The Student Room Group

Changing to living at home

So I'm into my second day of uni, and I'm finding it really tough, as I come from a very close family, I feel very homesick, and I haven't made any good friends yet. I was wondering whether it would be possible to change my living situation to living at home, as it is close enough to travel each day and I would be prepared to do that, and I think it would be easier for me to do that. Thanks
Its your second day, of course you haven't made any good friends yet. Abd almost everyone will be home sick at one point or another. Stick it out for a few weeks and if you're still sure then start talking to your uni and student finance about living at home. Generally its possible to change accommodation, course, etc up until the October reading week/ half term.
You'll miss out on a lot living at home.
Reply 2
What kind of accommodation are you in? Are you in a shared flat? Catered? Self catered? Private rental? All these scenarios can have pluses and minuses for helping to get to know people.

I'd like to bet a goodly proportion of freshers are feeling much similar to you as in not really knowing anyone yet. It might look like "everyone" is having a great and carefree time but for many it will just be bravado and they're still as nervous as heck. Basically what I'm saying is that although you're feeling bad now it's very common and most people who feel this way get through it so the chances that you will too are extremely high :smile:.

Think of living away from home as part of your education too picking up life skills like money management, cooking, getting from A-B, time management as well as how to get along with new people and, yes, eventually some WILL become your friends. Remember they are new, alone and lost too. If it's only day 2 then it's unlikely you'll have started your course proper and met people there who will more obviously have things in common with you

Keep a diary of new achievements each day, small everyday things you can take comfort from like finding the bus stop, finding a good sandwich shop, trying a new recipe, found the cash machine, smiled at a few strangers and got a smile back :smile: Believe it or not just smiling at somebody in passing, even if you don't speak, might have cheered them up and given them a small comfort.

Good luck, stick with it, the greatest probability is that you'll be fine and when you've settled a bit the fact that you live near home will be a boon when you can take your washing back and get it done for free :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm in Hall of residence and its self catered with a shared kitchen and bathroom between 6 people, but all my flatmates are the types to go out and party each night, and I really dont like doing that, and I'm finding it hard to meet other people :/
Reply 4
So you're actually in a quite a good position to be making passing light conversation.

I'm guessing there is a dining table/seating area in the kitchen? Instead of sitting in your room try sitting in there occasionally with your mug of coffee and read a magazine. Your flatmates will need to surface for sustenance periodically so when they come in smile and ask them if they had a good time. You might have no intention of going to such events, and stick to your guns if you really don't want to, but a bit of friendly interest in them might be well received.

Seeing as you're all new you could have a few accommodation related questions to ask them (even if you know the answer already :biggrin:) to break the ice. Ask if they've sussed out how the laundrette works, got hooked onto the internet, tried the buses, found some good local shops and so on. A couple of days in nobody is going to really need a big food shop as like as not but you could ask what supermarkets they prefer in a few days.

You don't need to exchange more than a few sentences but it gets you seen and if you initiate some chat they'll see you as someone approachable.

The manic partying will die down big time over the next few days as normality sets in and once you start your course proper there'll be more people to talk to and they'll definitely have things in common with you....like assignments...you know....WORK lol the actual reason you're all there.

You'll be fine I'm sure :smile:
Original post by Sherlock.and.John
I'm in Hall of residence and its self catered with a shared kitchen and bathroom between 6 people, but all my flatmates are the types to go out and party each night, and I really dont like doing that, and I'm finding it hard to meet other people :/

have you tried it to be sociable it my be an Idea to tag along now and again you never know you may even god forbid have a good time

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending