The Student Room Group

Why are so few of us learning another language? Call for action by Richard Howitt MEP

A call for action to reverse the “severe decline” in young people learning foreign languages has been made by Cambridgeshire’s representative in Brussels.
Richard Howitt MEP said knowledge of at least one other European language is important given that so much of the UK’s trade is done with the rest of Europe, despite English being recognised as the world language.
There has been a 30 per cent drop in the number of British universities offering degrees in French and a 50 per cent fall for German over the last decade, with numbers declining for A-level students too, the Labour politician said.
He added: “As students prepare to head back to university, it is very sad to see that the high level of language learning promoted in Cambridge is not being matched elsewhere in the country.
“The case for young British people to learn an EU foreign language is so important, given that more than half of the UK’s trade is with the rest of Europe and our businesses need staff who can speak the language of their customers.
“The new statistics on loss of language courses are directly reflected in a 17 per cent drop in the number of language students and a halving of numbers studying French or German A-levels over the last decade.

Read more: http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Cambridge/Warning-over-severe-decline-in-language-learning-20130923060155.htm#ixzz2fjfB6B3K

I have to agree with the MEP- learning another European language can be of immense advantage to a British student, as half of our trade is carried out with Europe. However, I also would not underestimate the value of learning non-European languages, although this may not be as practical due to their huge differences with English. English may be the world language, but it's always good to learn another one.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I agree too. I have cousins in Germany and Holland who can speak German/Dutch as well as English as they learn in school. They don't need to depend on us as much as we do them whenever they come here for holidays; they can speak English so they have the freedom of doing their own thing. They also would have the option of working abroad in any English-speaking country because of their language skills. I think bilingualism opens up a lot of doors.

And although I can't speak fluent French, the little vocabulary that I remembered from GCSE helped a great deal when I went on vacation to Paris :tongue:.
(edited 10 years ago)
Some people think that English is enough and don't see the need to learn another language which I think it's a bit arrogant really.
I stopped learning German because I wasn't as good at it as my other subjects, and the workload was so heavy it was bringing down my other A level grades. It's a shame, because I want to live in Germany at some point in my life, but I'm going to look for other opportunities to pick it back up later on.
Reply 4
It's a lot of effort for something that is likely to be of very little use, especially if it to speak to a European it is pretty likely the other person will be able to speak English to a high level.

I don't really see why it is a shame either. English is becoming an almost universal language, which would be brilliant in my opinion, languages are just barriers to communication.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Lost Cloud
I agree too. I have cousins in Germany and Holland who can speak German/Dutch as well as English as they learn in school. They don't need to depend on us as much as we do them whenever they come here for holidays; they can speak English so they have the freedom of doing their own thing. They also would have the option of working abroad in any English-speaking country because of their language skills. I think bilingualism opens up a lot of doors.

And although I can't speak fluent French, the little vocabulary that I remembered from GCSE helped a great deal when I went on vacation to Paris :tongue:.

I have to say, that's a great appeal of learning a foreign language. I don't think there's any other language apart from English that gives someone such a diversity in their choice of where to live/work if they learn it, and that's a problem for English speakers. Still, learning Spanish would give one quite a bit of choice over a great deal of the world in terms of where they would want to live.
Reply 6
becoz engrish iz teh mazter language of awllll!!
I might have been more interested in languages if the curriculum wasn't so horrifically basic. It focuses far too much on a few pieces of vocab and phrases, rather than the actual structure and grammar of the language (at least at GCSE) meaning that I still can't really structure any decent sentences despite getting an A* at GCSE level.
Reply 8
I agree. In hindsight I regret dropping French (it was so bland so I'm not at fault too much) and not even taking it to GCSE level, I'm in the process of learning it now though. I remember someone telling me that if you learn French then Spanish and Portugese are easier to learn. Definitely want to learn at least one other language, apart form the job benefits I think it'd just be pretty cool to be able to go abroad and speak the language.
Original post by justmyself
Some people think that English is enough and don't see the need to learn another language which I think it's a bit arrogant really.

It may be arrogant, but it is just a reflection of reality really. Virtually all young people in Europe can speak English, so there is little reason for most British people to learn other European languages. As for the rest of the world, virtually all of the educated middle classes can speak English. We have a massive advantage in the global race by being able to speak the world's language, so instead of wasting time pointlessly learning other languages we should invest that time in the curriculum to getting ahead at Maths and Science subjects. This is just common sense.
Reply 10
My teachers were pricks, I asked them could I do french but they wouldn't let me because I didn't do it in year 7-9, as a result I dropped out of the languages spectrum completely, hoping to self teach myself norwegian soon after uni starts
Reply 11
This isn't the people's fault, if it's not an important part of the curriculum like it is in other countries, people aren't going to take it seriously or put in the effort.
I posted in a thread like this awhile ago. Two major problems with the way languages are taught.

1) We were never convinced of the importance of languages, merely the importance of passing a language GCSE. Extremely cynical approach and useless in the long run, but the system creates it.

2) We are not taught languages early enough. Learning in state schools starts at Year 7, and it's vocabulary, basic stuff, learning by rote that a small child could do. A year to a few years later you are hit by puberty where your aptitude for learning new languages decreases significantly, and you personally become less motivated at school with all the hormones etc. The first casualties are the subjects we don't see as important i.e. languages.
Reply 13
Original post by Super Cicero
It may be arrogant, but it is just a reflection of reality really. Virtually all young people in Europe can speak English, so there is little reason for most British people to learn other European languages. As for the rest of the world, virtually all of the educated middle classes can speak English. We have a massive advantage in the global race by being able to speak the world's language, so instead of wasting time pointlessly learning other languages we should invest that time in the curriculum to getting ahead at Maths and Science subjects. This is just common sense.

I think there is quite a bit of truth in this.
Reply 14
Original post by navarre
Read more: http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Cambridge/Warning-over-severe-decline-in-language-learning-20130923060155.htm#ixzz2fjfB6B3K

I have to agree with the MEP- learning another European language can be of immense advantage to a British student, as half of our trade is carried out with Europe. However, I also would not underestimate the value of learning non-European languages, although this may not be as practical due to their huge differences with English. English may be the world language, but it's always good to learn another one.

I can only speak one language. I don't see why I should learn a language only to be at the same intelligence level with no more knowledge other than a different way of saying a word I already know in English.
If people want to learn a language because of personal interest or because they want to live in that country its great.

But in terms of the future of the country I think people overrate it a bit. Communication is getting easier all the time and if you speak English you will not be shut out of the global market.

Its like you get some people saying "we should teach our children to speak Chinese else they will be left behind". No.
I think learning a language is great for many reasons. Helps you to understand the English language better (especially if you were unfortunate enough to have horrific English lessons in school), opens you up to other languages, allows you to be more independent in many other countries etc.

The problem I see is that languages in school are not taught to a good standard. The curriculum covers basic vocab and contexts and has far too much emphasis on being instructed on word order and conjugations, when these things can be picked up by most when there is plenty of written an spoken stimulation. We were never taught about different tenses before we began to speak and write our native language, so why so much tunnel-vision for a foreign language. Increase the passages/ radio/ film etc and get kids writing and speaking by copying before you smash the motivation out of them with word order.

*disclaimer* - This is just my opinion. I see the importance in sentence structure etc just think it's a shame that is the bulk of language learning when reading and listening are proven to be effective.
I think learning another language is a great idea but I've never managed to stick at. Maybe one day...
Original post by navarre

how would they have any idea of trade in the first place if they dont know their economics?
Reply 19
Might be slightly off topic, but if you're wanting to learn a different language, take a look at benny the Irish polyglot! He has lots of motivational tips to learn languages

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending