The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by moritzplatz
yeah, but they prove the lack thereof.

Exactly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
yeah, but they can be a strong hint of the lack of it.

They don't necessarily prove that either. Ahh, you've edited your comment now.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 122
Original post by Robbie242
Then your initial comment was a little silly and it made me assume you needed an S1 lesson :tongue:

Well, when I made the comment I was thinking about the Cambridge and Oxford threads where most people have at least 2 A*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arieisit
Well, when I made the comment I was thinking about the Cambridge and Oxford threads where most people have at least 2 A*

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Oxbridge threads do not constitute of the majority of TSR users. :tongue:
Reply 124
Original post by Felix Felicis
The Oxbridge threads do not constitute of the majority of TSR users. :tongue:

I usually don't read other threads :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Felix Felicis
They don't necessarily prove that either. Ahh, you've edited your comment now.

yeah, it was a bit extreme. I still think there is a pretty good correlation between stupidity and low grades.
Yep yep yep. I have seen these sort of arguments that deny jealousy before. People come up with all sorts of reasons to justify their choices and even if they were lying to themselves, they lie long enough that they actually believe it.

I know this may be news to you, but try your best to wrap your mind around this. Get ready.

Some people just don't want to go to Oxbridge. They just don't.

Let that sink in. Deep breath. Relax. Let the anxiety go. And again-

Some people just don't want to go to Oxbridge. Or at least, it's not their one and only life goal. This whole "Oxbridge or bust" mentality is just not normal.

For instance, I definitely don't. I looked around Oxford multiple times and just hated the feel of the place - all the staff I talked to were stuffy and rude, and the city felt too congested and too, well, grey for my liking. Cambridge I liked, and I'll apply when the time comes, but I'll be happy wherever I go.

Besides, I also realised that the only reason I wanted to go to Oxbridge in the first place was that so I could brag to people about it later & have them instantly think of me as "intelligent" and "superior". I also wanted to be able to put it on my Facebook 'education' section and then sit there and be smug.
I still think there is a pretty good correlation between stupidity and low grades.

Mm, debatable. There's a correlation between not being good at taking tests and low grades, but I wouldn't go as far as saying not being good at taking tests = stupidity.
Original post by Robbie242
Do you even know the definition of an average?

An average is essentially the mean. You have many people here with Cs and Bs, a few small cases of A*A*A*A*A* (which is frankly ridiculous) which are extremely rare, the average is deduced using the formula xn\dfrac{\sum x}{n} where sum x is essentially the sum of all of the grades then divided by the number of people.

So the average is more like AAA if you really think about it, A*AA at max.

On a completely unrelated topic, I met a guy with 8A* 1A. No that's not GCSE, they were his A-Level results. :eek:

Some of these international students just storm the competition.
Reply 129
Original post by Катя
Mm, debatable. There's a correlation between not being good at taking tests and low grades, but I wouldn't go as far as saying not being good at taking tests = stupidity.

For what reasons would someone not be good at taking tests?
Reply 130

That's a bit like going to a room full of aspiring chess grandmasters, asking what their rating is then saying that's the average chess rating. It's not representative data.

Likewise the Oxbridge threads aren't representative of TSR let alone the entire student body :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by contrapositive
Why is it not a good way?

The current exam system is very dull, and can easily be "cheated" (i.e. memorise the technique, put the facts in the right places, and hey presto, A*). It's essentially about learning to take tests and not actually learning.

The ideal exam, I think, is the exam All Souls College Oxford used to do. You know, where they give you a word and three hours, and you need to make something out of that word. (As in, an essay.) In fact, their general papers are also really, really good.

Seriously. It's all just so beautiful.

http://www.all-souls.ox.ac.uk/userfiles/file/EF/PastPapers/General.pdf

Nothing irritates me more than sitting in a lesson and listening to a teacher spend 40 minutes plus telling us how to get the marks. I mean... I don't want to be a good French exam taker, I want to be a good linguist. The two are very different.
Original post by Катя

Tbh, it depends on how you define stupidity. If you define it as mental retardation to the point where you can't even support yourself in your own life e.g. do any jobs, take care of yourself, then poor grades are no indication of it. If you define it as poor ability in an academic subject (and this is assuming the person generally worked very hard for it/ had no extenuating circumstances) then it would generally tend to suggest that they're not very good at that particular subject and wouldn't survive a degree in it (I say generally because, as always, there are exceptions).
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ElChapo
For what reasons would someone not be good at taking tests?

Difficulty concentrating? No motivation?

I mean, that's like saying that someone who's not good at jumping is inherently bad at sport. After all, there's more to good sportsmanship, and not just physical things, right? Same goes for intelligence. It's not purely all down to whether or not you can satisfy the mark scheme; I know a lot of people who got A*s in Further Maths, for instance, but just can't hold a decent conversation about anything that's not directly applicable to everyday life. Likewise, I know people who didn't do "well" in their A levels (well, by TSR standards anyway) and talking to them is the most intellectually stimulating thing ever.
Reply 134
Original post by Катя
The current exam system is very dull, and can easily be "cheated" (i.e. memorise the technique, put the facts in the right places, and hey presto, A*). It's essentially about learning to take tests and not actually learning.

The ideal exam, I think, is the exam All Souls College Oxford used to do. You know, where they give you a word and three hours, and you need to make something out of that word. (As in, an essay.) In fact, their general papers are also really, really good.

Seriously. It's all just so beautiful.

http://www.all-souls.ox.ac.uk/userfiles/file/EF/PastPapers/General.pdf

Nothing irritates me more than sitting in a lesson and listening to a teacher spend 40 minutes plus telling us how to get the marks. I mean... I don't want to be a good French exam taker, I want to be a good linguist. The two are very different.

The truly exceptional students overcome this exam technique be all and end all phenomenon. They truly understand the material and those are the same type of students that did well in that Oxford exam you speak of. Its the same type of students that do well on STEP, MAT, PAT etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by contrapositive
I don't mean to be rude, but that is a typical excuse of people who are not good at exams.

Believe it or not, that actually is the case for a lot of people.

Some people shine in discussions, some shine when they're writing, et cetera, et cetera; intelligence isn't something that can be boxed up and ticked off.
Original post by Катя
Difficulty concentrating? No motivation?

I mean, that's like saying that someone who's not good at jumping is inherently bad at sport. After all, there's more to good sportsmanship, and not just physical things, right? Same goes for intelligence. It's not purely all down to whether or not you can satisfy the mark scheme; I know a lot of people who got A*s in Further Maths, for instance, but just can't hold a decent conversation about anything that's not directly applicable to everyday life. Likewise, I know people who didn't do "well" in their A levels (well, by TSR standards anyway) and talking to them is the most intellectually stimulating thing ever.

I think intelligence is one of the hardest things to define and measure.

The way I look at it, if one tries to get good grades and fails, then the person is not very intelligent.
I sense a bit of jealously. Not everyone can be the brightest bulb you know :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I sense a bit of insecurity, and a burning need for validation. Not everyone can survive without needing "proof" of their intelligence on paper :smile:
Reply 138
Original post by Катя
I know this may be news to you, but try your best to wrap your mind around this. Get ready.

Some people just don't want to go to Oxbridge. They just don't.

Let that sink in. Deep breath. Relax. Let the anxiety go. And again-

Some people just don't want to go to Oxbridge. Or at least, it's not their one and only life goal. This whole "Oxbridge or bust" mentality is just not normal.

For instance, I definitely don't. I looked around Oxford multiple times and just hated the feel of the place - all the staff I talked to were stuffy and rude, and the city felt too congested and too, well, grey for my liking. Cambridge I liked, and I'll apply when the time comes, but I'll be happy wherever I go.

Besides, I also realised that the only reason I wanted to go to Oxbridge in the first place was that so I could brag to people about it later & have them instantly think of me as "intelligent" and "superior". I also wanted to be able to put it on my Facebook 'education' section and then sit there and be smug.

Some people unlike you want to go to Oxbridge because they give probably the most valuable education available.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Катя
I sense a bit of insecurity, and a burning need for validation. Not everyone can survive without needing "proof" of their intelligence on paper :smile:

Aren't you the one who made a thread saying your life would be over if you didn't get into Trinity College, Cambridge? :curious:

Latest