The Student Room Group

AS Level Maths and Physics big step up from GCSE?

Hi,

does AS level Maths and Physics seem to be a big step up from GCSE? I want to have full AS level maths and physics combined with the option module, I have an A in maths for GCSE and an A for physics, but I only have 4 months to study, does this time period seem realistic, if you're working hard every day?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

I would say that both are large steps up from GCSE, Maths very much so.

I would find it difficult to study them both to a good standard in only 4 months, especially if you are doing other things alongside them. Are you only doing those two?

Are you planning on self teaching?
Reply 2
Original post by MelonSponge
I would say that both are large steps up from GCSE, Maths very much so.

I would find it difficult to study them both to a good standard in only 4 months, especially if you are doing other things alongside them. Are you only doing those two?

Are you planning on self teaching?

I read somewhere that C1 and C2 maths are not that big steps up from GCSE, and yes... with a tutor
The step up isn't necessarily due to difficulty, rather the huge amount of brand new content that you will have to get to grips with.

My college maths teacher told us that the step from GCSE to AS is much harder than the step between AS and A2, and so far that has proven to be correct.

However, if you work very hard I think what you are trying will be possible.
Reply 4
How does the grading system work once you do A2? and what are the grade boundaries roughly like? higher than GCSE?

Thanks
Your AS grades will make up 50% of the whole grade alongside the other 50% from A2.

Grade boundaries are the same for both, A-80% B-70% C-60% and so on.

If you get 80% in AS, and 90% in A2, you will be given an A* overall.

From what I understand, that is the same for most if not all A levels, so it is fairly easy to get used to.
Reply 6
I found the difference between gcse and a level maths laughable at the beginning. C3 was a little more difficult and it did step up again at c4 but it's not really too much.
I found a more noticeable step up for physics but it didn't really increase much from the intensity at the beginning. Both are very manageable. I got an A* in A Level maths and A in AS physics both in my first year with about 2-3 hours of work outside of class for physics a week and practically nothing for maths - maybe an hour some weeks.
Just keep up in lessons. :smile:
Reply 7
Your AS grades will make up 50% of the whole grade alongside the other 50% from A2.

Grade boundaries are the same for both, A-80% B-70% C-60% and so on.

If you get 80% in AS, and 90% in A2, you will be given an A* overall.

From what I understand, that is the same for most if not all A levels, so it is fairly easy to get used to.

I believe an A for GCSE was somewhere around the 70 mark?
Reply 8
Would it still be do-able to do 3 AS levels in four months if I thrash my brain?
Reply 9
Original post by lolomg
Would it still be do-able to do 3 AS levels in four months if I thrash my brain?

I think so. A guy fast tracked 4 ASs and 3 a2s this year at my college. He got AABa so not too bad. The subjects were maths, physics, chemistry and critical thinking and he is now studying chemical engineering somewhere

Posted from TSR Mobile
honestly didnt find much of a difference between any of my gcses and alevels. was like another year of gcse imo...slightly hardeer individual subjects...but fewer subjects overall

for maths there is like no stepup to AS. C1 is just small extensions ofvarious topics in GCSE. Physics is more mathematical...so if youre mathsy then theres really next to no step up...if not then maybe there is..i cant speak for the latter my self
Reply 11
Thanks, I would appreciate if someone could explain how the grading system works. :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Occams Chainsaw
I found the difference between gcse and a level maths laughable at the beginning. C3 was a little more difficult and it did step up again at c4 but it's not really too much.
I found a more noticeable step up for physics but it didn't really increase much from the intensity at the beginning. Both are very manageable. I got an A* in A Level maths and A in AS physics both in my first year with about 2-3 hours of work outside of class for physics a week and practically nothing for maths - maybe an hour some weeks.
Just keep up in lessons. :smile:

when you say outside of class, do you mean revision or work set by your teacher

i am also finding the step up, so far, laughable in maths
Reply 13
Original post by JPL9457
when you say outside of class, do you mean revision or work set by your teacher

i am also finding the step up, so far, laughable in maths

2 hours of homework (one from each lecturer) and about 25 minutes of revising my notes per week per lecturer (4 lectures over 2 teachers so 50 minutes) that included cross-checking with the syllabus to get my notes in good order for when I came to revise from them. In honesty, I probably spent less time than I am forecasting on each task. An hour long homework was what the teachers advertised. I usually did it in 35 minutes with half of that done in the lecture and then my notes would only take 10 minutes look over to make sure that everything on the syllabus was included in our lessons so I didn't have to ask the teacher why they didn't include it or work on it on my own (which I was was compelled to do because the year before us missed out a topic in physics and got a double sided piece of A4 paper on it on the last lecture :rolleyes:)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
if u are confident with A* topics at GCSE then you should be fine with AS maths
Reply 15
yes
Reply 16
The step up isn't necessarily due to difficulty, rather the huge amount of brand new content that you will have to get to grips with.

This
Reply 17
It's no that big a step up tbh. Maths is just the higher gcse stuff with some basic calculus thrown and physics just takes a bit of work in order to get your head around (not that much if you've got a half decent teacher)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
How does the grading system work once you have done A2? (example AAB) ect...
Reply 19
Hi, I have an idea what if I choose all easy modules, since to be honest I only have 3 and a half months. I had a look at the AS Physics textbook today at a book store and, it looks do able with some work. I took a look at C1 and C3 maths a couple of weeks back, and that seems possible too, so I thought if I do like C1 C2 and an easy option module, and also the same with physics. It could be possible. ?

Thanks Brett

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending