The Student Room Group

How badly have I fudged it?

Sorry, it's another of those topics, but it'd help alleviate my agitation. I need about 55-56% to secure a B overall, but I'd settle for a C if I had to.

Section A:

2a) Two Psychological explanations of Schizophrenia.
I did the one about Freud and ego regression, but also managed to mention how behaviourists think of it as faulty thinking, so the examiner MIGHT think it's 2 explanations (I foolishly only learned one Psychological explanation).
Prediction: As I only used 1, I'll assume the best I can get is 7/15, as I did manage to write a good 2 pages.

b) How well can Psychological explanations alone explain schizophrenia?
I wasn't sure at first what to do, so I said that they can't alone purely explain it as a lot of the research is speculative, then just wrote about the Genetic Factors and Biochemical Factors from Biological Explanations.
Prediction: I have little to no idea. I wrote a lot of detail, and if I was correct in using Biological Explanations, then I should do well here.

Section B:

5) Ethics of Socially Sensitive Research
I fudged this badly. I hadn't revised it, so I waffled for 3 pages. I mentioned how studies may provide ammunition for prejudice, and mentioned how newspapers like the Sun have sensationalist headlines which may make certain sectors look bad. I then basically said about deception, like the Tea Room Trade study (I think that's right) and said about the watch queen, and how he decieved homosexuals, who might not want to take part in anymore studies now. I also said that experimenters are in a tough position as they may want to release a study but doing so may unwillingly provide ammo for prejudice, so should we expect them to water down or not release a study?
Prediction: I'll be lucky to pick up 5 marks, I reckon, but I dunno.

Section C:

9) The adventurous holidays one
a) Which two approaches?
I said Social Learning Theory - the idea of seeing role models on TV enjoying dangerous activities, and he'd want the same feeling so he followed suit. I then said cognitive, and the idea of schema, that he would've had a positive schema of those activities.
Prediction: I was struggling a bit here, but I reckon I maybe got 8/12

b) Strengths/limitations
I chose cognitive. I said - Strengths: 1) recognises humans are cognitive animals 2) Scientific - can be falsified by studies 3) looks at individual differences - people's own experiences Weaknesses: 1) Ignores emotions/determination which are known to influence behaviour 2) Reductionist - reduces behaviours to simple exchanges, but does acknowledge other approaches 3) Determinist - ignores genetic/environmental influences
Prediction: I didn't really relate them much, so maybe 4/6.

c) How would you investigate?
I chose cognitive, and said a lab study. I'd test to see if seeing videos of an adventurous holiday produced a greater galvanic skin response than a video or a caravan holiday. I mentioned operationalisation of variables, it would be a repeated measures design, volunteer sample, deception would be debriefed
Prediction: I reckon I'll do OK here - 4/6

d) Strengths/Limitations of investigatory methods
I said - Strengths: 1) It shows causes, and controls extraneous variables 2) Can be replicated easily to test reliability 3) Validity can be tested by replicating study w/ different participants Weaknesses: 1) Lacks external validity. I explained external validity and said it's due to operationalisation of variables. Through making them easy to measure you're sacrificing external validity 2) Lack of internal validity may happen due to researcher bias. I explained this and said demand characteristics also, but said this was unlikely, as galvanic skin response isn't something that can as such be controlled.
Prediction: 4/6

I wrote about 13 pages in all. If I had to guess, I'd say I scored about 42/94 (44%), and at most 47/94 (50%). But these marks will be slanted a tad, right? Cheers for those who read.

Oh, and do I lose credit for not referring the strengths/limitations back to the question?
You would have picked up more than 44% if you wrote 13 pages!!! From how you just described it I'm sure you would've got more like 70% !!! Just forget about it, it's over, there's nothing we can do, just enjoy the summer and start worrying again (if you feel you have to :rolleyes: ) on the 17th of august :smile:
Reply 2
Yeah, sounds like a plan, mate. *raises glass* Just writing it made me feel better really.
Reply 3
if you mentioned behaviourism in the first section you could have more like 10/15 in a). And you did B right so could have 13+/15, i dont know.

its seriously unlikely that you wrote 3 pages and only got 5 marks for ethics. Just like to point out that you don't necessarily have to regurgitate the text book, as long as you write in detail about the subject, its fine. I'd say you got more like 17/30

9a) did you write more than what you just said? that wouldn't score many marks.. maybe 4/12

you will lose marks for not referring back to the question in 9) b, maybe 3/6

9c) sounds good, if you expanded on those points, could have 5 or 6/6

9d) same as 9c

I'd say you could have 59/94 if you expanded 9c + 9d. And that is usually an A in this exam
That's the thing... it's so easy to pick up marks for random stuff... and the grade boundaries are so low... you'll have done fine :wink:
Reply 5
I wrote more than I said for 9a. About a page on SLT and a page on Cognitive.
Reply 6
i feel crap now. i didnt write enough. For tyhe schitzophrenia and they asked to what extend to the psychological theory can be used to explain....i didnt realise they wanted biological. I just argued pros and cons and lightly touched biolgical as thinking they'd of asked for it if they wanted. GUTTED
i'm sure everyone did fine and there's nothing you can do about it now so don't dwell on it. just have a great summer!!!:biggrin:
ttlbliss
i feel crap now. i didnt write enough. For tyhe schitzophrenia and they asked to what extend to the psychological theory can be used to explain....i didnt realise they wanted biological. I just argued pros and cons and lightly touched biolgical as thinking they'd of asked for it if they wanted. GUTTED

i did the same thing. im hoping i'd get sympathy marks. i need an A in this paper to scrape a B. thats how badly i need those marks. i still dont understand why they'd want biological though. its done now though
Reply 9
look. theres no saying that they wanted biological, that was just one way of answering the question, which i personally went for because i felt i had more factual stuff to say for it instead of the same old "deterministic" crap.

you could still have gotten full marks.
Reply 10
i have my doubts that i have done badly in two ways. firstly i may be overly sensitive for this one but question 4 b asked us to explain culture bias in 2 studies. i did milgram and freud vietnamese women, and explained why they are culturally bias but i dont know if i was meant to do something like margaret mead and freeman. secondly through no fault but my own i think i fudged appoaches for not answering the right question. Basically i saw the adventure bit and thought biology and did all the things like adrenaline e.t.c and anything else i think it would have been 6/6 but the question said desires for. all i was then able to do was run back and say the initial desire would be from a dangerous situation they have previously experienced and this leads to thrill seeking.
Reply 11
freud studied on Viennese women.
pMSL vietnemese women

POST OF THE DAY!!
Reply 13
ahhh i said vietnamese women. But thats a minor! im also hoping for sympath marks lol! they should make their questions clearer. It the same problem for religious studies they dont say what they want. Dan for the culteral question that should have been ok i reckon. I did echnage relationship theory and talked about dsm-western and used. But as they say whats done is done.................. And in august we'll know
Reply 14
hangover_cure
pMSL vietnemese women

POST OF THE DAY!!

lol I used to think he studied 'vietnamese women' too, I must have read it wrong from the start and never realised until my mate laughed in my face and corrected me 1 day! :biggrin:
Reply 15
LOL hopefully i will get marks for adding humour to the exam. god i am stupid lol
Reply 16
i did wonder why an austrian would study vietnamese women lol

ps edit button didnt work
Reply 17
I thought it was Vietnamese at first, too :biggrin:
Reply 18
dan_black
i did wonder why an austrian would study vietnamese women lol

lol!! :biggrin:
Reply 19
Damn... I've been thinking it was that all year long...

I wouldn't put anything past Freud.

Latest

Trending

Trending