The Student Room Group

If there is such a shortage of doctors, why is it so hard to get into Medical School?

The NHS reports regularly that there is a shortage of doctors and nurses in hospitals in the UK, but the Government seem to do absolutely nothing about it. As you can probably understand, as a want-to-be medic (although I am not applying, instead to read English), I find it incredibly frustrating that, whilst issue remains, getting through the door to fulfill the demand is so difficult. Why do a) universities not take note of the problem(funding from central Government?) and b) why does the Government not respond?

Any responses will be gratefully received, thanks.
Reply 1
That's because there are far more applicants wishing to apply into medicine than the number of spots available. I think there are about 30 universities that offer medicine? From what I remember, in 2009, UCAS reported that there are 60,000 applicants fighting over 6000 spots. Maybe the UK just needs to increase the number of medical schools (which trust me is not an easy thing to do if you want to maintain your standards)
Reply 2
Original post by aallen
The NHS reports regularly that there is a shortage of doctors and nurses in hospitals in the UK, but the Government seem to do absolutely nothing about it. As you can probably understand, as a want-to-be medic (although I am not applying, instead to read English), I find it incredibly frustrating that, whilst issue remains, getting through the door to fulfill the demand is so difficult. Why do a) universities not take note of the problem(funding from central Government?) and b) why does the Government not respond?

Firstly, there isn't a shortage of doctors at a junior level. We have just cut the number of medical school places by 2% and will likely cut more over the coming years to reduce problems with the significant oversupply leaving medical school. The last couple of years have faced substantial issues with getting everyone a foundation job, medical graduate unemployment is likely to appear very soon without significant efforts to avoid it.

There is however a shortage of doctors prepared to take dead end posts with terrible pay and working conditions, A&E staff grade for instance. Unsurprisingly many people would rather spend years waiting for a decent post to come up in a more attractive speciality than take such a undesirable job. Traditionally these jobs were filled by immigrants, but as parts of the world they traditionally came from have developed - india for instance, and embargoes and visa issues with recruiting from other areas - africa for instance. Recuiting from abroad isn't such a viable option any more, though we do have very many applicants from within europe (but again not so keen on the really really crap jobs).

I was interested to note one of my tutors in paediatrics had trained in the UK, just got his CCT, had a consultant post for 6 months, and was working out his notice before taking up a consultant post in India where they pay and living standards were better than in the post he had here.

Another point to note is that occasionally you will see areas reported as unable to fill posts, look at the jobs advertised and suspect they are deliberately advertising unfillable posts, i.e. they don't feel its desirable to spend the money on filling the job.
Reply 3
Original post by aallen

I think its just a lack of funding from the central government.
Reply 4
Original post by aallen

The med schools aren't the problem. There are a fair number of medical graduates finishing junior doctor years and finding themselves unemployed. Its lack of training positions further down the career pathway, and problems within specific specialities that have become very undesirable e.g. A&E. That is what has made the headlines recently.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending