The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Well at 18 you're legally an adult so you can do pretty much anything you want, nothing much changes at 21 though.
Reply 2
At 21 you can get into more strippers joints :cool: or night clubs :biggrin:
iz_a_bell
what kind of responsibilities does 18 and 21 year old hold legally in the UK? (i.e. marry without parent's consent)

Certain jobs, such as MP and Probabtion Officer, become available to you at 21. Not really sure why they do that and don't just reject people normally as 'not having enough experiance', but the fact remains.

Other things mentioned in my Readers Digest (and out of date- still has Homosexual Age of Consent at 18) big book of law at 21 are;

Can adopt children.
Can drive a lorry or bus.
Can be a driving instructor (if you have been driving for three years or more)
Can be a bookmaker
Go to prison instead of a Young Offenders thingymabob.
Reply 4
why was homosexual consent ever 18? When was that law repealed?
RR
why was homosexual consent ever 18? When was that law repealed?

Was for ages... homosexuality had a higher age of consent ever since it was legalised in the UK in 1967, being first 21 (when the straight age was 18) and then 18 (when the straight age moved down to 16).

As i recall, Blair harmonised the ages in his first term of office- and i think he first tried to do it with a fanfare, but it got into opposition so he 'backed down' and put it into the next criminal justice act. But im fuzzy on that bit.

Still, makes you pine for the days when Blair did things 'caus he honestly thought it was right to do so, rather than pander to the worst aspects of the electorate (or, specifically, The Scum newspaper and Rebecca Wade)

Ohh, just found this that explains it in more detail- http://www.gayyouthuk.org.uk/info/the_law.phtml
At 21 the real minimum wage kicks in. Contrary to popular belief its a lower level for 18-21 than for 21 yr olds. I didnt learn this until last summer but most places pay equally for 18 anyway to save debate.

Latest

Trending

Trending