The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They probably have enough money not to be bothered by a ticket.
Reply 2
Original post by pjm600
They probably have enough money not to be bothered by a ticket.

100+ is an instaban if I remember rightly.
Reply 3
its not the tickets or the money loss. its the new-ish drivers that do it too and they are the easiest to have the license revoked and 6 points you're done. lol I want to know how they do it where they do it. I dont want to keep at 70mph on the speedo when my satnav is showing 67mph thinking that I will get caught by a camera or pulled over and points if there is so much lenience.
Reply 4
Original post by iareare
I hear people say they drove 100+ mph on the motorway occasionally. I dont understand how they do it? are there no speed cameras on certain parts of the motorways? or are there certain regions where these people easily get away with that sh*t?

They are running late for work, see the speed limit and they are reminded of the cruel meme ' Aint No Body Got time for dat'
I don't think I've been on the motorway with people who haven't been doing 100mph+ to be honest. Doesn't my dad set the best example :h:
velocity = distance / time

therefore increase velocity will decrease time taken
Alot of people do it, because they know it's unlikely they'll get caught. I never knew that 100mph+ was an instaban
Original post by iareare
its not the tickets or the money loss. its the new-ish drivers that do it too and they are the easiest to have the license revoked and 6 points you're done. lol I want to know how they do it where they do it. I dont want to keep at 70mph on the speedo when my satnav is showing 67mph thinking that I will get caught by a camera or pulled over and points if there is so much lenience.

I think it's very dangerous. I think some people probably do it because they simply don't grasp the risks and trust their car and driving skills too much - yeah, probably some don't have points yet as well, but maybe many of them do, they just don't assess risk properly.

There are also some drivers who are just pressured a lot by work and stuff like that and they race from one meeting to the next around the motorways - people who work in sales and things like that.

A lot of older guys in their 30s and 40s with big, expensive, fast cars do it - people like businessmen with Range Rovers. I think they just feel like they know what they're doing, that they will spot cops, etc and they believe they can 'handle the speed' and that their cars are 'up to it'. The motorways aren't really all that closely policed in many rural areas. I drive on the M40 fairly regularly and you don't see many police cars. Maybe there are some unmarked ones though. It's pretty easy to spot those speed vans that park on bridges, but not so easy to spot unmarked patrol cars.
Reply 9
No cameras and on very rare occasions are there highway police.

The highway police are usually on A-roads.
Speedometers lie to us, display the speed 3mph more than you are going.

Britain has one of the lowest speed limits in the world can't blame people for travelling 110 mph in a straight line
Original post by radiopred
Speedometers lie to us, display the speed 3mph more than you are going.

Britain has one of the lowest speed limits in the world can't blame people for travelling 110 mph in a straight line

It's actually 10% over the speed limit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I think it's very dangerous. I think some people probably do it because they simply don't grasp the risks and trust their car and driving skills too much - yeah, probably some don't have points yet as well, but maybe many of them do, they just don't assess risk properly.

When it's dry, 100mph is perfectly safe on a lot of British motorway. There's often plenty of visibility, wide lanes, and outside of rush hour, not much traffic. It's people who don't follow proper lane discipline or use mirrors that are the dangerous drivers.

I'm not suggesting it's okay to drive everywhere at 100mph. Most people are too easily distracted to be able to do that, and many would do it at inappropriate times. I just don't like when people say speed alone is dangerous when it's usually another factor that causes accidents.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by FXX
When it's dry, 100mph is perfectly safe on a lot of British motorway. There's often plenty of visibility, wide lanes, and outside of rush hour, not much traffic. It's people who don't follow proper lane discipline or use mirrors that are the dangerous drivers.

I'm not suggesting it's okay to drive everywhere at 100mph. Most people are too easily distracted to be able to do that, and many would do it at inappropriate times. I just don't like when people say speed alone is dangerous when it's usually another factor that causes accidents.

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking when you're alone and no one is there even on the opposite side and its a straight line you're only ever risking yourself even then you're not really if you know what you're car is capable of and you know you're surroundings. I think I avoided an accident because I knew a BMW is speeding behind me switching lanes in traffic like an idiot and seemed like he didn't see me, had I not moved to the left and sped up a bit I think he would've pinned me from the back. I shouldn't have to constantly drive at 70 mph(speedo).

Have you every done 90+mph?

I just dont understand how people get away with 100mph though? where the hell are they doing this.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
As far as I know they are only a few places on the motorway network where average speed cameras exist and cameras usually enforce the 50 mph speed limit when roadworks are being done. As for normal speed cameras there are none. I have been in a car at 110 mph indicated on the speedo when it was clear and not much traffic and I did not feel unsafe. I think the main consideration is if a car pull out in front of you into your lane, do you have enough time to slow down?
Reply 15
Original post by hsv
As far as I know they are only a few places on the motorway network where average speed cameras exist and cameras usually enforce the 50 mph speed limit when roadworks are being done. As for normal speed cameras there are none. I have been in a car at 110 mph indicated on the speedo when it was clear and not much traffic and I did not feel unsafe. I think the main consideration is if a car pull out in front of you into your lane, do you have enough time to slow down?

where was this? I think if the road is clear with great visibility then there is no danger of a car pulling out in front of you and if there are cars around you I don't think anyone should do more than the other cars are doing.
Reply 16
I think the speed limit in Poland is something like 90 or 100 mph and in Germany of course some of the sections of autobahn are still derestricted. A good article to find out what it is like is if you can find it is when EVO magazine went up to around 205 mph on an autobahn in a Porsche Carrera GT. They also did over 160 mph in a HSV Monaro on derestricted (I think or at least there was no one for miles) roads in the Australian outback in the same series of articles.
Reply 17
Original post by iareare
where was this? I think if the road is clear with great visibility then there is no danger of a car pulling out in front of you and if there are cars around you I don't think anyone should do more than the other cars are doing.

On a motorway with no traffic in front. I mentioned the pulling out thing because I talked to someone at a motorcycle show about speeding etc and he said the danger is people going into your lane to overtake a slower car when you are travelling at high speeds, im not sure why he said this?
There is nothing unsafe if a old driver goes over 100 mph on an empty straight road. The problem is that most speeders are not god drivers and they do not speed on empty straight roads.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by hsv
On a motorway with no traffic in front. I mentioned the pulling out thing because I talked to someone at a motorcycle show about speeding etc and he said the danger is people going into your lane to overtake a slower car when you are travelling at high speeds, im not sure why he said this?

no I meant which motorway? was it the M40 by any chance? I see people going pretty fast there.

Yeah when there are cars near you I don't think you should be over speeding. Some people aren't as good drivers and don't bother looking in their mirrors before switching lanes. Its better to not get anyone else killed lol.

Latest

Trending

Trending