The Student Room Group

Graduate - scared i'm not good enough to get a job

I have a first class degree in an Education related subject and i'm now a qualified professional in that field (not teaching, but I don't want to say what it is to protect my identity).

I've been in a part-time job since. I'm looking for jobs, but I just don't believe sometimes that i'm good enough or that I can compete. I have over 3 years worth of experience in my sector (voluntary and paid) and did placement throughout my degree. It seems like everything I do i'm never good enough. I even went to a jobs fair in my crappy town and i was turned away everywhere because I'm a graduate (a representative for an agency even said they generally don't take on grads because they just use the job as a 'stepping stone' towards something better).

Everytime I have my CV looked at they say it's great and the careers department must see me every week, but I never even get through to the applications process. I don't even know if I'm even good enough or worthy enough to earn over £15,000 even these days. No one in my family has ever seen over that amount of money.

I've been living with my mum since July and i'm incredibly worried about my future. It just feels like i'm gonna be living with my mum all my life and just in 8 hour jobs like i am now. It's related to my degree, but I can't get anywhere in my position due to lack of opportunities and cuts (I work in the public sector).

It seems like I'll be stuck on this poor estate with no opportunities all my life (all I'll say is that i'm in a **** part of Yorkshire). All I want is to earn enough so I can move away from my mum :frown: To make things worse my GCSE maths is still holding me back from some jobs.

Someone even told me i'm too honest and that no-one will ever employ me because i'm too honest and i need to bull**** more.

I just feel as though my life is at a halt and that it's ended. I hate living with my mum and i'm ashamed of myself at the moment tbh as i'm 25. Some will say 'shut up and be thankful', but I HATE living with my mum. We do not get on and we have different lives and I don't even have a bed to sleep on.

I don't even know what to do anymore. Is the only thing I can do is carry on applying and looking for jobs and carry on my survival job.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending