12.5 hrs a week but expected to do the same amount of outside study! Best ask the college you intend on going to.
Reply 4
Original post by Dark_Paradise
I've been told by my tutor that any access course is considered full time on all official forms because of the amount of studying you do outside of college - I'm only in college for 12.5 hrs a week but expected to do the same amount of outside study! Best ask the college you intend on going to.

Hrm this is interesting, because in my last study skills lesson, we were told to put down "part time" on our UCAS forms because it doesn't count as full time, even though I'm in college 9 - 4, 3 days a week.

I was confused because when I went for my interview, I was told it was full time, because part time was in the evenings. I even told my tutor that he told me this in the lesson, and he was like no, its part time. Even though he was the one to say it was full time before! :s-smilie:
Original post by Jessykins
Hrm this is interesting, because in my last study skills lesson, we were told to put down "part time" on our UCAS forms because it doesn't count as full time, even though I'm in college 9 - 4, 3 days a week.

I was confused because when I went for my interview, I was told it was full time, because part time was in the evenings. I even told my tutor that he told me this in the lesson, and he was like no, its part time. Even though he was the one to say it was full time before! :s-smilie:

Yes, my college hasn't really been clear on it either to be honest. Pretty sure we were told to put full time on our UCAS applications though! :confused:

Just looked it up - 21 hours and above is considered full time.

[h="2"]Are you a full-time student?[/h]You are classed as a full-time student if:

you are 18 or over and at college, university or similar;

your course lasts at least 24 weeks in the year; and

it involves at least 21 hours of study a week.

(From Manchester City Council website)
If contact hours was the measure of full or part-time then most degrees (8 to 12) would be part-time. Yet a student receiving carers allowance loses it when they start uni even though the amount of caring remains undiminished. Other posters have covered the technical definitions. Although I am aware of another threshold applying that is < 16 hours for things like JSA in fact this threshold applies to carers allowance too.
If the same criteria were applied to Access as Uni the government would have to introduce maintenance loans and grants for Access students.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending