The Student Room Group

A2 Biology Discussion and Help

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HarryMWilliams
I'd encourage all any any students, interested in taking a biology-based degree to seriously consider the olympiad. :biggrin:

Can university student do it?
Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW
x

Unfortunately, I think the BBO is just for post-16 students, while the BC is open to year 9 - 11 (depending on where you study).
Unfortunately, I think the BBO is just for post-16 students, while the BC is open to year 9 - 11 (depending on where you study).

Alright, thank you :smile:
Reply 23
Great idea - as with the AS thread.

I've survived OCR AS and A2 Biology so if anyone has anything OCR specific, quote me!

where do i learn definitions from? i always seem to lose marks from them (from Heineman book)
Reply 24
Great idea - as with the AS thread.

I've survived OCR AS and A2 Biology so if anyone has anything OCR specific, quote me!

Hi.. im having alot of trouble with these ocr bio exams.. I just dont know how to revise for them. I will learn the content well but then I just dont understand how to answer the exam questions.. especially 'suggest' questions.. would u be so kind to offer me some tips on how to improve my revision style.. and a good way to prepare for f214 and f215.. im currently in year 13. Having achieved 230/300 in AS biology . Thanks!
Original post by theworld
x

The best method I've found is not just repeatedly going over them (although that can help for some), but you should really aim to incorporate the key words into phrases and sentences. If you can utilise them in that manner, you'll be a step closer to using them without thinking about it.

OK - when it comes to the 'suggest' questions, you really need to tackle the questions in a wider context. Don't just look at what the question says and start answering it, you really need to think about what the question means before then starting your answer. I've answered a 4/6 mark question before then realising that I've totally missed the point. I know it sounds silly, and obvious, but think about the question before you then answer it.
Reply 26
The best method I've found is not just repeatedly going over them (although that can help for some), but you should really aim to incorporate the key words into phrases and sentences. If you can utilise them in that manner, you'll be a step closer to using them without thinking about it.

OK - when it comes to the 'suggest' questions, you really need to tackle the questions in a wider context. Don't just look at what the question says and start answering it, you really need to think about what the question means before then starting your answer. I've answered a 4/6 mark question before then realising that I've totally missed the point. I know it sounds silly, and obvious, but think about the question before you then answer it.

Thanks for that. How should i revise though? I have both F214 and F215 in June. Should i learn all the content well and then attempt past paper qs? Or should i do past paper qs as i revise?

I would do past paper questions, as you learn, so that you understand the exam format well in advance of actually sitting them.
Reply 28
I would do past paper questions, as you learn, so that you understand the exam format well in advance of actually sitting them.

Oh okay :smile: would you happen to know any sites which have the past paper exam questions arranged in topics of each unit of each exam?

Unfortunately no, my Sixth Form did that for us and I'm afraid I don't have a copy. A quick search on here might bring up something similar though.
Reply 30
Can it be taken by university students?

'Fraid not.
Original post by Mattywooda
'Fraid not.

Oh, that's a shame, thank you for the reply though :smile:
Similar to the AS thread (which can be found here: clicky!) I'm going to stick this thread to the top of the page, to make it easier to find for any new members, so if you go searching through pages and pages of this particular forum and find nothing, you'll now know where to look. :biggrin:

As I said before, if anyone has any questions about the AS/A2 experience of Biology, especially the OCR course, just quote me.
Similar to the AS thread (which can be found here: clicky!) I'm going to stick this thread to the top of the page, to make it easier to find for any new members, so if you go searching through pages and pages of this particular forum and find nothing, you'll now know where to look. :biggrin:

As I said before, if anyone has any questions about the AS/A2 experience of Biology, especially the OCR course, just quote me.

Thank you for doing that, at least the thread I created is being put to good use and helping people :smile:

If anyone needs help, especially with AQA exam board, just quote me :biggrin:
x

No worries - I hope people find the thread helpful, no doubt it will become (naturally) more active as the academic year progresses.
No worries - I hope people find the thread helpful, no doubt it will become (naturally) more active as the academic year progresses.

Yes, threads like this always become jam packed either in November/December time for January exams (mocks now) or about March/April time :smile:
Reply 36
I have a question about lipid hormones. So, I understand that they bind to receptors inside of the target cell to initiate a response. However, what I don't get is how they identify target cells if their target cells do not have cell surface membrane receptors. Do they just have to diffuse through cells until they find a cell with the hormone's specific receptor, or what? If it is that, then why aren't they a lot slower at bringing about a response than protein hormones? What is even the point of them being transported in the blood if they're going to do things the slow, indirect way anyway?
We've just done our half term test on nerves, the nervous system, responses and ecosystems. Got 80% in the test... seems to be my lucky number!

Keep thinking I should do better but thankfully the grade boundaries for biology are ridiculously low!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys,

Last year I did OCR Biology, achieved a B. This year I moved sixth forms and am doing AQA now for A2.

Its the half term now and I'm making notes on the first 6 topics, a topic or two per day, however I noticed the specification for AQA hasn't got some of the stuff in the standard AQA Biology book e.g for the first topic, there is no mention of competition or predation in the specification.

So I'm wondering whether to go by the book or the specification when making notes because I don't want to waste time and learn things I don't need to learn.

Thank you.
Reply 39
Original post by knope
I have a question about lipid hormones. So, I understand that they bind to receptors inside of the target cell to initiate a response. However, what I don't get is how they identify target cells if their target cells do not have cell surface membrane receptors. Do they just have to diffuse through cells until they find a cell with the hormone's specific receptor, or what? If it is that, then why aren't they a lot slower at bringing about a response than protein hormones? What is even the point of them being transported in the blood if they're going to do things the slow, indirect way anyway?

They are a lot slower, protein hormones can create a response in minutes, lipid hormones can take an hour.

I don't what the benefit is and i can't find it online but I'm sure these hormones are just ones that don't need to happen instantly and might be damaging if it does occur rapidly. For example changing the concentration of blood glucose that can't really occur quickly. Don't trust me on this but, i'm not 100% but the first bit is right :P they are slower

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending