The Student Room Group

Ukmog- 26/9/13

Hi,

I've been entered into the UKMOG by my Further Maths teacher and I'm intrigued.. in style of question, is it more similar to the IMC or the BMO?
I've done the junior and intermediate maths challenges, and both kangaroos, but never the Olympiad.
Is there any way I can prepare, or any particular way I should approach the questions?
Any help is appreciated!
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
Original post by beaux1
Hi,

I've been entered into the UKMOG by my Further Maths teacher and I'm intrigued.. in style of question, is it more similar to the IMC or the BMO?
I've done the junior and intermediate maths challenges, and both kangaroos, but never the Olympiad.
Is there any way I can prepare, or any particular way I should approach the questions?
Any help is appreciated!

It's closer to the BMO in style (and therefore very different to maths challenges and the kangaroos).

It really depends on how seriously you want to take this. You can potentially go out and buy a few fairly serious geometry, number theory and algebra textbooks and work through them and put in a lot of effort (and maybe ask for advice from teachers), also I recommend looking up past papers online and having a shot at some of the questions.

Even if you don't really care, I would recommend learning modular arithmetic, revise GCSE shapes/angles/geometry and learn/ revise your work on proofs - particularly proof by contradiction, counterexample and induction.

If you get stuck on a particular question or you want a few pointers/hints, then just post in this forum and someone should be able to help. If you've never done an Olympiad before then it's fairly demanding to start now - but by all means you should give it a go if you think you'd enjoy that.

Quick Reply

Latest