The Student Room Group

Do Russell Group Unis accept btec level 3 extended diploma + 1 A Level?

Hi everyone,
I feel like leaving sixth form as i am not enjoying so I am looking for some options if i am to leave. One of my options are to go to college and study btec level 3 in it and computing and probably attempt to get atleast DDD or D*DD and with that I want to be a private candidate for A Level Maths. My aim is to be accepted to a degree of computer science. What I would like to ask is, are russell groups ok with BTEC Level 3 IT (Software development) and an additional A Level Maths with it???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You'd need to look at the individual requirements for each university you're interested in. For us, we'd much prefer to see A Levels, but we would consider a student with that combination. We talk about this here: http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/ugadmissions/why_oxford/standard_conditional_offers.html
Reply 3
Obviously Oxford is a dream, but I don't know if it is reality for me. Any chances like University of Birmingham, Bath, Bristol etc..
Reply 4
I did a BTEC in IT and software and managed to get into kings college London. Although, I still see myself as very VERY lucky.
Reply 5
Original post by Sheun
I did a BTEC in IT and software and managed to get into kings college London. Although, I still see myself as very VERY lucky.

Was this for computer science?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by ojusrane
Was this for computer science?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, with robotics. Of course, the course was fairly new when I applied.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Sheun

Why do you think your lucky?
Reply 8
Why do you think your lucky?

Because even back then I knew that, on a whole, a lot of universities, never mind top ranking ones like kings, still preferred the traditional A-levels over BTEC's. I also, during my 2 years at college, had to resit a couple of GCSE'S I failed at secondary school the results of which I did not get until the end of my last year of college before I made the application. And they STILL gave me a conditional offer despite knowing that.

The only reason I even had the courage to apply was because I had an encouraging tutor, lecturers and friends who believed I could do it. I also put it down to my personal statement which played a big part in it as well.

So yes, I am very lucky.
Reply 9
At Nottingham with a Btec it isn't hard to get into a Russell group uni with a btec if you want to do computer science. My friend also at Nottingham got accepted into Birmingham and King's College as well, I played it safe though and had Nottingham as my only Russell Group uni.
Reply 10
Original post by ImNew
At Nottingham with a Btec it isn't hard to get into a Russell group uni with a btec if you want to do computer science. My friend also at Nottingham got accepted into Birmingham and King's College as well, I played it safe though and had Nottingham as my only Russell Group uni.

Seriously?? Your friend rejected birmingham, there like one of the top 7 for computer science
Reply 11
Seriously?? Your friend rejected birmingham, there like one of the top 7 for computer science

The rankings change every year employers know the generally better and worse unis.
Reply 12
Original post by ImNew
The rankings change every year employers know the generally better and worse unis.

Wow which employer told you this then??
Reply 13
For those who studied BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma, do you think I will have anytime to do my maths revision, as I hear theres a lot of coursework?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
I am also doing BTEC Science Level 3 and also A-level Mathematics. I want to do Nanotechnology at University of Leeds although I might not have a chance to get into the course with the BTEC. Do you know anyone who was in this particular situation before?
I appreciate if you answered my question.
Reply 15
Wow which employer told you this then??

Typical "you have to hear the exact words from an exact person for it to be true" I haven't ever been to Pluto or seen it through a telescope but I know it is there.
Reply 16
For those who studied BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma, do you think I will have anytime to do my maths revision, as I hear theres a lot of coursework?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're basically doing the equivalent to 4 A Levels, I do a BTEC and find it easy to manage my time.
Reply 17
Original post by Blazinq
You're basically doing the equivalent to 4 A Levels, I do a BTEC and find it easy to manage my time.

Do you feel you have more time off in the first year than the next or do you have equal time off in the two years?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Do you feel you have more time off in the first year than the next or do you have equal time off in the two years?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess it ultimately depends on what course you do, and your teachers, I'm in my 2nd year, and most of my lessons are just a brief outline on what we have to do, and then us having to do essays in that. It really depends on what the teacher wants you to do, because one of my teachers just gives us work for us to complete, whereas the rest we have to do essays and stuff.

Though I would say I did have more time off in the first year.

If I must say, I do think you should carry on with A Levels though, but that's up to you.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Blazinq
I guess it ultimately depends on what course you do, and your teachers, I'm in my 2nd year, and most of my lessons are just a brief outline on what we have to do, and then us having to do essays in that. It really depends on what the teacher wants you to do, because one of my teachers just gives us work for us to complete, whereas the rest we have to do essays and stuff.

Though I would say I did have more time off in the first year.

If I must say, I do think you should carry on with A Levels though, but that's up to you.

What course are you doing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending