The Student Room Group

Too much time on my hands!

Hope this is the right place to post this.. It's a bit of a trivial issue I have here..

My timetable at uni is pretty scarce to say the least!

I have Wednesdays off and only 2 or 3 hours worth of lectures a day and only 1 hour on a Friday.. Does anyone else have so little on their timetable? I'm paying a tuition fee for a full time course and this doesn't sound like a full time timetable to me?! Is it just me?!

I live away from the uni about 10-20 mins in a car depending on traffic because I am still living at home and twice a week I have a four hour gap between lectures which is a little bit annoying, what can I do in this time?? I don't really want to waste money on busses coming and going multiple times a day.. Suppose I should have gone into halls but that just didn't add up for me when I have a perfectly good home in the same city. Thoughts?

Merci

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

You're going to have independent study too. In those gaps, go to the library and do some work. It well soon start to feel noticeably more full time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Use those 4 hour gaps wisely, I'm living at home too and will be using gaps in between lectures to get work done so that I can have my evenings free (or at least, slightly more free than if I were to be doing everything after uni). You're doing a full time course, but that doesn't mean you'll be in lectures 40 hours a week. University is all about independent study, although you may only have a few contact hours a week you should still be treating it pretty much like a full time job.
I'm assuming you've only just started, right? Trust me, the workload will begin to get intense soon enough. You'll feel like you don't have enough time to complete that essay for that upcoming deadline soon enough..

You need to go over the material that your lecturer went through with you in your own time, do your own practice questions, and your own prep for the next lecture - this is enough to take up all your spare time in a day, no? Do extra reading to further your knowledge if not. I have big gaps between lectures too - go to the library and get a headstart on your independent study. Just because someone has given you a lecture on the topic doesn't mean you know it, you need to sit down with a nice hefty textbook and go through it yourself. :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks everyone! I suppose it's just these first couple weeks I'm wondering what to do with.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There was an article a few months back (can't remember which newspaper) in which a few university students were interviewed about their thoughts and experiences, and a couple of them also said that they didn't feel they were getting enough lecture/tuition time for the price they're paying.

In several European countries tuition is free, or minimal, and there is a lot more tuition time. In fact some courses here in Germany have practically 9-5 tuition. Gotta love the UK. The hipster of Europe.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
If you take into account that for each hour of tuition you are expected to do at least 3-5 hour of independent study it will add up to about 40 hours of studying anyways so you won't have that much free time anyways.
Original post by bethanychoo
Thanks everyone! I suppose it's just these first couple weeks I'm wondering what to do with.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Take these first couple of weeks as 'adjustment' weeks. Try and find some things to do in your city whilst you have the time, do something new or go to new places to that you can feel fulfilled socially (if not academically!)

It's good you're so keen though!
Reply 8
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
There was an article a few months back (can't remember which newspaper) in which a few university students were interviewed about their thoughts and experiences, and a couple of them also said that they didn't feel they were getting enough lecture/tuition time for the price they're paying.

In several European countries tuition is free, or minimal, and there is a lot more tuition time. In fact some courses here in Germany have practically 9-5 tuition. Gotta love the UK. The hipster of Europe.

Yes well done to the UK for charging redic tuition fees! Don't get me started haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by klika89
If you take into account that for each hour of tuition you are expected to do at least 3-5 hour of independent study it will add up to about 40 hours of studying anyways so you won't have that much free time anyways.

Thanks :smile: like I said it's just these first few weeks, I guess I will get more work and need the spare time to do it and other reading etc :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by WhamBamJam.
Take these first couple of weeks as 'adjustment' weeks. Try and find some things to do in your city whilst you have the time, do something new or go to new places to that you can feel fulfilled socially (if not academically!)

It's good you're so keen though!

So basically you're saying to just enjoy this free time while I still can! Quite right, thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know how you feel, I've never had more than 12 hours contact time & this semester (3rd year) I only have 6. I think except around deadline time I'm going to be so bored especially as my housemates are in a lot more.
Reply 12
Original post by jelly1000
I know how you feel, I've never had more than 12 hours contact time & this semester (3rd year) I only have 6. I think except around deadline time I'm going to be so bored especially as my housemates are in a lot more.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. God, 6 hours is nothing. I only have about 8. I think I'll join the gym.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I start next Saturday so pray for us who are still stuck at home and have nothing to do. Anyways, I suggest exploring the neigbourhood around the campus and sight-seeing in the town/city you're in. Go look at the landmarks, museums, etc. Search out the best places to shop (clothes mainly but food too I guess) and eat. I plan on doing this if I'm bored in the first few weeks.
Reply 14
Original post by RomanZolanksi
I start next Saturday so pray for us who are still stuck at home and have nothing to do. Anyways, I suggest exploring the neigbourhood around the campus and sight-seeing in the town/city you're in. Go look at the landmarks, museums, etc. Search out the best places to shop (clothes mainly but food too I guess) and eat. I plan on doing this if I'm bored in the first few weeks.

I'm from the city I'm at uni in so I kind of know the city inside out and seen everything there is to see! I may catch a film one day or shop, but there are only so many times I can look round town in a week haha! Thanks for replying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You should have studied a STEM subject if you wanted more contact hours. The 'mickey mouse' degree you're studying isn't worth the paper it is written on, and you're effectively being fleeced.
Reply 16
Which degree are you studying xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Boyce Avenue
You should have studied a STEM subject if you wanted more contact hours. The 'mickey mouse' degree you're studying isn't worth the paper it is written on, and you're effectively being fleeced.

Well that's encouraging

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by T1gga92
Which degree are you studying xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Criminology major with psychology minor :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Do sports or play a game ? tetris is fun lol

Quick Reply

Latest