The Student Room Group

Console gaming becoming too expensive?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Tom_green_day
I bought The Saboteur for £7 and I've already but about 50 hours into it. That's crazy value!

I rented that game for 'free'. It still cost me part of my soul. I can't think of one demographic that game doesn't offend. >_>
Original post by ozzyoscy
I rented that game for 'free'. It still cost me part of my soul. I can't think of one demographic that game doesn't offend. >_>

Are we talking about the same game? The one set in Paris? I can't think of anyone it offends?
Or are we talking about GTA5, the topic of this thread?
Reply 22
Original post by Bhumbauze
I'm not...

Assuming that all of the "basics" (HDD, SSD, good monitor, case, little stuff like optical drives / wireless cards etc.) are already in place, to stay up to date with PC gaming (play the latest releases on "high" or "ultra"... not even top of the range), like I said you need a new CPU (and therefore almost certainly Motherboard) every 4 years and a new graphics card every 2 years.

Assuming, then, £250 a pop (a decent estimate for a good graphics card or mobo/CPU combo at any given time) you'll have 4 graphics cards and 2 CPU/mobo spends in 8 years... so £1500. And that's assuming that you don't want to upgrade anything else, like gaming KB / mouse or a new monitor. And actually thinking about it... you're likely to need at least one HD / SSD replacement in that amount of time.

You CAN push it for longer between upgrades but you'll be playing new releases on "medium" settings and probably at a reduced framerate - usually still better than a multiplatform counterpart on console but... annoying, especially if you go looking at videos of the same game on full settings.

I've definitely spent at least £2000 on PC hardware in the last 8 years, and I only do the bare minimum as I've got mouths to feed and can't justify many big spends. That only works out at £250 a year so it's not huge... BUT, if I was young, free and single I can guarantee I'd be spending more. I only bought my current graphics card 14 months ago and I'm already itching for an upgrade :biggrin:.

In contrast, in the same amount of time I've spent less than £500 on console hardware... a PS3 quite close to release, a 360 late in the game for £90, and a few controllers etc.

On the other hand, while I've probably spent over £1000 on console games, I can't have spent more than a few hundred on PC games.

So like I said it's hard to work out what's more costly... although, obviously PC has the clear "bang for your buck" advantage every "cycle" as it overtakes the latest console generation within a couple of years. For example, the last game I played through was The Last of Us on PS3 - probably one of the best games I've ever played - but there were SEVERAL times when I found myself thinking "...this would look so much better on PC".

All of your assumptions are ridiculous.

I've got it down to £564 for a computer that will last for years on end, and that includes a lot of parts that will last a lot longer than that.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by GreatSnowman
the price of the games is a reason why im sticking to Pc gaming even if there are loads of games out there for consoles that i want to play, even though new pc games have been going up in price to around £35 depending on game, its still alot cheaper than console games by a wide margin

It's pretty much the main reason why I am a PC gamer too, that and I like the extra pretties!

However, towards the end of a console generation I do go over to the dark side and pick up a console.

I did it with the original Xbox, and I've just done it with the PS3.

Why? Because I managed to get the console, plus GTA, plus The Last of Us for £160, and because it's near the start of the next generation I have the whole back catalogue of games to buy from, and most of the "must play" games are now a bit older and so nice and cheap.
Original post by BlueSam3
All of your assumptions are ridiculous.

I've got it down to £564 for a computer that will last for years on end, and that includes a lot of parts that will last a lot longer than that.

A computer that you buy now for £564 will 100%, definitely, certainly not play the newest games in 5 years time on anything but the lowest settings. For it to outlast the PS4/ Xbone you will have to upgrade at LEAST once, bringing your minimum instantly to £1128, not hugely below what I said. £1500.
Original post by Miss Lola
You really can get a PC for under £500 that will play almost every game perfectly.

When you consider the fact that most people need a PC anyway, even if they only play games on consoles - and if you add in the price of whichever console they choose - PC gaming definitely works out cheaper.

Yes, every CURRENT game, that doesn't mean it'll play every game in 5 to 7 years time when the next gen of consoles will still be in action. Like I said above - it definitely won't. I'd be skeptical about it running even the first years' worth of next gen console releases "perfectly"... by the time the devs get up to speed with the latest console tech you will need to upgrade.

For example; my PC at the start of the PS3 / 360's lifespan was a Core2Duo with an NVidia 8800GT. It played every new multiplatform release effortlessly.

Releases from the last year or two? It would grind to a stuttering halt. There's no two ways about it.
Original post by AaronBoyo
Does anyone else think that Console gaming is becoming insanely expensive these days? GTA around £45.00 for example.... Do you think this will put people off Consoles? It's a huge chunk of money every time there is a new release!!

I've switched to computer gaming for precisely this reason. Steam sales...
Reply 27
If you are willing to wait maybe 6-12 months after a console has been released i think prices seem more reasonable. The release day price is always going to be higher because they know people will pay.

In terms of games i would apply the same rule but just change the time frame to 1-2 months exp when you buy Used Games, prices are much more reasonable. I reackon next month i would be able to get GTA V for £30 pounds or a used one for about the same. Maybe 2 months later it would be 25-35 used.

Its just a waiting game for me :biggrin:
Reply 28
A computer that you buy now for £564 will 100%, definitely, certainly not play the newest games in 5 years time on anything but the lowest settings. For it to outlast the PS4/ Xbone you will have to upgrade at LEAST once, bringing your minimum instantly to £1128, not hugely below what I said. £1500.

Nope. That computer already has the processing power to match or beat the next-gen consoles. Games aren't going to need more than that, so it'll be perfectly capable of matching it with little to nothing in terms of upgrades.
Original post by Bloxorus
How is PC gaming cheaper? To be able to play games on a PC with comparable performance to a console you need to spend at the very minimum around £700-£800 but most of the time much more than that.

I spent £500 on my laptop and it has as good, or better performance than current gen consoles. I spent £500 on my desktop two years ago, and it trounces current gen consoles. I've also spent about £300 on my steam library and my xbox and PS3 libraries: Steam games - 130, Xbox and PS3 combined - 20. Next gen I'm not getting any consoles, tbh, the only game I'm glad that I had my Xbox and PS3 for was Red Dead Redemption. (I don't own them now, sadly. As I do want to play some more exclusives, especially the last of us and GTA V (While it remains console only))
Original post by BlueSam3
Nope. That computer already has the processing power to match or beat the next-gen consoles. Games aren't going to need more than that, so it'll be perfectly capable of matching it with little to nothing in terms of upgrades.

Consoles use standard components, this means that console games can be optimised in ways that PC games can't. They also run low-profile operating systems designed for gaming, unlike resource-hungry Windows / DirectX. You can't compare the hardware like-for-like and assume the same performance.
Reply 31
You also have to remember that the PC that you have just spent say £500 on, is still a computer, you can use it to browse the web or anything else you use a computer for. SO assuming that you're typing comments on a computer, you've probably already spent at a minimum £300 on your computer. That means that the "gaming" bit of the PC only really cost you £200 which, I believe is cheaper than next gen consoles (PS4/xbox one) and that is before you take into account the cost of games and any other points raised above...
Reply 32
Not at all. Games are the same price as they have been for years, GTA is the only one that seems to have an RRP of £45.99 and to be honest I'm happy paying another £5 for that, even more as I got the special edition.

If you're buying loads of games then possibly but 4-5 a year which to be honest is all I get now is fine.

Don't get me started on the console itself though, £55+ for an Xbox wireless adaptor, up to £20 for a HDMI cable, £30+ every time you want another wireless controller, £40 a year for live...!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by Tom_green_day
Are we talking about the same game? The one set in Paris? I can't think of anyone it offends?
Or are we talking about GTA5, the topic of this thread?

The Saboteur: The game covered in tits, with American voice actors delivering fake Allo Allo accents and Nazis speaking pseudo Germ-glish, that unashamedly monkeys Assassin's Creed (down to the synchornisation at high points), where the plot is that an Irish guy wants to bomb Nazis, not to help the French or the world, but because he lost a race.
Reply 34
Original post by Psyk
N64

:sexface:

i still have my N64
(edited 10 years ago)
Not really no, I bought my xbox about 5 years ago, can't remember how much it cost but I would imagine £200-£250, so that's £40 or £50 a year, hardly extortionate. As for games there is very rarely a game that comes out that I think I need to buy as soon as it comes out, GTA 5 is the only game I have thought this about in years, and £35 is hardly a ludicrous amount of money. Otherwise just wait for a little bit and pick up games for £15-£20 second hand.
Reply 36
Consoles use standard components, this means that console games can be optimised in ways that PC games can't. They also run low-profile operating systems designed for gaming, unlike resource-hungry Windows / DirectX. You can't compare the hardware like-for-like and assume the same performance.

The famed console optimisation over its life cycle is mostly a result of the coders getting to know all of the tricks involved in the architecture. As this generation uses an architecture that is already understood, you wont see nearly as big a gain.
I think the prices have been around that for a while now. Top games that are new will usually cost around £40 and places like Tesco seem to sell them for £35 anyway. I wouldn't say £45 is a huge increase and again, you can still get it for cheaper in Tesco for example at £38 or so.

The next generation console games might be more expensive though, so we'll see about that.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Jim-Jam
Not at all. Games are the same price as they have been for years, GTA is the only one that seems to have an RRP of £45.99 and to be honest I'm happy paying another £5 for that, even more as I got the special edition.

If you're buying loads of games then possibly but 4-5 a year which to be honest is all I get now is fine.

Don't get me started on the console itself though, £55+ for an Xbox wireless adaptor, up to £20 for a HDMI cable, £30+ every time you want another wireless controller, £40 a year for live...!

If you are paying £20 for an HDMI lead, then you are being royally fisted.

Here's one for 99p (inc. postage).
GTA was £34.99 on Amazon before it released. It has gone up now, though. I don't see how these prices are any different to 5-10 years ago? The vast majority of games release at about £40 online. The only exception being Call of Duty at around £45. People have done this for years, so I don't know why they'd decide that it's too expensive now. I'm sure games were more expensive during the PS1, Xbox and N64 days, but so many people had chipped PS1's and Xbox's it wasn't a huge problem for consumers.

Going into next gen doesn't look good, though. Most sites still have games priced at £45-£50. Maybe that's just the price for the early adopters, but worrying nonetheless.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest